Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 07:13 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times

Advertisements

How much would it cost to finish Columbus sidewalks? You could buy an MLB team for less

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...mbus-nletter65

This is the thing that bothers me most about Columbus tbh. I can never take people seriously who talk about Columbus as if it's some amazing urban oasis city in Ohio. Anything but - how can you go around town and not notice the glaring lack of even the most basic urban amenity, namely the sidewalk??? I really think people who say this don't venture outside of the small central area.

How bad is it? Bad. 60% of the city has no sidewalk. People complain about the bad transportation here (also true) but honestly we need to start small and make walking possible, it's not that big an ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 07:50 AM

4,671 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How much would it cost to finish Columbus sidewalks? You could buy an MLB team for less

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/...mbus-nletter65

This is the thing that bothers me most about Columbus tbh. I can never take people seriously who talk about Columbus as if it's some amazing urban oasis city in Ohio. Anything but - how can you go around town and not notice the glaring lack of even the most basic urban amenity, namely the sidewalk??? I really think people who say this don't venture outside of the small central area.

How bad is it? Bad. 60% of the city has no sidewalk. People complain about the bad transportation here (also true) but honestly we need to start small and make walking possible, it's not that big an ask.
Your first two sentences and your linked article say it's a huge ask.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Your first two sentences and your linked article say it's a huge ask.
Somehow Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Toledo, Cincinnati etc don't have this problem.

Look I know it's your whole shtick to do this, but please cut it out. There is no excuse for a state capital to not have sidewalks. Enough.

Old 04-25-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Somehow Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Toledo, Cincinnati etc don't have this problem.

Look I know it's your whole shtick to do this, but please cut it out. There is no excuse for a state capital to not have sidewalks. Enough.
It isn't schtick. You contradicted yourself. I'd hope someone else would point it out, if I didn't.

What's your plan to pay for the cost of retrofitting the manifold sections of Columbus that were developed without sidewalks? That might be interesting content. Otherwise you're just whining. And contradicting yourself. But mostly whining.

Move to Youngstown if you like it so much. They could use the population boost. Pizza's great there, too.

Old 04-25-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
It isn't schtick. You contradicted yourself. I'd hope someone else would point it out, if I didn't.

What's your plan to pay for the cost of retrofitting the manifold sections of Columbus that were developed without sidewalks? That might be interesting content. Otherwise you're just whining. And contradicting yourself. But mostly whining.

Move to Youngstown if you like it so much. They could use the population boost. Pizza's great there, too.
Columbus needs to get sidewalk coverage figured out. The costs are worth it, obviously. It's pathetic.

How does this contradict anything? You just take one guy's opinion in an article as gospel? He can say whateve rhe wants. The fact is, you aren't a serious city when you don't have sidewalks in 60% of the area!!! Come on man, you are surely better tha nthis. This isn't "hating" on Columbus as you are so paranoid about. This effects the people who actually live here (not you).

Why do you refuse to see anything wrong with columbus?

Old 04-25-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Columbus needs to get sidewalk coverage figured out. The costs are worth it, obviously. It's pathetic.

How does this contradict anything? You just take one guy's opinion in an article as gospel? He can say whateve rhe wants. The fact is, you aren't a serious city when you don't have sidewalks in 60% of the area!!! Come on man, you are surely better tha nthis. This isn't "hating" on Columbus as you are so paranoid about. This effects the people who actually live here (not you).

Why do you refuse to see anything wrong with columbus?
I thought the "you could buy an MLB team for less" and "it's not that big an ask" were both your words, which is why I said you were contradicting yourself. It wasn't clear. Now I see that the former statement is part of the headline from the article you linked.

That said, no it's not obvious that the costs are worth it. Instead of just caterwauling about how obvious it is, why not put forth a real argument so that it become obvious to the rest of us?

Old 04-25-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I thought the "you could buy an MLB team for less" and "it's not that big an ask" were both your words, which is why I said you were contradicting yourself. It wasn't clear. Now I see that the former statement is part of the headline from the article you linked.

That said, no it's not obvious that the costs are worth it. Instead of just caterwauling about how obvious it is, why not put forth a real argument so that it become obvious to the rest of us?
Yeah so that was the title of the article my man, not my words. You didn't even click the link.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:50 PM

4,490 posts, read 6,243,886 times
Quote:
60% of the city has no sidewalk..
WTF? You mean the great growing megapolis soon to eclipse Chicago and one day Tokyo in population fir got sidewalks?

Old 04-25-2024, 03:01 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,149,302 times
People want cul de sacs. They don't want transients and people who don't belong there walking and driving through their neighborhoods.

Sidewalks are overrated, though a little more connectivity for bike trails would be fine.

End of discussion.

Old 04-25-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
People want cul de sacs. They don't want transients and people who don't belong there walking and driving through their neighborhoods.

Sidewalks are overrated, though a little more connectivity for bike trails would be fine.

End of discussion.
My little pocket of columbus between 71 and maize is full of that, only about half sidewalk coverage. I really don’t like it and we worry about our kid out on his bike or even walking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus