Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM

14,451 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

This unit is fairly new, and has only been used for recording maybe 15-20 times.
There is some malfunction when the tape rewinds after a recording.

Would anyone know what part is likely to be causing it? We've lost two new tapes.

On the first tape (of three - one used and then the two new ones) used for the first testing, I thought that maybe the tape was too loose or had too much slack in the tape.
Then a new tape and the same thing happened.

Last edited by howard555; 03-05-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
VCRs are not user serviceable. Just return it for a refund. FWIW, eating tapes is commonly related to the loading and unloading transport not functioning properly. Could be bad motor (there are sometimes a couple of them), weak power supply to a motor, lever with a burr, improper gear meshing or alignment, sticky bearing, etc. If you take the cover off and defeat the safety override you can often watch the various actions to localize an issue. Fixing it is usually not possible.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
VCRs are not user serviceable. Just return it for a refund. FWIW, eating tapes is commonly related to the loading and unloading transport not functioning properly. Could be bad motor (there are sometimes a couple of them), weak power supply to a motor, lever with a burr, improper gear meshing or alignment, sticky bearing, etc. If you take the cover off and defeat the safety override you can often watch the various actions to localize an issue. Fixing it is usually not possible.
NOT always true, harry. I have fixed MANY with few tools and the patience to watch what happens in the tape path. In this case I would start by using a good quality tape head cleaner to clean the record/playback heads and then try playing a expendable tape. I have a stack of about 9 working VCR's now because people threw them out with no clue they were still usable. Two of these are even Stereo rec/playback models. More often than not, there can be an issue with dirt or debris under the dust cover on the TAPE itself and people rarely examine the condition of their tapes. They just shove them in and expect them to play.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM

I know it is like old tube TV's and microwaves, when they break it is often cheaper to buy another one than do repairs. This VCR is not that old or that much use. I'll take the cover off and watch the mechanisms. It seems to be random and we only use it when we are not home. When we come back and try to remove the tape, there it is, tangled and we have to slightly pull on the tape and press the play button to finally get it out, and rewind it snugly by hand. A small button on the end of the tape allows the cover to be opened for a straight and snug rewind.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I know it is like old tube TV's and microwaves, when they break it is often cheaper to buy another one than do repairs. This VCR is not that old or that much use. I'll take the cover off and watch the mechanisms. It seems to be random and we only use it when we are not home. When we come back and try to remove the tape, there it is, tangled and we have to slightly pull on the tape and press the play button to finally get it out, and rewind it snugly by hand. A small button on the end of the tape allows the cover to be opened for a straight and snug rewind.
READ my previous post. ^ Take the cover off and insert a tape and WATCH what the transport does. DOES it accept the tape and lift the tape door at the same time? DO the capstans align behind the tape so it travels against the playback heads? I HAVE the same machine you're talking about with the DVD player and it still works after 8 years.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
I know it is like old tube TV's and microwaves, when they break it is often cheaper to buy another one than do repairs..
Depends on the VCR, the ones available now are either going to be junk or ridiculously expensive professional models. If you have a used one there is some highly desirable units even if they need work.

Used and retailed for $350 new:

JVC HR-S9911 S-VHS VCR | eBay

Old 03-05-2014, 01:41 PM

Some of the older JVC stereo VCR's were excellent quality and many are probably still working.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
That particular VCR is sought after because it has noise reduction feature that does wonders on chroma noise. When that was sold it was perhaps the best consumer grade VCR you could get before getting into the professional models. It also has a LTBC in it which can help with minor timing errors. It's a hot item for anyone doing digital transfers.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM

The cover has not been taken off as of yet.
There appears to be something else wrong. While monitoring the unit as it records, and the tape is progressing normally, there is a point in time when the unit turns off. The tape is ejected but the tape itself is visibly fine and not twisted. A spare Phillips Magnavox will replace it pending more testing with the cover off.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
The cover has not been taken off as of yet.
There appears to be something else wrong. While monitoring the unit as it records, and the tape is progressing normally, there is a point in time when the unit turns off. The tape is ejected but the tape itself is visibly fine and not twisted. A spare Phillips Magnavox will replace it pending more testing with the cover off.
I hope you figure it out, as though they are not an expensive machine, they're usually pretty reliable as cheap a price as they go for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics