Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:09 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times

Advertisements

I have W7 and I use a wireless Logitech M510 mouse. It's perfect for me, the contour, the wheel, the back button on the side...

After many years of no issues, it started acting funny. I sometimes get a double-click instead of a single-click (I attempt to select a folder with one click, and instead of just a selection, the folder opens). A select-drag is also an issue. Either the item being dragged is released, or it opens while being dragged. Selecting text is also an issue. I select a line of text, and without releasing the mouse, the text is de-selected.

This is not app-specific - it happens in multiple apps and win explorer as well. But very infrequently

I have two brand new, unopened mice (as backups). I also have the USB recvr right near the mouse, unobstructed. Which, BTW, is hooked to a 25-ft USB ext. cable. This was never an issue until very recently; it started happening all of a sudden.

I:

Tried both new mice, making sure the batteries were brand new
Tried a new mouse pad
Tried a new USB ext. cable
Tried a diff USB port (the one I have been using does not share bandwidth with anything)
Tried toggling the mouse settings (c.panel)
Using Acronis, re-stored an o/s image that was made prior to me noticing this issue

Nothing has helped.

I also tried the mouse with ext-cable on my laptop - I didnt see the issue, but this happens so infrequently, I am not sure if it's ok, or it just didnt happen in the short time I was using the laptop.

I would like to try using the mouse without the USB ext. cable, plugged directly into a USB port, but that is logistically impossible, as my monitors and computer are in different rooms. But as I have two cables, one of them brand new, and as I never had this problem for many years, I dont think the cable and/or the cable length is at fault.

Logitech does not make a driver for this mouse. And again, as I never had this problem for many years, I dont think this would be a driver issue.

So, I go out to Staples, and buy a cheap wireless mouse. I have used it for three days, and have not seen the issue once. Now, if I only used one Logitech mouse, then it would be easy to say that mouse is at fault. But I used three. This almost doesn't make any sense. is it possible that my computer just all of a sudden doesn't like this brand of mouse?

Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 09:54 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I have W7 and I use a wireless Logitech M510 mouse. It's perfect for me, the contour, the wheel, the back button on the side...

After many years of no issues, it started acting funny. I sometimes get a double-click instead of a single-click (I attempt to select a folder with one click, and instead of just a selection, the folder opens). A select-drag is also an issue. Either the item being dragged is released, or it opens while being dragged. Selecting text is also an issue. I select a line of text, and without releasing the mouse, the text is de-selected.

This is not app-specific - it happens in multiple apps and win explorer as well. But very infrequently

I have two brand new, unopened mice (as backups). I also have the USB recvr right near the mouse, unobstructed. Which, BTW, is hooked to a 25-ft USB ext. cable. This was never an issue until very recently; it started happening all of a sudden.

I:

Tried both new mice, making sure the batteries were brand new
Tried a new mouse pad
Tried a new USB ext. cable
Tried a diff USB port (the one I have been using does not share bandwidth with anything)
Tried toggling the mouse settings (c.panel)
Using Acronis, re-stored an o/s image that was made prior to me noticing this issue

Nothing has helped.
Did you try each of the combinations making a single change at a time? Did you create a 'chart' or table to track each of those changes as you did them. After 35+ years of systems troubleshooting I could not list the times that when I have gone back over troubleshooting of an intermittent problem with many factors involved that the problem was eventually traced to a combination that the original testor was 'sure' they had tested. Yes some of those embarrassing times were my own until more experienced techs beat it into my younger self that you need to meticulously document the combinations. Later it was me pounding it into the younger troops.

Quote:
I also tried the mouse with ext-cable on my laptop - I didnt see the issue, but this happens so infrequently, I am not sure if it's ok, or it just didnt happen in the short time I was using the laptop.

I would like to try using the mouse without the USB ext. cable, plugged directly into a USB port, but that is logistically impossible, as my monitors and computer are in different rooms. But as I have two cables, one of them brand new, and as I never had this problem for many years, I dont think the cable and/or the cable length is at fault.

Sounds like you really need to get the two devices into the same room. With having them in different rooms you are adding distance, walls and electronic signals needing to penetrate them and any possible wiring in the walls changing the electric fields between the two locations. Also have you thought that momentary system loads may be affecting the timing of when the inputs get acted upon. This normally isn't a problem in modern systems but having worked on true 'realtime' systems (where you can prioritize certain critical commands to actually be more important than basic Operating system tasks) and working on older systems that were always on the edge coming to an apparent halt just cause they were overloaded I wouldn't rule anything out, especially with the distance the two components are separated.

Quote:
Logitech does not make a driver for this mouse. And again, as I never had this problem for many years, I dont think this would be a driver issue.

So, I go out to Staples, and buy a cheap wireless mouse. I have used it for three days, and have not seen the issue once. Now, if I only used one Logitech mouse, then it would be easy to say that mouse is at fault. But I used three. This almost doesn't make any sense. is it possible that my computer just all of a sudden doesn't like this brand of mouse?

Anyone have any ideas?

Could both of the new problem mice be from the same production run and have the same underlying component issue?

Last edited by elnina; 08-16-2022 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-10-2022, 07:38 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
When youtry the other mice do you disconnect all other mice? Only have one at a time connected?

Old 08-10-2022, 08:11 AM

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
When youtry the other mice do you disconnect all other mice? Only have one at a time connected?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Did you try each of the combinations making a single change at a time?

Of course, yes.

Sounds like you really need to get the two devices into the same room.

Understand the sugg, but physically impossible.

Could both of the new problem mice be from the same production run and have the same underlying component issue?

Not impossible, but that doesn't explain why the mouse I have been using has been a-ok for about 7 yrs., and why this problem started all of a sudden.

Old 08-10-2022, 01:35 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
USB port failing.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
USB port failing.
Thx.

Is that a thing? I thought if they fail, they just stop working. Do USB ports die a slow death?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:43 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Thx.

Is that a thing? I thought if they fail, they just stop working. Do USB ports die a slow death?
They can. BTDT

If your mouse (mice) work OK elsewhere, it narrows things down. You could remove and reload the standard mouse driver, but I doubt it would make a difference. There is an extremely slim possibility of malware or a keylogger type of infection, but with a long USB cable and reduced signal, the port itself is suspect. The other slim possibility is RFI from something interfering with signal. Again, unlikely. You may have two ports that are independent. If so, try the other. With a desktop, you can install another card.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 08-10-2022 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 11:35 AM

Lil update

I have purchased two other mice - a MS mouse, and a Roccat gaming mouse. Both wireless, and both have worked fine for two days (each) straight. I plugged the Logi mouse back in - the brand new one, that is, and still see the issue.

Is it possible that for some reason, all of a sudden, the Logi mouse is using more bandwidth, or requiring more power (or something) from the USB port?

Old 08-17-2022, 03:39 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
After many years of no issues, it started acting funny. I sometimes get a double-click instead of a single-click (I attempt to select a folder with one click, and instead of just a selection, the folder opens).
The part in bold is all you really need to know. Its time for a new mouse. I had a really good Razer mouse for years as well that started doing the exact same thing as yours. Was hesitant to upgrade because I spent a good amount of $$$ for that when purchased new. Ended up tossing it as newer mouses really are better as technology continues to advance.

Just get a new mouse since that one is "years old". You can get some very very good ones now for little to nothing.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
The part in bold is all you really need to know. Its time for a new mouse. I had a really good Razer mouse for years as well that started doing the exact same thing as yours. Was hesitant to upgrade because I spent a good amount of $$$ for that when purchased new. Ended up tossing it as newer mouses really are better as technology continues to advance.

Just get a new mouse since that one is "years old". You can get some very very good ones now for little to nothing.
Please read the thread, ty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers