Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times

Advertisements

My folks live in Dublin..and I absolutely would move their in a heartbeat....in fact we are trying for DH to get a job out there.....I have also seen developments near polaris mall (is that the town of easton?)---I have heard wonderful things of gahanna and also upper arlington.

My parents just fell in love with dublin because if its proximity to EVERYTHING and bought in a development over there...but then again...the spent over 600k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 8,596 times
No way. We did that, Ohio to Tennessee thing too -- many years ago. You may have to copy and paste the URLs below to make them work.

Columbus is politically treacherous; keep your kids in private schools. And I'm not just saying that; I've been involved in non-profits for kids and dated a very well-respected School teacher for years and remain friends. That's part of why Mary Jo Kilroy and I were drinking buddies back before I left the Ohio AG's office and started suing the hands that used to feed me, as a Civil Rights Lawyer.

Read the story and watch the video here:

And various other fun Ohio and Boston-based Civil Rights videos are at:

links removed

Peace.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2006 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,448 times
Default Reynoldsburg

You most deffeniately should move to Reynoldsburg. Schools are perfect and this area is not racial at all . I lived in Reyoldsburg for 3 years but I moved out because I am from the South and Columbus is too cold. The houses are perfect sized and the right price.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
Check out Worthington, and Hilliard. I really think you will like Hilliard. Its a great community not far from the city of Columbus. What i really like about Columbus is it is a big city with a small town feel to it. Everyone is really nice. Trust me you will really like it there. Any more questions please ask. And good luck with your move.
C-bus is called "cowtown" for a reason, in some ways it resembes a VERY oversized rural small town! Which is one thing I like about it.

You'll have to get used to the weather. Summers will be similar enough to TN that you won't notice much difference, except when fall arrives a bit earlier! Columbus gets a couple good snowfalls every winter but it's not all that bad. About 8 degrees colder on average than Nashville in winter.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,451 times
Default God bless your heart.

I was born and raised in Knoxville (Concord) and moved up here in 98. I don't love it, but it will do until I can get out of here.

If you have not moved yet, consider living in Dublin or Hilliard as they have better schools than Columbus city does.

We did not know any better and are now on the far west side! I will be putting in a transfer request for my kids and will drive them to school every day in Hilliard.

Good luck. Let me know when you arrive. I might be of some service to you!

Your Tennessee friend,
Mechel Nye
614-746-9857
aminorvariation@hotmail.com

Old 12-04-2006, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,900 times
Default My opinion

I have lived in Columbus all my life. I have watched it go from a nice place to live and work to what resembles a 3rd world country.
But from what I read here it looks as though you aren't looking to move to Columbus, but are more in line with looking at Dublin, New Albany, Hilliard or any other number of suburbs outside the outerbelt which are basically insulated from the world we live in in Columbus.

For a firsthand view of the city of Columbus; The schools are a wreck. Children get raped at school and the teachers and principals don't even report it to the police. According to published reports a high percentage of the students can not pass the 9th grade proficiency tests.
Most of the city is basically slums now since all that could afford to have abandoned the city for the suburbs.

There is absolutley no jobs here. As you drive around you can see the shells of once working plants such as GM, Westinghouse, John Deere, International Harvester, etc. All the manufacturing is gone, and it is coming full circle and wiping out most businesses. Big box stores like Lazarus and Big Bear that were 'staples' in this part of the country have folded in lieu of walmart
On every corner is a Dollar General or some other 'thrift' store that replaced real stores. The malls in town are ghost towns compared to the mega-malls in the suburbs.

Columbus is inundated with 3rd world immigrants that I suspect are for the most part illegals and as everywhere else in America except a few places, no one is doing anything about it.

This an honest opinion of the city I live in. If it is not, it should be ranked as one of the worst places to live in America. This is from a person who use to have a good job and live in a nice neighborhood. Ohio's economy was for the most part based on Industry, and of course agriculture. The agriculture part hasn't changed much, but the industry that was the driving force of our economy is dead and gone and with it went everything but service jobs.

If you move to one of the suburbs or Lancaster, Granville, Heath, etc...Just stay insulated from Columbus and close your eyes and nose when you get near and you will be fine.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:56 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
I just love to sit here and read peoples' comments that make no sense at all, and add to that they base their opinions' as facts. First off Columbus on a national level has been voted one of the best places in the country to live in. I believe it was #7 out of the major cities. Second off you talk about the city as a third would country???? Please, it is bustling and booming. Columbus grew from 711,000 in 2000 to 730,000 in 2005. It is an attractive city to live in and people keep doing so, moving in. Columbus has a great economy, and many cities wish they could have the fortune 500 companies that Columbus has. Columbus's metro grew by some 15% in the last census. It is an attractive area of the country, and many people keep moving in, as well as businesses and corportations. Columbus has a diverse economy mainly around Government and Insurance. Its fine to state your opinion, but when you state it like a fact then you are wrong, completely wrong.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,900 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1708 View Post
I just love to sit here and read peoples' comments that make no sense at all, and add to that they base their opinions' as facts. First off Columbus on a national level has been voted one of the best places in the country to live in. I believe it was #7 out of the major cities. Second off you talk about the city as a third would country???? Please, it is bustling and booming. Columbus grew from 711,000 in 2000 to 730,000 in 2005. It is an attractive city to live in and people keep doing so, moving in. Columbus has a great economy, and many cities wish they could have the fortune 500 companies that Columbus has. Columbus's metro grew by some 15% in the last census. It is an attractive area of the country, and many people keep moving in, as well as businesses and corportations. Columbus has a diverse economy mainly around Government and Insurance. Its fine to state your opinion, but when you state it like a fact then you are wrong, completely wrong.
I do not want to argue with you but I had to reply.

First of all notice the title of my comment, it says "My Opinion"
Where in what I said is stated as fact? Its a fact that its the opinion of someone who has been here for 46 years.

What you write sounds like it was pasted straight off of the Chamber of Commerce website. You know an awful lot about a place that just a few short weeks ago was looking for information on.

And thats all I have to say.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
I know, no need for arguements in here. As moderator i try to keep that from happening, but what im trying to say is that its wrong for people to state their opinions' as FACTS. Go ahead and feel free to state your opinion, that is fine with me, but when it is more towards a factual way, then that makes no sense. This information has came from the U.S. Census Bureau, and Brookings Institute. Columbus is a very attractive city that is showing strong growth in its economy in many different levels. I have said this before, population growth speaks for itself. Columbus is an attractive area for people to move to.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Honestly, The above forumer sounds like someone who is "anticity" or metro area. Their opinion is just that an opinion. I would suggest taking time to decide where you want to settle in the Columbus area. There are very many stable communities in the city limits and in developed suburbs near the city center.

These areas (grandview heights, upper arlington, worthington, and bexley have good schools and are older developed nice suburbs with walkable areas.)

Now if you do not care about those qualities and just want a cheap house with good schools you will have many options as well.

Lancaster is very far out from the metro and in my opinion there is little reason to move that far away from Columbus. If you want to be further out and like a lot of privacy then I can see why, but there are many housing options around more things to do with lots of privacy.

Lancaster would be considered an ex-urb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus