Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 06:12 PM

985 posts, read 530,910 times

Advertisements

My old Win 7 laptop died the other day. I bought another one (used), but would really like to try a non Windows OS on the new/old laptop. Win 7 is no longer supported, and although I loved that OS!, when it's obsolete, it's obsolete. Almost none of my old stuff would work on the replacement laptop that has Win 7 anyway because it is no longer supported.

I see different OS like chrome, ubuntu (sp?), linux, etc, but have no idea which one to try. I would like to keep the Win 7 on this replacement laptop and sorta audition some of the OS I named (and any other OS that are free).The more I have to deal w/ microsoft and google, the more I hate them.

My previous computer had Linux and it worked fine until it killed itself during an update. I'm not a techie but not an idiot either, so something that would be relatively straight forward to install and use would be nice. My old favorites like Photoshop 7 and other stuff will probably not work on a non windows OS and that's OK, I'm comfortable having a separate laptop for off line photo editing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 07:12 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I have a Chromebook that I use for browsing and e-mail, and it works fine for that purpose. If you go with Linux, then there are apps like Gimp for graphic editing and Blender for 3D modelling. LibreOffice works fine as a basic office toolset, even on Windows. The main thing I'd miss from losing Windows are games. There are a few games that have been ported to Linux, but nothing like the diverse range available.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:53 AM

1,097 posts, read 646,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
The more I have to deal w/ microsoft and google, the more I hate them.
Doesn't sound like ChromeOS is in your future.

Last edited by akrausz; 04-19-2024 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-19-2024, 07:33 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Ubuntu is fine. Try that.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Ubuntu is a solid choice but typically people good with Command Line and developers prefer Ubuntu.
For home users who like to use video/audio editing or Office productivity type tasks, Kubuntu might be better. Another popular distro I have used on and off is Linux Mint (Cinnamon or Mate).

Manjaro is user friendly distro and looks good. I recently installed and started playing with Zorin OS which I really liked. Its UI a bit like Windows and also very user friendly, especially if you are new to GNU/Linux.

You have a ton of open-source (free) apps and utilities to use for video/audio editing and office productivity.
As mentioned, LibreOffice is a solid choice as a MS Office alternative. Gimp can easily hold its own against Photoshop. You got Ardour for audio editing with pro features. KdenLive for serious video editing but if you want something easier and more user-friendly, you got ShotCut and OpenShot (both also have Windows versions).

Oddly enough, 24 years ago when I first GNU/Linux experience was with eLinux, even before I got copies of Suse and RedHat. I was at the SCO Exhibition in Santa Cruz, CA September of 2001 (a week before 9/11) and one of the vendors handed me a CD of eLinux. I was shocked at how quick and easy the installation was! Outside 3-4 selection I had to make, it was fully automated and went without a hitch.

PS. Visit www.rescatux.org and create a bootable Recovery USB media that can even be used with Windows.
If you have a non-booting system, this bootable flash drive could save the day.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:21 PM

33 posts, read 21,363 times
Well, here is what I did when my old hp desktop hard drive started throwing bad sectors, and blue screening on me every hour or so.

First I downloaded Mint 23, then downloaded Rufus to expand the iso to make a bootable live version on a memory stick. Then rebooted the computer off the stick (you may have to type "live" when it starts to run the os) and checked out if it ran well.

Once I had played around with it a while, I looked at the software manager to see what other free programs were available to download, I clicked on the desktop icon named "Install Mint". I had grabbed the extra backup drive from the computer to install to, as it passed the checkdsk /F with flying colors, and had nothing of consequence on it...

I went with the default install to let it make it's own partitions, and ran the installer. Took about 50 minutes total (including updating all the software from the install stick), and after reboot it has been running all day with no problems. I downloaded a few programs that didn't come with the iso I on the stick, and I have everything I need to run!

Well, except Gimp, but I'll get that here in a few minutes...

A very easy install compared to the old days (last time I installed Linux LibreOffice was called Star office, if that dates me...)

My Vote is for Mint Linux! LOL!

Old 04-23-2024, 12:28 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Parrot Security is very interesting and lightweight.
I use it on most of my old laptops (garage, shed, basement). It's my go to and it's all I need.
https://www.parrotsec.org/

MX Linux is also good for older computers: https://mxlinux.org/

Finally, POP OS: https://pop.system76.com/

Download their .ISO and and put them all in one multiboot flashdrive so you can try before installing them.
I use easy2boot.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:37 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Parrot Security is very interesting and lightweight.
I use it on most of my old laptops (garage, shed, basement). It's my go to and it's all I need.
You don't use it in the tree house?

All kidding aside, I actually liked Parrot OS a bit better than Kali.
Even though I didn't spend too much time on either one, Parrot seemed simpler and easier to use.

Ninja, you are not a novice home user so for those novice computer users, new to GNU/Linux, would you still say Parrot OS would be a good choice for their only computer on a daily basis?

I feel it'd be more suited for those that are either tech savvy in general or have intermediate level skills with GNU/Linux in general.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:59 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,008,706 times
You get like 7 years of updates with a Chromebook and they're dirt cheap. try one
I've heard good things for their Lenovo models

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You don't use it in the tree house?

All kidding aside, I actually liked Parrot OS a bit better than Kali.
Even though I didn't spend too much time on either one, Parrot seemed simpler and easier to use.

Ninja, you are not a novice home user so for those novice computer users, new to GNU/Linux, would you still say Parrot OS would be a good choice for their only computer on a daily basis?

I feel it'd be more suited for those that are either tech savvy in general or have intermediate level skills with GNU/Linux in general.
Well, StephenMM did mention that his "previous computer had Linux and it worked fine" and "I'm not a techie but not an idiot either, so something that would be relatively straight forward to install and use would be nice.". So StephenMM has some experience with Linux. He can try them before installing anything, by downloading the .ISOs and putting into a multiboot flashdrive.

I agree - Kali, ... I wouldn't recommend to a novice.
Parrot, however, is very simple to use. It just "looks" different. There's a Home Edition, for the everyday driver and a Security Edition, for those willing to explore and learn more. The Security Edition is more interesting to learn on. But you don't have to. With all the free software available, it definitely can be used as a daily driver.

And he did mention "old Win 7 laptop", so a lightweight linux distro would probably be best because Fedora and Ubuntu and their derivatives are becoming more "resource hungry" than they used to be.

Installation is a breeze. Two or three clicks and it installs pretty quick. Certainly faster than a Windows, Fedora or Ubuntu install.

But that's just my 2-cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers