Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 PM

240 posts, read 954,011 times

Advertisements

Here are the Performance Index Scores for some suburban high schools around Columbus.

Upper Arlington / 112.4
Dublin Jerome / 111.5
Bexley / 110.5
Olentangy Liberty / 110.1
Dublin Coffman / 109.5
Grandview Hts. / 108.2
Worthington Kilbourne / 108.1
Olentangy / 107.6
Westerville North / 107.4
Pickerington North / 107
Thomas Worthington / 106.7
Dublin Scioto / 105.2
New Albany / 105.2
Hilliard Davidson / 104.1
Hilliard Darby / 103.6
Gahanna / 103.3
Westerville Central / 103.3
Westerville South / 103.3
Pickerington Central / 99.1

I always feel it is important to also add that there is a concern from putting too much emphasis on this one measure. There are additional aspects to consider as a school is much more than a set of standardized test scores. Upper Arlington seems to consistently have the reputation for being the best district in Central Ohio. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 194,524 times
I know it's not what you asked about, but I think Pickerington is a very affordable area with great schools. Gahanna might be another good one to look at. If you like paying taxes, go to Dublin (cost of living index 89.5) or New Albany (cost of living index 94.2). Otherwise, check out Westerville (cost of living index 81.8) Gahanna (cost of living index 82.5) or Pickerington (cost of living index 81.0). Source: https://www.city-data.com/ and enter names of cities in the search box.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS7689 View Post
I know it's not what you asked about, but I think Pickerington is a very affordable area with great schools. Gahanna might be another good one to look at. If you like paying taxes, go to Dublin (cost of living index 89.5) or New Albany (cost of living index 94.2). Otherwise, check out Westerville (cost of living index 81.8) Gahanna (cost of living index 82.5) or Pickerington (cost of living index 81.0). Source: https://www.city-data.com/ and enter names of cities in the search box.
I don't believe that Dublin or New Albany have higher tax rates than other cities in the area. They tend to have more expensive homes, so that causes taxes to be a bit higher, but based upon home value the taxes aren't any higher than most areas.

Beware of Westerville taxes though, I believe you will find they have a school income tax that doesn't exist in many areas (including Dublin and New Albany).

Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM

69 posts, read 194,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't believe that Dublin or New Albany have higher tax rates than other cities in the area. They tend to have more expensive homes, so that causes taxes to be a bit higher, but based upon home value the taxes aren't any higher than most areas.

Agree that the % taxes might not be much different based on the home value. However, if your choices are to pay $200,000 for a home in a less expensive area, or $300,000+ for an equivalent home in a more expensive area, you're going to pay more taxes because your home is more expensive. Thus, if you like paying taxes, choose the more expensive area.

This is, of course, not to mention the extra interest you'll be paying each month on a mortgage for the more expensive home (assuming it won't be paid in full at closing). Just my opinion, but the schools are fairly comparable in these areas, and the cost of living difference can be significant, especially over time.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Beware of Westerville taxes though, I believe you will find they have a school income tax that doesn't exist in many areas (including Dublin and New Albany).
NewToCA, Pickerington LSD has an income tax for the school district. I'm pretty certain that Westerville CSD does not.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
NewToCA, Pickerington LSD has an income tax for the school district. I'm pretty certain that Westerville CSD does not.
You're right, my mistake. We had a lady transferring in a couple of years ago and I was helping her sort out the housing in metro Columbus, and Bexley and Westerville were her two top choices. Bexley was the one with the school income tax.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You're right, my mistake. We had a lady transferring in a couple of years ago and I was helping her sort out the housing in metro Columbus, and Bexley and Westerville were her two top choices. Bexley was the one with the school income tax.
You are correct. Bexley CSD has an income tax. The State of Ohio site at Welcome to the Ohio Department of Taxation contains a list of school districts which have income taxes. I can post the precise link, if necessary.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 53,518 times
Quote:
Not so sure that New Albany schools are better than Dublin schools. Both are very good, but I think Dublin's are arguably better. BTW, Dublin and Westerville are very comparable in size, but Westerville is going to have a broader range of housing options than Dublin and New Albany.

Dublin & New Albany are both elite suburbs. Westerville is what I would call a second-tier (does NOT mean second-class) suburb, meaning it has more socio-economic diversity than an elite suburb.
(In response to bgfalcon86) I would agree with most of your post except for the statement that Dublin's schools are better. There are actually only a few high ranking schools in Dublin (Jerome High, Grizzell Middle, and Pinney elementary) those are the schools that give Dublin's district a good rep, other than those schools, the schools are just average. (Source: SchoolsAmerica.com) But other than that great post!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 16,381 times
Quote:
Not so sure that New Albany schools are better than Dublin schools. Both are very good, but I think Dublin's are arguably better. BTW, Dublin and Westerville are very comparable in size, but Westerville is going to have a broader range of housing options than Dublin and New Albany.

Dublin & New Albany are both elite suburbs. Westerville is what I would call a second-tier (does NOT mean second-class) suburb, meaning it has more socio-economic diversity than an elite suburb.

So you mean suburbs with more non-white people can't be considered elite?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,703 times
No one mentioned taxes. New Albany and Dublin are very high and it makes no sense since it is almost self defeating; Young home buyers can't afford the high yearly taxes they have to shell out...Westerville keeps adding taxes too but there is a huge anti-tax movement there right now. The unincorporated areas surrounding each of these municipalities are better bargains. You get the school without the higher taxes in most instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus