Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2021, 10:51 AM
on3 on3 started this thread

498 posts, read 386,392 times

Advertisements

I was traveling south on 71 yesterday around 6pm and just after the grove city exit, traffic started getting backed up. Only took about 10 minutes to get through on the south bound side. Reason was everyone was looking at a scene unfolding on the north bound side. As I pass the scene, I see 2 cars with flashing lights but didn’t see if they were local PD or highway patrol. There were about 13 people being detained by the law enforcement and they were all wearing Hijabs. No signs of any accident, just 13 people standing outside around the van they were in. As I continued along south bound, traffic was backed up for 5+ miles at a stand still. Those people were probably tied up for hours. Luckily I wasn’t traveling north bound. Why not have them get off the next exit instead of wasting all these tax payers time and inconveniencing them? Perhaps a policy prevents them in doing so? If so, that policy should be changed. The van was parked on the shoulder. I’m sure there will be nothing in the media reporting on what happened.

Grove city or ohio state highway patrol….whatever that was….do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 02:37 PM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
I was traveling south on 71 yesterday around 6pm and just after the grove city exit, traffic started getting backed up. Only took about 10 minutes to get through on the south bound side. Reason was everyone was looking at a scene unfolding on the north bound side. As I pass the scene, I see 2 cars with flashing lights but didn’t see if they were local PD or highway patrol. There were about 13 people being detained by the law enforcement and they were all wearing Hijabs. No signs of any accident, just 13 people standing outside around the van they were in. As I continued along south bound, traffic was backed up for 5+ miles at a stand still. Those people were probably tied up for hours. Luckily I wasn’t traveling north bound. Why not have them get off the next exit instead of wasting all these tax payers time and inconveniencing them? Perhaps a policy prevents them in doing so? If so, that policy should be changed. The van was parked on the shoulder. I’m sure there will be nothing in the media reporting on what happened.

Grove city or ohio state highway patrol….whatever that was….do better.
You have no idea why the police were there, could have been to help them, could have been for anything. You can't move people you stop without putting taking them into custody. It would be illegal to move them. Read the Constitution.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
You have no idea why the police were there, could have been to help them, could have been for anything. You can't move people you stop without putting taking them into custody. It would be illegal to move them. Read the Constitution.
Could have been anything but if they aren’t being detained and vehicle is operable and they are there holding up all the traffic that’s even worse lol

But assuming they were pulled over, having them pull over off the next exit is no different than being told to pull over off on a side street instead of on a main road. Some people are smart enough to not tie up traffic by having you pull off to a side street, others are not. If common sense is used after pulling them
over, you ask them to go to the next exit. They don’t have to comply, but there are other options than taking them into custody.

Last edited by on3; 08-14-2021 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-14-2021, 04:42 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
And people can also drive by the incident without slowing down to gawk.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:10 PM

Agreed, but the slow down is naturally going to happen for safety concerns when the patrol cars lights are all flashing. Can you imagine the guy looking at the waze comments knowing he’s got at least an hour delay and seeing “a group of people with their vehicle pulled off to the side are talking to police”

Some were standing, some where laying down.

lol

If it’s not an accident, road construction, or a broke down vehicle, do what you have to do such that you don’t back up traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: