Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 07:24 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times

Advertisements

I took my Mac Book in for service. The appointment lasted about an hour and they told me it was clean and the only thing wrong with it was that the battery needed to be replaced. They suggested a new MacBook vs replacement due to its age.

Since I left there I am now getting pop ups in the upper right hand corner of my screen that say things like

"someone is downloading files"

"McAffey (which we don't have) has detected a virus"

" 10 Viruses detected"

These are small pop ups accompanied by the settings icon. They pop up and close so quickly I barely have time to read them. I have clicked around trying to find them or any type of message related to them and can't.

Before I haul myself back into Apple after waiting for an appointment, does anyone know what this is? Should I be overly concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 10:47 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Take a look at this page.

You can download and scan your system with Avast (if you need one, it's a good free AV app) but the actual info I wanted you to read is "How to stop Mac programs and apps from opening on startup" section!

Check to see if there is anything unknown/unwanted and disable them.

Also check the "Applications" panel to see if there is anything unknown/new (sort by date if needed).

That should get you going until someone comes up with better assistance.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2024, 12:20 PM

33 posts, read 31,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I took my Mac Book in for service. The appointment lasted about an hour and they told me it was clean and the only thing wrong with it was that the battery needed to be replaced. They suggested a new MacBook vs replacement due to its age.

Since I left there I am now getting pop ups in the upper right hand corner of my screen that say things like

"someone is downloading files"

"McAffey (which we don't have) has detected a virus"

" 10 Viruses detected"

These are small pop ups accompanied by the settings icon. They pop up and close so quickly I barely have time to read them. These pop-ups could be an attempt by malware to infiltrate your system or gain your consent to do something. It's worth downloading a paid antivirus. Also clean your MacBook completely. You can read how to use system preferences on mac, use https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-use...erences-on-mac for this. Just first delete what you downloaded recently, and then scan the system. This should help. They say that a MacBook cannot be infected with a virus, yeah, already. I have clicked around trying to find them or any type of message related to them and can't.

Before I haul myself back into Apple after waiting for an appointment, does anyone know what this is? Should I be overly concerned?
This is exactly why I don’t trust such services. Every time I bring something there, they tell me the laptop is screwed, I pick it up and after the service it’s barely alive at all. I don't know what they are doing with him. They say that some take expensive parts from it.

Last edited by jawkinshere; 04-16-2024 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers