Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 07:16 PM

469 posts, read 432,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
That ugly font with "INTEL" stamped over a vacant lot is maybe the most cringe RE photography I've even seen. I can't believe they posted that. I'm sure it's a done deal though, because we all know that when Columbus talks about having something in the future, it will happen!
So commanding a hefty premium over market because it’s adjacent to a patch of land that will be a non-stop construction zone for many years to come?

Seller speculates Intel will want to bid on the property at some future date?

I don’t understand the logic here. Maybe I’m missing something obvious. Intel employees generally do not empty their wallets for an opportunity to reside in their employer’s parking lot or Fab.

Maybe it’ll sell at that price and I’ll learn something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 08:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Been looking at buying a new place in Columbus but man everything is either 1) ugly and drab, 2) in a terrible neighborhood, 3) extremely expensive and don't really get anything for it.

I don't see what anyone sees in the area or housing stock. The VAST majority is just totally uninspiring. Outside of the center of the city, the neighbohoods in the city have zero personality. There aren't main streets, just long strip malls and massive parking lots on 6 lane streets. There are no neighborhoods for just normal middle class people. You really have to embrace a suburban existence to live here. Even the "under the radar" spots people will recommend are still not actually great. For example, Salem Village or Clinton Estates or Westgate. Sure, they have maintained lawns and lower crime rates, relatively cheaper prices, but the stock is still homogenous and mostly ugly. Where are the neighborhood centers?

I mean, this is the commercial center of Salem Village: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0746...8192?entry=ttu

The commercial center of Clinton Estates: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0612...8192?entry=ttu

the commercial center of Westgate: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9431...8192?entry=ttu

These types of places basically function as suburban communities to.... other suburban communities. There is no E 185th, E 200th, E 222nd or even like a Mayfield in South Euclid or Taylor or Lee in Cle Heights.

Want a basic 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 1500 sq ft place with a basement and garage in a relatively walkable urban area? Better have a budget of at the very least 400k.

Old 10-02-2023, 05:00 PM

204 posts, read 71,733 times
Why even buy a house in a city you so thoroughly dislike? You seem like you've already talked yourself out of everywhere, so no one is going to offer any suggestions.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech14 View Post
Why even buy a house in a city you so thoroughly dislike? You seem like you've already talked yourself out of everywhere, so no one is going to offer any suggestions.
Am I wrong though? Help me understand the greatness here that justifies the prices. It's nuts.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Am I wrong though? Help me understand the greatness here that justifies the prices. It's nuts.
Everything you're talking about is subjective, and mostly just straw men created for you to tear down. There's nothing really for me to refute. I'm just saying that if you really dislike Columbus as much as you have been saying, I don't really understand why you'd want to invest in another house there. Just stay where you are until you can leave to wherever you think is better.

Old 10-03-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Everything you're talking about is subjective, and mostly just straw men created for you to tear down. There's nothing really for me to refute. I'm just saying that if you really dislike Columbus as much as you have been saying, I don't really understand why you'd want to invest in another house there. Just stay where you are until you can leave to wherever you think is better.
I'm asking your opinion though. Please let me know a great underrated neighborhood in Columbus that you don't need 400k to buy in and has its own "ecosystem" and personality.

East Linden? Driving Park? Far South? North Hilltop? I don't know these areas well. Open to directions here.

Family issues are requiring me to be in Columbus part time, I want to make the best of it. There is just so little to work with.

Old 10-03-2023, 07:04 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
I'm asking your opinion though. Please let me know a great underrated neighborhood in Columbus that you don't need 400k to buy in and has its own "ecosystem" and personality.

East Linden? Driving Park? Far South? North Hilltop? I don't know these areas well. Open to directions here.

Family issues are requiring me to be in Columbus part time, I want to make the best of it. There is just so little to work with.
Do you feel this is unique to Columbus? more so or not? Then moving on to the price issue...did you feel the same before housing prices became so inflated? Im curious if its more the price vs value where there simply isnt enough value to justify the price...anywho. Thx.

Old 10-03-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Ohio cities are about as affordable as you can find anywhere in the country. Columbus, I believe, has the highest housing prices of the 3-Cs, but it's relative to that reality. It also makes sense given both the conditions of population growth and a continuing deep housing shortage in the market. So I don't think it's fair to say that it's overpriced. That's what the market has determined to be the value of homes based on the existing conditions, whether you personally agree or not.

I just don't know what suggestions I can give that you ultimately won't find problems with. You don't believe that Columbus has any redeeming neighborhoods or qualities, so any suggestion will be disappointing to that narrative. But for sake of argument that you won't do that, for my money I like Old North Columbus in terms of a walkable area with its own sort of underrated identity. Not sure of the housing prices there.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Ohio cities are about as affordable as you can find anywhere in the country. Columbus, I believe, has the highest housing prices of the 3-Cs, but it's relative to that reality. It also makes sense given both the conditions of population growth and a continuing deep housing shortage in the market. So I don't think it's fair to say that it's overpriced. That's what the market has determined to be the value of homes based on the existing conditions, whether you personally agree or not.

I just don't know what suggestions I can give that you ultimately won't find problems with. You don't believe that Columbus has any redeeming neighborhoods or qualities, so any suggestion will be disappointing to that narrative. But for sake of argument that you won't do that, for my money I like Old North Columbus in terms of a walkable area with its own sort of underrated identity. Not sure of the housing prices there.
I used to live on Indiana Avenue in Old North, right by that Orhtodox Church and around from the Summit Music Hall and Cafe Bourbon Street. Pretty eclectic and hipstery at least at the time. Unfortunately I don't know that it's the best place to buy since it's kinda pricey and a lot of the ohmes aren't in great shape, since so much is just rentals to OSU students and what not.

The Columbus market has changed a lot in just the last 3 years. If you could afford a home in 2020 but didn't pull the trigger, you probably can't now. Affordability isn't just a net home price number vs the same in another city, it's a ratio of income to that price of course. If an average housesomewhere is 150k but the average income in the area is only 30k, that's not "affordable." Of course you know this but I'm just pointing out that when you talk about real estate cost in Cbus doubling in the last few years, it's silly to think incomes also doubled.

I am looking at South Hilltop near Hauntz Park and North Hilltop near Westmoor. Really nice homes over there, basically looks like Clintonville homes but for half the cost. Doesn't seem like as much going on but I don't really know.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:12 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Been looking at buying a new place in Columbus but man everything is either 1) ugly and drab, 2) in a terrible neighborhood, 3) extremely expensive and don't really get anything for it.

I don't see what anyone sees in the area or housing stock. The VAST majority is just totally uninspiring. Outside of the center of the city, the neighbohoods in the city have zero personality. There aren't main streets, just long strip malls and massive parking lots on 6 lane streets. There are no neighborhoods for just normal middle class people. You really have to embrace a suburban existence to live here. Even the "under the radar" spots people will recommend are still not actually great. For example, Salem Village or Clinton Estates or Westgate. Sure, they have maintained lawns and lower crime rates, relatively cheaper prices, but the stock is still homogenous and mostly ugly. Where are the neighborhood centers?

I mean, this is the commercial center of Salem Village: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0746...8192?entry=ttu

The commercial center of Clinton Estates: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0612...8192?entry=ttu

the commercial center of Westgate: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9431...8192?entry=ttu

These types of places basically function as suburban communities to.... other suburban communities. There is no E 185th, E 200th, E 222nd or even like a Mayfield in South Euclid or Taylor or Lee in Cle Heights.

Want a basic 3 bed, 1.5 bath, 1500 sq ft place with a basement and garage in a relatively walkable urban area? Better have a budget of at the very least 400k.
My granddaughter just bought her first house (3/3) in Columbus for $244k. It was totally remodeled. I’m not sure what area it is considered, maybe Merion Village, to be but its on E Gates St. It’s an evolving area near Nationwide Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus