Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the current appeal for tablet PCs, when you can already do everything a tablet can do and more with a laptop? Laptops already provide for a robust mobile computing platform, and tablets are in theory more feature-limited by definition, right?

I've don't really understand the logic behind why tablet computers are taking off at the numbers they are today. Granted, laptops are a little bulkier and heavier than tablets, but is there some special reason in particular why are people opting en masse for tablets over laptops these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM

455 posts, read 898,620 times
I don't use them, but the obvious reason, to me, is the portability factor. It's simply easier to carry around a tablet than it is to lug around a laptop, even though laptops are a lot smaller and lighter than they used to be. Tablets still win out in that regard.
And, assuming that people using tablets just need basic word processing, browsing, etc. then there's it might make more sense for them, especially if they travel often but don't need a full-on system capable of handing workloads more traditionally left to beefier systems.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 AM

219 posts, read 431,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
What exactly is the current appeal for tablet PCs, when you can already do everything a tablet can do and more with a laptop? Laptops already provide for a robust mobile computing platform, and tablets are in theory more feature-limited by definition, right?

I've don't really understand the logic behind why tablet computers are taking off at the numbers they are today. Granted, laptops are a little bulkier and heavier than tablets, but is there some special reason in particular why are people opting en masse for tablets over laptops these days?
Many of us thought the same thing until we started using a tablet. The portability factor is not comparable to a laptop. I can check my email, surf the web, watch movies, and read books, all while sitting on the toilet. A laptop is an anchor in comparison to my ipad. Most people I know who have an ipad, or other tablet PC, rarely pick up their laptop again. Yes, you can do much more on a laptop but most of us don't need to do those things. I have no need for productivity software at home. Most people only use there laptops, or even desktops, to check email, social media, or web surfing. I don't need an anchor for that.

Until you actually have one, and I assume you do not, you will not understand. I didn't either back then.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
My daughter replaced her laptop with tablet ( MS Surface Pro 2) mainly for it's size. It is much easier to take notes in college classes sitting at tiny student desk. Especially with an app where she can handwrite notes on the screen, and then convert to text.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,603 times
there portable and they boot faster and no moving parts wich usaly means longer battery life.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Most I have seen used them as readers. They are much smaller and lighter than laptops. I seldom see people carrying laptops much since they came out.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I never realized how liberating a 7 inch tablet can be until I tried one. Have a question about something? Tablet is sitting right there on the table, quick google it. So much nicer than lugging around a laptop, and also the android platform is considerably snappier than windows so the modest hardware goes much further. Laptops do have their place... got my father one for Christmas, but the portability factor of a tablet can't be beat.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Tablets are now being used by some airlines companies, restaurant menus, hotels, and so on. Much cheaper and easier than providing a laptop to each customer, I guess. Virgin Airlines and some other companies have iPads at each seat on some of their flights. The days of having printed menus at some restaurants are gone. The same can be said for having to call food service and stuff like that at some hotels.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post

Speed, price, battery life, weight, simplicity, instant on, stability, easy to buy and install application, easy to sell application, easier to read from, more durable.

Does anyone remember Palm Pilot and Windows CE?

Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I use my Android Xoom more than my laptop.
Email.
Browsing.

It is lighter and easier to handle.
I like it enough, I just bought the Nokia Windows tablet, and looking forward to setting it up.

Don't know when I will consider another laptop.
But, I use desktops for photo and video work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers