Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2021, 02:59 PM

16 posts, read 10,588 times

Advertisements

Hi Tantalust

Its a sony STR-DE185 (I have my cassette deck and other stuff hooked up -- Plays them all quite nicely)

A pain when it goes into PROTECT as I have to get up and turn it off/on!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 05:02 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
For what it's worth, the receiver sends the electronic signal to a load (in this case the speakers). If the impedance matches (receiver output impedance and speakers impedance), there should be a mostly complete energy transfer. If the impedance is off, some energy will not be transferred (and can stay in the receiver). If there is an issue with wiring / connection, all the energy could be remaining in the receiver, which would cause an overload.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:31 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
depends on how the protection is done. the voltage of the rails is fixed - it is what it is. its generally overcurrent. if the current reaches some limit it turns on a detection transistor that in most cases either causes the input signal to be swallowed whole and/or shuts off a relay to protect the speakers from too much current or DC (any amount which will kill them)

it generally does not protect the amp itself, in fact, by the time it kicks on, the amp has already killed itself at the speed of light.

in most cases the protection detection eats itself as well.

in most cases it can be fixed, depending on how much you are in love with it.

pay attn to the speaker impedance labels. its a very real, very quick way to destroy some silicone...

Old 02-10-2022, 08:51 AM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
I know this is an older post, but something that VCOOD wrote (post #19) caught my eye: "My sony tuner often goes into PROTECT mode when the AC comes on..".

Years ago, was at a customer's house trying to troubleshoot an issue he said he was having with his Proton television - he said that every once in a while the picture would get messed up, but then would go back to normal a while later. My manager was with the customer in the middle of the room (close to the television), while I was near the entry door at the rear of the room.

The television was on (picture looked normal) and sound was turned down as the issue was discussed between my manager and the customer. Shortly afterwards, the picture on the television distorted - don't recall exactly what it looked like, but it wasn't as it should have been. It stayed that way for a few minutes and then went back to normal. Nothing had been changed with any of the controls of the connected equipment.

A short time later, it happened again. This time, however, I heard a distinct 'click' near me as it happened. Further troubleshooting showed that the HVAC system cycling on was causing the issue. (I had been standing near the thermostat when I heard the 'click' sound). The customer contacted his HVAC company - not sure of what they found, but the issue was resolved shortly afterwards.
---------

In another case, we had a customer that said his TV's picture would 'shrink'. We had two or three service calls where a tech would spend hours with the system on, but the issue never happened while they were there.

We later were able to narrow down that it was only happening on evenings or weekends. Based on this, we questioned if it was due to more people being home in the area and more demand on the electric grid in their neighborhood (brownouts). The customer had his electrician do more testing and they contacted the local power provider. We never went back for that issue, so have to guess it was resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics