Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 10:06 PM

35,237 posts, read 31,587,269 times

Advertisements

If you have a ten year old laptop, it's likely that you a typical hard disk drive, which is likely approaching mechanical failure at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 05:31 AM

1,149 posts, read 681,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you have a ten year old laptop, it's likely that you have a typical hard disk drive, which is likely approaching mechanical failure at this point.
Totally agree with your theory! Your application of it, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Had it for ten years, hard drive was replaced three years ago...

Last edited by akrausz; 05-13-2024 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-13-2024, 05:38 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,932,221 times
Quote:
Love my Lenovo G50-70. Had it for ten years, hard drive was replaced three years ago, battery a year ago. Now it won't hold a charge or recharge while plugged in. Tech didn't think it was the cord that was the problem. One USB port doesn't work, others do.

I need a large monitor, something reliable to watch youtube videos, do simple bank transfers, send emails and shopping are pretty much it. If it has a USB port to plug in my DVD player, that would be great.

I heard Windows 11 was a pain to use. I have Windows 10.

I don't know how to transfer all the photos and docs from my current hard drive to a new laptop.

On Amazon I see laptops under $1000 but what is most important to compare -- speed, RAM?

Should I even buy online or go to Best Buy or Staples or Office Depot of ?? They would offer help or tech support for a limited time, right?

I'm a clueless Boomer!
You heard wrong. Windows 11 is not hugely different from Windows 10. Some things are in a different place, but it’s not awfully hard to find them. No reason to fear Windows 11.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:52 AM

5,858 posts, read 3,275,483 times
Quote:
Love my Lenovo G50-70. Had it for ten years, hard drive was replaced three years ago, battery a year ago. Now it won't hold a charge or recharge while plugged in. Tech didn't think it was the cord that was the problem. One USB port doesn't work, others do.

I need a large monitor, something reliable to watch youtube videos, do simple bank transfers, send emails and shopping are pretty much it. If it has a USB port to plug in my DVD player, that would be great.

I heard Windows 11 was a pain to use. I have Windows 10.

I don't know how to transfer all the photos and docs from my current hard drive to a new laptop.

On Amazon I see laptops under $1000 but what is most important to compare -- speed, RAM?

Should I even buy online or go to Best Buy or Staples or Office Depot of ?? They would offer help or tech support for a limited time, right?

I'm a clueless Boomer!

Consumer Reports likes the LG Gram 17 (2022) Laptop.

Old 05-13-2024, 12:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,089,166 times
Windows 11 is just like 10 except colors. Very easy to change the right click menu along with bringing the start button to the left

Old 05-13-2024, 12:45 PM

6,243 posts, read 2,974,883 times
It sounds like your replacement battery is shot. Aftermarket batteries (if I assume that's what you have) are often junk, in my experience. I'd search for an OEM replacement, and if that fails, I'd just leave it plugged in while using. If you need it to be portable and cannot find an OEM battery, you'll have to settle for replacing aftermarket ones every couple of years or purchase a new computer.

Personally speaking, I'd do everything I could to avoid complete replacement of the computer because e-waste is becoming a big problem. But that's just me. Not everyone cares about that like I do.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:19 PM

1,183 posts, read 661,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Personally speaking, I'd do everything I could to avoid complete replacement of the computer because e-waste is becoming a big problem. But that's just me. Not everyone cares about that like I do.
I actually 100% agree with using something for as long as possible.

The problem with a really old computer is that it becomes quite possible that multiple problems start popping up... network card, wifi, hard drives, heck even the motherboard.

It's like having a really old car. Love it, but multiple things start failing and need replacing... making it a regular money pit. There is a point in time when it's just more practical to get a new (or newer) car.

I am a computer geek... so I have plenty of backup machines (I probably have 5 decent backup laptops sitting around), but the OP probably has none so if his main computer fails, he is without.

If the OP is tight for $$$, then yes I suggest just getting a new battery or just using it plugged in.

Otherwise, have fun looking for a nice shiny brand new lappy. Find one on sale and have at it. Then they can have piece of mind that they are covered for years to come (just make sure you buy a higher model from a reputable seller).

Old 05-13-2024, 05:18 PM

1,373 posts, read 703,600 times
Browse microcenter.com , lots of good deals there and maybe a replacement battery for you.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:15 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,170,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Agreed, and it's not just you. Between work and home I have five computers, and two of them are 10+ years old. I plan on using them until they stop running, no need for the latest & greatest. Suits my frugal nature quite nicely as well!

I did buy a refurb laptop a couple years ago and it sucked so bad I finally put it out of service, even though it technically still works. I have it in a box and plan on smashing it with a baseball bat when I get the chance (Office Space).

Old 05-13-2024, 09:23 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,239,945 times
I had never owned a laptop or any type of device (not even a "smart" phone) when I had to purchase something to WFH during Covid. Without knowing what I was doing - only that we used Dells at the office - I bought a cheap 10-year-old workhorse for a couple of hundred bucks. It lasted another three years before "pilot error" (I tripped over the charging cord and messed up the port) necessitated replacement. Again not knowing what I was doing, I bought the cheapest laptop on sale at Walmart - another $200 for an Asus - and love it. Beginner's luck? Sometimes too much research just gives you a headache! However, I would definitely try another charging cord and even a repair place first. They should be able to quote you a price; then decide for yourself if it's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers