Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 AM

4 posts, read 7,644 times

Advertisements

Hello All; thanks in advance for any & all insight - our family appreciates it!

We are relocating to Columbus area (will be working near Hilliard) and as such are looking for a suitable home and school for our young daughter (elementary school age). We are a middle class family and am looking for a private school. Our daughter currently attends a private Christian school that is almost exclusively African American. We are hoping to find something similar in the Columbus area. It is important to us that the Christian principles as well as African American history taught at home is reinforced at school. This is a big move for our family and as such we want the transition for our daughter to be as smooth as possible. Given the demographic differences between Houston and Columbus, we know that it won't be exactly the same, but want to at least try to come as close to what we have here in Houston. Also, any suggestions on areas of town or suburbs that would fit our family (again looking for diverse middle class communities) would also be great. Thanks & GOD Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 AM

13 posts, read 14,724 times
Gloria S Friend Christian Academy on 428 E Main ST Columbus is a Christian School that is predominately African American. The majority of teachers are African American as well as the students. Worthington Adventist Academy 870 Griswold Street Worthington is a private Christian school with majority African American students. However, the teachers and the community around the school are mostly white. Mansion Day School on 72 Woodland Ave Columbus has pretty much all African American students and teachers and is located in a majority African American community. However, I don't believe it is affiliated with a religion. Many professional African American families live on the far east side of Columbus in the neighborhood off of McNaughton Road between East Broad Street and East Main Street. Unfortunately it is not near Hilliard which is predominately white and on the west side. Hope this helps. Welcome to Columbus!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 AM

Very helpful indeed Ellad! Thank you so much!

Old 05-08-2017, 11:37 AM

490 posts, read 866,524 times
Gahanna has many middle class to upper middle class African American families, and the same is true for Pickerington. Both are nice suburbs. As far as private Christian schools, I'm not as familiar.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Much obliged Cbus76!

Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,692,694 times
Hilliard could be a nice option as well; I know one young AA family who live there and enjoy it (despite being a minority). Commuting through the north suburbs can be difficult during prime hours, so I'd recommend staying more toward the north or west sides of the city/suburbs. North Linden (NOT South) is a nicer majority-AA neighborhood within the city, as is Clintonville which it borders (less AA, but nicer/more amenities).
Finding a place which is commutable to a good school sounds to be the priority, I just wouldn't live too far east if you're going to be working in Hilliard.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Natural510 - I really appreciate the prompt to give serious consideration to the commute. I am not a fan of long commutes anymore and was hoping to cut down on that after the move! Thanks for your feedback!

Yep - the right school is our priority.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:14 AM

10 posts, read 16,995 times
Ditto on the commute consideration. If you are moving in the same "side" of Columbus during your commute, it's not so bad, but if you are going across town, via downtown or via I-670 at morning or evening rush hour, you can run into snags. I would also recommend asking the schools to provide academic stats for their students. I don't know if you can research private schools online with any degree of accuracy. We homeschool our kids, and we do online school for the older ones, and the quality varies greatly. We did our homework first, and are happy w/ our decisions.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:27 PM

78 posts, read 58,008 times
AA FAM here. Hilliard is not best area for balanced diversity. i would suggest Clintonville or Worthington for middle of road. i suggest Tree of Life for that area. Columbus school for girls and Wellington are excellent too. For diverse or African culture,you will find yourself East and find little support for hair, cultural and social experiences over that way. I have friends that did same and sold and moved to Gahanns area. I'm in N Westerville but that's a long commute daily for you. Atleast in Clintonvill or Worthington, you can get East or West fairly easily.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,157,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_texan View Post
Hello All; thanks in advance for any & all insight - our family appreciates it!

We are relocating to Columbus area (will be working near Hilliard) and as such are looking for a suitable home and school for our young daughter (elementary school age). We are a middle class family and am looking for a private school. Our daughter currently attends a private Christian school that is almost exclusively African American. We are hoping to find something similar in the Columbus area. It is important to us that the Christian principles as well as African American history taught at home is reinforced at school. This is a big move for our family and as such we want the transition for our daughter to be as smooth as possible. Given the demographic differences between Houston and Columbus, we know that it won't be exactly the same, but want to at least try to come as close to what we have here in Houston. Also, any suggestions on areas of town or suburbs that would fit our family (again looking for diverse middle class communities) would also be great. Thanks & GOD Bless!
If you are looking for a more "upscale" school, I'd be skeptical of anything on East Main Street. The black gentry tends to live in or around Berwick, along Sunbury Road, the Westerville area and mostly on the east side of town. For some reason, not many blacks on the west side which is where Hilliard is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellad View Post
Many professional African American families live on the far east side of Columbus in the neighborhood off of McNaughton Road between East Broad Street and East Main Street. Unfortunately it is not near Hilliard which is predominately white and on the west side. Hope this helps. Welcome to Columbus!
Yup, but I'm not aware of any black schools around there other than city schools. Bottom line is that if you're black and want to live among your own peeps (nothing wrong with that), stay east of I-71.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus