Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,001 times

Advertisements

I couldnt find any other threads or articles online answering anything about what is considered large, medium, small, average throughout the country, and in connecticut. My family home which I currently live is around 1.25 acres in Southington, set back from the street, surrounded by other holmes with much smaller lots. I'm not quite sure why this propery was outlined this way, given that it doesnt fit in at all with the cul de sac and bordering neighborhoods. There does not seem to be much consistency in property size in Southington, and many other mainly suburban connecticut towns, though.
For instance, within a mile radious of this location, you can find a mansion with a smaller property, and a small home with a larger property. Does it play a big role in home value? I lived in Orange County, California with a close friend and its incredible how close together the holmes are. If you're middle class, you mostly will live in apartment/condo complexes with no yard, or if you can afford it, a cookie cutter home an inch from the next house. The Newport Coast area of Newport Beach was the only area(that I spent any time in)in Southern coastal OC region (I was in Aliso Viejo) that you may get some acrege. Mainly, because it is incredibly affluent/still developing on the hills, so you can get more if you pay more, especially when just buying land. Also, it isnt entirely master planned and build at once with a specific number of square miles and residents, like Aliso Viejo. Anyway, while living there It made the most cookie cutter neighborhoods and/or what would be considered small lots in Connecticut look massive. It changed my perspective, and made the new holmes and developments always Sprouting up in Southingon less of an aesthetic blight compared to how I felt before being exposed to the bizarre world of master-planned towns/communities.

You can simply just state how large your property is, or explain/share information on my more specific questions and statements, any reply is appreciated.

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 05:25 PM

21,637 posts, read 31,257,534 times
In the northeastern US suburbs, homes are generally on larger lots with many towns setting minimum acreage zoning (for example, all new homes in my town have to be on at least 1 acre of land). When you get down to the more dense areas, though, you'll find homes on postage stamp lots (coastal, near highways/trains). Many of our roads were former horse and cow paths back in the 1800s so you're less likely to see grid-like streets that you'll find in places like Huntington Beach and the like. Even in our incredibly affluent towns (Greenwich, Darien, etc) where land is very pricey, you'll notice homes on larger lots. People here just don't like the postage stamp thing.

I'm on an acre of land. I like having my space, but the cost of upkeep is high and it's a lot of physical work (leaves in fall, snow clearing in winter, grass cutting in summer) - unless you can afford thousands per year to pay someone to take care of it. Sometimes I do miss my small lot.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:32 PM

If you dont mind me asking, which town is that? That sounds like an awfully high minimum land, but a very good way of preserving the town. Also, tell me about it. I thought to myself earlier that I wanted to take it upon myself to plant grass in certain parts of the yard, that everyone has neglected. I was not to happy when I saw the Cost per pound/square food coverage.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:34 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times
I have 0.54 acre. It's plenty big for me.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:35 PM

Also, I've lived or had a parent living in New Britain, Newington, West Hartfod, Simsbury, Southington. So I've seen the more dense vs less dense, but nothing like what I saw out west.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg1234 View Post
Also, I've lived or had a parent living in New Britain, Newington, West Hartfod, Simsbury, Southington. So I've seen the more dense vs less dense, but nothing like what I saw out west.
I'm guessing you're concerned with this from an investment point of view.

I would say that you should have the amount of land that is customary and expected in the neighborhood where the house is located. For example, it will hurt your home value if the typical property size in a neighborhood is half an acre and you have significantly less. On the other hand, if a quarter acre is the norm in a neighborhood, you won't see the value of significantly more.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
1.2 ac. Wish it was more. I think Clinton allows one acre/one livestock animal. Not sure if I want to bring the horse here even if I could but I'd like to set it up for a horse anyway.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times
2.5 acres... We're in the sticks.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:23 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,428,190 times
I'm on just shy of 2 acres. Grandfathered in, as new single family house zoning in my town requires 2+ acres.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,980,196 times
I have 0.35 acres, which has always seemed like a large amount to me as lots of houses near me have less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut