Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM

138 posts, read 809,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
painting on 18 ave? was it on Cleveland? I havent been to Columbus in a little while but Ive been down that way a lot, main friend in that area lives near 26 ave. I remember a painting somewhere around that area but nothing specifically.

To get to 70% poverty you would have to break it down pretty far, probably to block groups and census tracts (once in a while). The only entire neighborhoods you will find with 70% poverty are ones almost entirely made up of public housing. When an area gets above 25% or so its usually considered a poor neighborhood as it would have over twice the US average poverty rate so you can imagine how bad 70% would be. Cleveland has neighborhoods over 60%, of course areas on the southside of Chicago and the Bronx (now, but especially in the past), some areas in Detroit also. But there are very few urban areas in the US like that. Columbus can get rough, but the worst is maybe 50% for a neighborhood.
Have you been to the bottems in columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 02:40 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,927,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
Have you been to the bottems in columbus?
Yeah, thats the neighborhood west of downtown right?

Ive been to pretty much every neighborhood in Columbus and most the suburbs. I lived down there for a few months and visited many times. I was living with a friend near Whittier but his main family is up by 26 ave off Cleveland in South Linden. The worst area I saw was the near-eastside specifically around Livingston/E main and that area. Other than the near-eastside, Linden and the bottoms can get pretty rough, part of the southside also. Outside of those areas, Columbus is pretty average/nice for the most part.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM

138 posts, read 809,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Yeah, thats the neighborhood west of downtown right?

Ive been to pretty much every neighborhood in Columbus and most the suburbs. I lived down there for a few months and visited many times. I was living with a friend near Whittier but his main family is up by 26 ave off Cleveland in South Linden. The worst area I saw was the near-eastside specifically around Livingston/E main and that area. Other than the near-eastside, Linden and the bottoms can get pretty rough, part of the southside also. Outside of those areas, Columbus is pretty average/nice for the most part.
To me its the most nasty place in ohio. My friend used to live on E.76 and st. clair in cleveland and they always tell me the only ture ghettos of Ohio is the bottems, most of cleveland and some parts of toledo. I never thought toledo was "ghetto" compared to any major city in ohio and like most of the people in this group keep saying that its "lil detroit" is a pretty high over-rated term if u really have been down 8 mile. Ive been down every single street in this city but the main reason I think Columbus is ghetto is because the real true downtown with the old style houses are all bad areas. Most of the areas the people name that are great areas of columbus are parts that most people would consider subs. anyways. Im not saying its the worst in ohio maybe about 3 or 4? So yea i pretty much agree with you....I never thought livingston was that bad

I live down the street from 26 ave

Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 AM

174 posts, read 698,273 times
Quote:
Cle440
The worst area I saw was

Man you see a lot of things huh, You must be rich from all the crime stopper rewards you get from Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinnati.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 19,486 times
Sarah1924

I am a black mother who lives in Canal Winchester and I love it. I lived here 10 years ago and then moved out. I recently moved back with my family last December and can tell you it is a much more diverse area than it used to be.

I do not think you will find a 100% black neighborhood, but you will find a neighborhood that is extemely diverse. My neighborhood has a nice mix of people, young an old, black, white and asian, single parent and family. I do not know if you are interested in renting a house, but there are a lot of nice homes for rent in the Canal Winchester area.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 89 View Post
Man you see a lot of things huh, You must be rich from all the crime stopper rewards you get from Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinnati.
Please, for all our sakes, dont start with me on this thread.

Crime stopper rewards?...you cannot be serious. If your actually from the ghetto like I am, you know the rules, snitches get stitches...but you were being sarcastic about that, right?...That was funny haha...

Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 AM

Nah your right. You just drive through places you don't see anything or google map them

sike let me stop playing with you

Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb69 View Post
To me its the most nasty place in ohio. My friend used to live on E.76 and st. clair in cleveland and they always tell me the only ture ghettos of Ohio is the bottems, most of cleveland and some parts of toledo. I never thought toledo was "ghetto" compared to any major city in ohio and like most of the people in this group keep saying that its "lil detroit" is a pretty high over-rated term if u really have been down 8 mile. Ive been down every single street in this city but the main reason I think Columbus is ghetto is because the real true downtown with the old style houses are all bad areas. Most of the areas the people name that are great areas of columbus are parts that most people would consider subs. anyways. Im not saying its the worst in ohio maybe about 3 or 4? So yea i pretty much agree with you....I never thought livingston was that bad

I live down the street from 26 ave
The bottoms is rough, but I dont believe its the worst in Ohio. Toledo can get rough also, but nothing as bad as other cities in Ohio. "Lil Detroit" is a huge exaggeration since Toledo had 12 murders last year, Detroits barely 3 times the size and consistently has 370-440 murders per year, so nowhere close. Ive only been to Detroit a few times, but 8 mile is just the beginning, if you really want to see something check out the streets off of Gratiot on the Eastside, Chene/VanDyke/Mack/and a lot of the side streets, and thats just what I saw. Not Livingston exactly but the streets N of the highway, specifically some side streets off of E Main. Thats the worst I saw in Columbus. Some of it looks like Detroit, bombed out blocks over there.

If Columbus didnt include all the suburban areas and was just the old urban city limits, it would be right behind Cleveland and Cincinnati for cities 100k+, possibly worse than Dayton. To me, the worst areas in Ohio are on the Eastside of Cleveland/East Cleveland. Its the biggest ghetto by far in Ohio and has the biggest population and area. Specifically, I would say areas off of St. Clair/Superior/Kinsman/Shaw/Hayden. Columbus, Cincinnati, Youngstown, and Dayton all have pretty rough areas also. At the end of the day, I think if anybody had a choice they would rather live in a safe neighborhood though.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 89 View Post
Nah your right. You just drive through places you don't see anything or google map them

sike let me stop playing with you
What are you talking about? Because I put up one thread informing everybody that there is street view for Cleveland you assume (for some unknown reason) that I base every single thing off of that? I havent even BEEN on that since I put up that thread...

Ive actually been to all these areas before, I dont know about you. I didnt just do it to do it either, I drove through these places either because I lived there, knew somebody that was living there, or was passing through. Theres only a few times when I did it just to do it, in Columbus once I remember.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 10-27-2008 at 12:25 AM..

Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 AM

see this is one of the things that bothers me, and this confirms my frustration with this type of stuff. you guys are talking about the bottoms or more widely as the "hilltop" in as one of the more "roughest" places in Columbus. The bottoms as well as the west side really get's no love or respect from the other sides of the city in Columbus. Of course there is a lot of crime out there but to most other neighborhoods in in the city just think of them as dirty. and it is dirty and that's how people come up with these assumptions on here. there's a lot more than just livingston, hilltop and linden.

Also how would Columbus be behind Cincinnati when they have less people but more homicides on a consistent basis? and Dayton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus