Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Seems right to me.
Of course it does buddy, of course it does.

Look at the demographics of each city. You'll actually find that they're strikingly similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
nieghborhood corner bars/taverns are one thing that strikes me as missing in much of columbus compared to pittsburgh. (im not talking osu/entertainment districts). seems like alot of bars are located in little shopping strips.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 PM

33 posts, read 93,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo3osu View Post
Not true. I assume this is based on the ever-useless "city population", which is based on arbitrary geographical boundaries. Given that Columbus is concentrated on flat land and Pittsburgh is spread out over hilly terrain, Columbus appears to be more populated (and probably is more densely populated within 15 miles of city center). A more accurate representation is metropolitan area (Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), in which case Pittsburgh is ranked 22 and Columbus 32. Once you get 15 miles outside of Columbus it is cornfields as far as the eye can see (literally). Pittsburgh is pretty dense up to 30 miles outside the city.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and have lived in Columbus (went to OSU) for 12 years. I would agree with an earlier comment that Pittsburgh is more black and white, with most of the "ethnic" white consisting of eastern European descendants (Poland, Serbia, etc.). Columbus is somewhat black and white as well, but the neighborhoods are distinctly separated, where as Pittsburgh neighborhoods are more integrated. The nicer neighborhoods on the outskirts of Columbus are 99% white (estimating), where as Pittsburgh neighborhoods are a mix of black and white.

There are a lot more hispanic cultures in Columbus. The fact that Columbus has the largest university in the country (50,000 students) and a good economy means than many ethnicities come and stay there. Other than Pitt and CMU, which aren't nearly as big, Pittsburgh just doesn't draw as many diverse cultures. In addition, the culture of Pittsburgh itself tends to embrace outsiders more slowly, which convinces many to leave.

In general, Columbus is "newer", cleaner, and easier to navigate. The fact that it is flat makes it easier to take care of. Pittsburgh still has the same street layouts from the 1800s, and has city budget issues due to all the additional expenses associated with bridges, tunnels, and such. Higher-end housing is cheaper and easier to find in Columbus (compare $300k houses in Dublin, OH to $300k houses in Pittsburgh suburbs), and I would say that Columbus is just more peaceful. No traffic issues, easy to get around, everything I need within 5 miles of your house. Of course, this lends to the urban sprawl and cookie cutter houses mentioned earlier. Still, I considered moving back to Pittsburgh several times and decided that Columbus was a better choice for settling down long-term.

From an ethnicity standpoint here is one thing to consider: Much of the white population in Columbus are rural farmer types that came to OSU and ended up staying in Columbus. This subgroup is much less tolerant of diverse ethnic backgrounds, and behind closed doors have no problem stating their opinions on such issues. Count the number of camofluage hunting caps you see around Columbus malls vs. Pittsburgh malls and you'll know what I mean. The day after 9/11 all I heard from Ohioans was stuff like "nuke-em all". Just generally more conservative in Ohio. Most Pittsburghers are from the city or from another city. This contradicts my earlier statement about acceptance, but Pittsburghers base their acceptance on others based on whether they are from Pittsburgh, whereas people from Columbus actually do base their acceptance on ethnicity in some cases. As long as you can embrace Pittsburgh culture (and speak the language: PITTSBURGHESE .com) while you live there you'll be fine.
I always thought Pittsburgh as highly segregated and maybe of the worst cities for blacks in the nation. Where in Columbus it's the exact opposite. I think you have Pittsburgh confused with Columbus.... The fourth paragraph is the only one I would agree with.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,141 times
I'm currently contemplating a move from Denver, CO, to the Columbus, OH, area to take a consulting job. I'd be traveling a good bit throughout a church district comprising the western edge of Pennsylvania, all of West Virginia, and the northern and eastern two-thirds of Ohio. Because I will be setting up my office at home, I have a choice of where "home" might be. My two first considerations are Pittsburgh, PA, and Columbus, OH.

While I suppose I'll be spending a good amount of time on the road (like Jack Kerouac!), I'd like the place I call "home" to be ethnically, racially, economically, culturally, and religiously diverse.

Duuude! All I can say to you is : RUNNNN!!! IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, AT THAT!!! When it comes to the entire city/area of Pittsburgh, PA...let alone the Philly area....heck the entire state itself; it's by far theeeeeee least accepting culturally of blacksssss, plain and simple and tried and true!!! They are soooooooo racist there against black folks!! That I know of, there was 1 actual business in the pittsburgh city itself that I remember!
They do not, repeat do not like/accept/even want you there if you are black or brown. There is outrageous racist practices against blacks as a rule and not the exception.
THEY ARE NOT DIVERSE!!!! WHATEVER YOU MAY HAVE HEARD IS A SMOKESCREEN!!... RUN!!
I am a double profession who recently FLED, YES FLED from that place!!
You are best to do your homework with this one.......don't do it!!!
I did personal civil rights work not 1 entire year ago there, simply to get a local McDo.....'s and Walm.....t to hire blacks!!! And that took all of 5 years till they finally and now do hire them.
Please; unless you like being hated basically everywhere you go, don't move there!!!
I am breathing easy in a gorgeous suburb of Chicago with mostly black neighbors who are homeowners and have nice incomes. Tree lined streets, several black run and or owned business etc.
I wouldn't give a good poop in a bucket for that pittsburgh, PA place again.
You couldn't pay me.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,141 times
Default Pleeeease read all of this! I lived there almost 6 years!!

Duuude! All I can say to you is : RUNNNN!!! IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, AT THAT!!! When it comes to the entire city/area of Pittsburgh, PA...let alone the Philly area....heck the entire state itself; it's by far theeeeeee least accepting culturally of blacksssss, plain and simple and tried and true!!! They are soooooooo racist there against black folks!! That I know of, there was 1 actual business in the pittsburgh city itself that I remember!
They do not, repeat do not like/accept/even want you there if you are black or brown. There are OUTRAGEOUS racist practices against blacks as a rule and not the exception.
THEY ARE NOT DIVERSE NOR DIVERSE MINDED!!!! WHATEVER YOU MAY HAVE HEARD IS A SMOKESCREEN!!... RUN!!
I am a double profession who recently FLED, YES FLED from that place!!
You are best to do your homework with this one.......don't do it!!!
I did personal civil rights work not 1 entire year ago there, simply to get a local McDo.....'s and Walm.....t to hire blacks!!! And that took all of 5 years till they finally and now do hire them.
Please; unless you like being hated basically everywhere you go, don't move there!!!
I am breathing easy in a gorgeous suburb of Chicago with mostly black neighbors who are homeowners and have nice incomes. Tree lined streets, several black run and or owned business etc.
I wouldn't give a good poop in a bucket for that pittsburgh, PA place again.
You couldn't pay me.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 AM

33 posts, read 163,892 times
Some of these posts are way off base here. Columbus is by far one of the most integrated cities in the country. In every suburb,(with the exception of Upper Arlington), you will find many Black, Indian, Latino, Asian, etc. people living right alongside white people and never having any problems. Most people are very excepting of other people and cultures. You often see couples of different races all over the city at all times of the day and night. And Columbus is very gay friendly also.

The culture is very diverse. There are parts of the west side where you will think you are in Mexico, and parts of the north side where you will think you are in Somalia, then go to Bexley and you may think you are in Israel. Travel to some parts of the south side and you just might think you will see Roscoe chasing Bo and Luke Duke down the street. But in all of these areas, you will also see people of all other races living with no worries.

The point is, there are a lot of cultures proudly waving their flag in Columbus, and very little open bigotry or prejudice to be seen. The city is new and still growing so therefore it is not set in its ways yet.

In Pittsburgh, however, you can sometimes cut the racial tension with a knife. I have lived in both cities. Pittsburgh people as a whole are more standoffish, and openly rude. The city is old and the population is not growing, so people are set in their ways and have no problem letting you know that. I've been standing in the middle of the Pittsburgh Zoo and heard the N word used 3 times like it was just normal conversation. Yes the Downtown is more exciting in Pittsburgh, the topography is more diverse, and there are more pro sports, but that is about it.

Columbus hands down is a better city.
Columbus-Best city for African American's
Columbus, Ohio Tops List of Best Cities for African-American Families; BET.com/BET NIGHTLY NEWS Survey Culminates ''Under One Roof'' Series. | Goliath Business News

Columbus- Best underated gay-friendly city
Underrated Cities - Gay-Friendly Cities - Best Gay Cities - Most Underrated Gay-Friendly Cities - Top Gay Cities - Progressive U.S. Cities for 2010

Columbus- Forbes Magazine, one of the best places to get ahead.
Best Places To Get Ahead - Forbes.com

Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,539 times
Quote:
There are parts of the west side where you will think you are in Mexico, and parts of the north side where you will think you are in Somalia, then go to Bexley and you may think you are in Israel.
Only if you have never been to these places.

That a person thinks that just because there are Mexicans around, this must be like Mexico or because there are blacks you think you are in Somalia, is a good example of how culturally void Columbus is.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM

240 posts, read 534,556 times
I agree with the poster who said Columbus is bland. It's a great city to start a business in and start your roots. The money here is a lot newer.

Pittsburgh is a much older city and harder to break into things than Columbus. It also has the feel of a bigger, more vibrant and cosmopolitan city, IMO.

As a gay man, one thing that's greatly in Columbus' favor is its acceptance of gays and lesbians. On the other hand, it's still in Ohio, which is about the opposite. Columbus is kind of like an oasis in a large, dry Ohio desert.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM

10 posts, read 42,795 times
IMO Pittsburgh is a family town with lots to do, but just not for everyone. Often Pittsburger's can be segregated and/or unaware in thinking, and this is 1 of the reasons that it is not as progressive as it could be. I am a Pittsburgh native that relocated to Columbus, OH 1 year ago. I raised 3 daughters and mortgaged a home in PGH and I still have family and friends there, but quality cultural activities, a quality social life and dating pool for Black americans was non existing. Over the years I met friends of all ethnicities that earned their college degree like myself in PGH, then relocated to a more progressive and diverse city offering a better quality of life for everyone. I was not certain if I would move to C-Bus. I actually have 3 uncles that raised families there, but I had not been there since I was 10 yrs. old. Honestly, I must say after conducting thorough research online and engaging conversation relocating to C-Bus is 1 of the best decisions that I have made thus far. Columbus is culturally diverse, accepting and lots of people intermix. (I am not saying racism does not exist here and/or Columbus is perfect, but it works for me and my personal needs.) IMO C-Bus is the opposite of PGH. Not to mention a better quality of life in general. I have never been more at peace in my 45 yrs. of life. Yes Columbus is country in a rural and calming type of way, but it is (very) progressiveand a test market too. Far more advanced than PGH, even the little things such as music, clubs, festivals, restaurants, and clothing stores. You can find whatever you want here, sometimes you have to look for it, because there is lots to do. Driving is easier here too. Traffic can be tricky to judge during your morning commute, but my cell gps navigates just fine.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 AM

10 posts, read 42,795 times
Default Columbus, OH VS. Pittsburgh, PA

FYI: I have a spacious, updated 2 bedroom apartment in a nice area that runs $200 dollars less here in C-Bus than it would back in PGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus