Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 11:28 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times

Advertisements

I've disabled One Drive sync (via profile) probably 50 times in the last year or two. I'm not sure of everything that turns the syncing on whether you want it or not, but today I copied one photo from the phone and that did it. I do not under any circumstances want it turned on, EVER. I'm sure it's a jim-dandy solution for lots of folks... but I don't want it. So today I deleted it via control panel. I almost expect doing this will break something else, but I don't know. Any experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 12:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Control Panel is the way. It breaks nothing except sync and backup to Onedrive.

It may have left traces behind, the local folder it uses for sync. You can look through file explorer. If you use an MS account to login, there have been cases where it will get reinstalled after an update. Don't quote me on this but just be aware. I don't have that issue since I don't login this way.

You could also delete it from phone. I use google photos, not Onedrive and I like my photos synced.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:06 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
You have to first stop the app from starting up from: SETTINGS > APP > App Startup
Then uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features (old Add-Remove Programs) list.
One other thing I noticed, until uninstalled as mentioned above, Windows Updates can and often do, re-enable its automatic startup.

That should pretty much take care of it. There is a locked shared service that still runs automatically which can be stopped but cannot be disabled permanently.
Once uninstalled, reboot your computer and then you should be able to safely delete the entry in the Windows Explorer - see screenshot

Additional Info:
There is a shared service that cannot be disabled because it is locked (thank you MS!) and it does affect the performance of file copy when the user is copying or moving files TO or FROM their User profile whether they are doing it manually, using a script or a 3rd party app.

Once this service is stopped, the data transfer goes faster and typically without any issues (especially if any data was being copied from the OneDrive folder) - see screenshot
The other thing that can significantly affect overall file copying/backup process is the native/3rd party AV app in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing One Drive-sync-host_xxxxx.jpg   Removing One Drive-windows-explorer-onedrive-02.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-23-2023 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2024, 10:28 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've disabled One Drive sync (via profile) probably 50 times in the last year or two. I'm not sure of everything that turns the syncing on whether you want it or not, but today I copied one photo from the phone and that did it. I do not under any circumstances want it turned on, EVER. I'm sure it's a jim-dandy solution for lots of folks... but I don't want it. So today I deleted it via control panel. I almost expect doing this will break something else, but I don't know. Any experience?
Totally sympathize. I hate One Drive. I took my laptop to my library where they have excellent tech support and he de-installed it for me. Completely gone. Everything works fine just like before, before One Drive infested my PC. My File explorer is all mine and everything is where it should be.
Unfortunately every time there is a windows update it will get re-installed. If that happens i will get it removed again.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:32 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Unfortunately every time there is a windows update it will get re-installed.
And this here is why you can never trust de-crap-ifying Windows. I remember when the forced "upgrades" to 10 were being bemoaned by Windows users and their go to was some "aegis" script, but the project was ultimately dropped and most gave up and relented.

ha hooooo

Old 02-05-2024, 03:39 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Totally sympathize. I hate One Drive. I took my laptop to my library where they have excellent tech support and he de-installed it for me. Completely gone. Everything works fine just like before, before One Drive infested my PC. My File explorer is all mine and everything is where it should be.
Unfortunately every time there is a windows update it will get re-installed. If that happens i will get it removed again.
I never liked or used Microsoft's One Drive. Got rid of it only to have it come back. Then I used third-party software ( Winaero Tweaker ) to turn off Windows Updates for good, and One Drive is gone. And has now been gone for years. I can live quite comfortably without Windows Updates.

I only allow automatic updates to my security software, Webroot and Malwarebytes.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:23 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
As far as I can tell, mine hasn't come back since I removed it a year ago.

Old 02-07-2024, 04:41 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
As far as I can tell, mine hasn't come back since I removed it a year ago.
Good to know.

Old 02-10-2024, 02:09 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I hate OneDrive. I just discovered it had appropriated my confidential financial documents to its cloud service. I had to make sure I had copies on my computer (why buy a computer with 4TB of storage and an external hard drive for backups if you're going to put your information on the cloud where it can be hacked, stolen, and accessed by Lord-only-knows who?), delete all the files on the One Drive cloud, then delete One Drive from the control panel. Wasted a whole day of my time on MS crap. Even though I have nothing stored on the One Drive cloud, I continue to get spam from MS saying I need to pay them for more storage space. Extortion, plain and simple.

Will Winaero Tweaker prevent MS from sneaking in an unwanted "upgrade" from Win10 to Win11?

Old 02-13-2024, 01:10 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I just discovered it had appropriated my confidential financial documents to its cloud service.
NPC robots: "OMG you're being so paranoid! Just use it! Everyone else is using it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers