Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,386 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my family is considering a move to Columbus. I noticed the crime rate is pretty high here on city-data. Why is that? I was a bit surprised to see that considering most of what I've read about Columbus is pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cybergreyz View Post
Hey guys, my family is considering a move to Columbus. I noticed the crime rate is pretty high here on city-data. Why is that? I was a bit surprised to see that considering most of what I've read about Columbus is pretty good.
Violent crime in Columbus continues to go down | The Columbus Dispatch

Violent crime is down about 30% since 2007, including a nearly 17% drop just since 2010 alone. Property crime is down almost 30% 2010-2014. The city is nowhere close to being on any most dangerous lists (not even the top 100), and its violent crime rate per 100K is toward the bottom of its peer group.

But perhaps you could be more specific on what you're seeing? I wouldn't put too much stock in the CD crime numbers. They don't seem to be regularly updated and I'm not sure what the source is. The numbers above are from the FBI.

Some neighborhoods are going to have more crime than others, like in any city, so if you have questions about specific neighborhoods, that would be better than looking at the whole city, anyway.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,386 times
Thank you, that's good to know. I wasn't looking at any particular neighborhood just yet, but I'm sure it varies like any metro area. Primarily I was simply looking at the city data info as well as this site:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

They state their info is from FBI data. However, when reading the overall description of Columbus on the same site, it's a glowing review really. Also, there is not much talk of crime here on the forum, which I thought was unusual considering the high crime rate listed. Columbus sounds like a nice place to live to me, I'm just concerned a bit about the crime rate.

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2015 at 03:11 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,476 times
Columbus is certainly not a dangerous city. Sure, there are always sketchy areas of town, but every city has those.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM

383 posts, read 512,140 times
Cbus is safe. Certain neighborhoods will have more crime than others bit the downtown is mostly safe. I have walked around at night several times and have never had an issue.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:31 PM

110 posts, read 147,694 times
It's a very safe city....

Old 10-12-2015, 05:44 PM

417 posts, read 594,103 times
Its safe. People mostly act like they are in a coma unless the bucs are playing. Be prepared to encounter alot of people who respond "I don't know" or state the obvious!! For example, Do you know of any good movers?" Response "I don't know. Check the internet" Duh like that has not been done. Another example, "i am looking for a certain brand of food, could you tell me where I can find it. Response, "you might want to check a grocery store." The problem is that I was in a grocery store!! This is just the tip of the ice berg.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:39 PM

Columbus is very safe. It is probably the best move you could make

Old 10-14-2015, 10:20 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cybergreyz View Post
Because the crime rate is high. Although it's mostly just in certain pockets. The average person won't experience much outside of:

a. Seeing drunken fights on high street.
b. Possibly getting your car window smashed & the contents within stolen.

Although Columbus does have a checkerboard pattern of good areas being right beside undesirable areas as well.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Because the crime rate is high. Although it's mostly just in certain pockets. The average person won't experience much outside of:

a. Seeing drunken fights on high street.
b. Possibly getting your car window smashed & the contents within stolen.

Although Columbus does have a checkerboard pattern of good areas being right beside undesirable areas as well.
Op,

This person is in Asheville and seems to have a chip on their shoulder in regards to Columbus. Not sure why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus