Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM

426 posts, read 370,776 times

Advertisements

Re asking this once again
I'm just trying to evaluate more the world of IT if help desk is a good career overall if you want easy work and modern money coming in?
Would you recommend a career in the IT Help desk or what guys do as Computer Repair work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Help Desk is a good place to start. You could make a life long career out of it, but most of the time it is a stepping stone on the way up to better jobs. You could go from there to Desktop Support. Then to Network Administration.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:15 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Help Desk is a good place to start. You could make a life long career out of it, but most of the time it is a stepping stone on the way up to better jobs. You could go from there to Desktop Support. Then to Network Administration.
Pretty much this.

Although if you want to move up, I think you'd have an easier time if you were hands-on, doing basic repair/field work, instead of help desk.

Find someone to take you under their wing and learn more. More about servers, security, networking.

Get some certs, go to school, and move up into something you're interested in.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:42 PM

8,303 posts, read 13,437,323 times
I x2 what Peregrine and harhar stated. If possible, find an IT position in a company where there are advancement opportunities within the IT dept.

To me that is key thing when I look for a job. Sadly it's been one of the biggest challenges. This may not be a big concern for someone who is just trying to get into the field and lacking experience but after the first few years, especially if you are smart and ambitious, you will likely to want to move up to bigger and better positions.

If there are no better/higher IT positions within the company that is hiring you as a helpdesk tech, then you will have to move on to another company to move up!
In this lovely job market, that can be an ordeal, even for an seasoned tech.

I'd say, think about what you would like to do + what you might be talented in and then go from there.

Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
x3 this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSparks View Post
Re asking this once again
I'm just trying to evaluate more the world of IT if help desk is a good career overall if you want easy work and modern money coming in?
Would you recommend a career in the IT Help desk or what guys do as Computer Repair work?
I wouldn't say it's always easy. Once you've done the job for 6 months, you will end up developing paranoia of ringing phones. You will learn to have no faith at all in your clients.

From personal experience this is what I think in regards to your question:
Probably 3 or 4 days a week (working 5 days/week) everything is smooth sailing. I just come in, check on updates and handle the various hiccups that occur throughout the day ("Hey, I need flash player for X", "My emails not working!", etc.)

But then, someone clicks on that random email that says "URGENT INVOICE NEEDS REVIEW!" that came from sketchyemail@shady.com. Now you have a client with CryptoLocker who has tax forms that absolutely need to be recovered and your getting called 5 times a minute.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Another thing to consider is that many of these IT jobs are not regular hours, so you'll need to be flexible. It just depends on what kind of company you are working for. They could have you answering phone calls at 3am when people in Europe have already started their day. Or you could be working all weekend during a major software or OS upgrade (I witnessed that at my company when they had to upgrade thousands of PCs from XP to Win7).

Old 02-09-2016, 02:09 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,080 times
Like others have said, try to move up and out. A career in help desk will make you HATE LIFE unless you're one of the twisted folks that actually enjoys it. Yes, it's not very mentally taxing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. And the pay isn't very good either (except compared to other entry level jobs). But that's exactly what it is: entry level.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Another thing to consider is that many of these IT jobs are not regular hours, so you'll need to be flexible. It just depends on what kind of company you are working for. They could have you answering phone calls at 3am when people in Europe have already started their day. Or you could be working all weekend during a major software or OS upgrade (I witnessed that at my company when they had to upgrade thousands of PCs from XP to Win7).
Im not really flexible with work hours. Im more a day shift only person for the most part.
Work is interesting thou.....

Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Pretty much this.

Although if you want to move up, I think you'd have an easier time if you were hands-on, doing basic repair/field work, instead of help desk.

Find someone to take you under their wing and learn more. More about servers, security, networking.

Get some certs, go to school, and move up into something you're interested in.
Thanks man

Old 02-10-2016, 11:04 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
It would be a starter job. You mentioned you want an easy job. If you approach any job as I will show up you probably will have a limited career.

Although I see the help desk as a starter job I do not think of it as an easy job. You have to be very good with your people skills. I think it could be very hard trying to help upset customers who know little about a computer to fix their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers