Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 PM

81 posts, read 615,839 times

Advertisements

I will be moving next month to Fairfield. I was originally planning to commute into NYC. However, I'm considering a position in New Canaan. Not knowing much about alternative routes, I see that one way I can take is the Merrit Parkway to 123.

Now I know I-95 is nasty in the morning going southbound. However, I'm not sure about the Merritt. How are these routes coming from my direction in the morning around 7:30/8:00 am? Is there an alternative route that might be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

639 posts, read 2,712,091 times
Is the job near a Metro north station? You could always take the train, I believe both highways are bad in the morning and evening commute.

Edit.... I forgot the New Cannan station is not on the New Haven (Branch) so you would have to make a connection at Stamford. Nevermind! Sorry.

Last edited by uconn99; 11-13-2007 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 PM

You know...actually it is. It's a 0.5 mile from the train station to the office. That never occurred to me. I need to really wrap my head around this whole traffic situation if I plan on driving. My preference would really be to drive though, but it may not be worth the headache.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM

639 posts, read 2,712,091 times
You would have to transfer trains at Stamford. By the time you transfer (the schedule for transfers north may not be the best) and walk to the office, you probably are better off driving after all.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM

Yeah...I just looked at the schedule and there aren't any feasible options. Driving it is if I decide to work in CT. Oh well...I'm a New Yorker and if I can sit through traffic on the FDR then I should be able to handle the Merritt.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan29 View Post
I will be moving next month to Fairfield. I was originally planning to commute into NYC. However, I'm considering a position in New Canaan. Not knowing much about alternative routes, I see that one way I can take is the Merrit Parkway to 123.

Now I know I-95 is nasty in the morning going southbound. However, I'm not sure about the Merritt. How are these routes coming from my direction in the morning around 7:30/8:00 am? Is there an alternative route that might be better?
The Merritt should not be too bad of a commute for you. The parkway's rush-hour traffic patterns resemble a lashing whip. You slow in some areas; you speed up in others. The one problem spot you will consistently encounter on a trip between Fairfield and New Canaan is in Norwalk, where the Merritt and Route 7 meet. This is a congested area primarily because of poorly-designed exit ramps and the presence of the sprawling Merritt 7 office park, which is located right off the parkway on Main Avenue.

I would not suggest taking Metro North (as much I wish I could recommend it). Your problem would be trying to travel from Stamford to New Canaan. This is a single track facility and you would be traveling against the rush-hour rail commute to Stamford and New York. I don't know how many (if any) reverse commute trains are run on this line.

Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:17 PM

51 posts, read 222,841 times
You'd be going all around Robinhoods barn to get from Fairfield to New Canaan on the back roads....I don't kow where in Fairfield you'd be starting from...but you'd have to travel Blackrock tpke towards Danbury several miles and then take several cross street s..circling wesport..wilton..maybe to Rt. 7....quite a drive around...you'd be better dealing with the Merritt...which is guaranteed to be a nightmare....but at least it would be for maybe 4 or 5 exits.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 53,823 times
Basically traffic in CT sucks. On both I-95 and Merritt.
No two ways about it (sorry for the pun!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut