Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 08:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What?
He/She is talking about cable boxes vs TV over the internet (like with Roku or FireTV).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 08:57 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
He/She is talking about cable boxes vs TV over the internet (like with Roku or FireTV).
Perhaps, but none of it is accurate nor does it make sense.

Old 11-10-2021, 09:13 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times
The local telephone company going back 100 years became the cable TV company offering home phone, cable TV via a cable box and modem internet service. They now have streaming internet and TV. Any new customers or existing customers that need to turn in the cable box (defective, over heating or any other reason) will no longer be given a replacement box. They will be forced to accept their new streaming internet and TV.

NO we do not get all TV channels we want and must choose one of their packages of channels

and choose from the internet packages they offer. The will give a free fire stick.
Wireless TV is a new animal for us and we have been told by those who already use their streaming services that if we lose the TV due to a storm or other cause we also use internet. This is not what we'd prefer. And vice versa if we lose internet we lose TV.

With the cable box and cable modem (they are doing away with) we might lose both but many times we have lost TV but still had internet or vice versa. Wireless internet sounds good. Wireless TV not so. Losing both for extended periods of time would be typical to this company. They are outages frequently. Once the TV was out for over two hours but we still had internet service.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:36 PM

532 posts, read 445,766 times
I'm in Fairbanks Alaska and I'm going through the same issue with Cable TV. Cable TV will be gone by December 31st.
The ISP company I use (GCI) currently gives a bundle package for TV, Cell phone and Internet service. They are offering a new streaming service to replace their cable service. It's called "Yukon TV"
It seems to be causing a lot of down time with poor customer service per anecdotal posts on FB so I have been exploring other options.

The locally offered Yukon TV seems comparable to direct TV.
One of my big considerations is that GCI (our local ISP) has an office with live people that I can talk to and they have been really good with customer service and tweaking my account occasionally over the last 10 years.

Thanks for starting this thread I'm going to follow along for ideas and suggestions.

Good luck with whatever service you pick.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:39 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I'm in Fairbanks Alaska and I'm going through the same issue with Cable TV. Cable TV will be gone by December 31st.
The ISP company I use (GCI) currently gives a bundle package for TV, Cell phone and Internet service. They are offering a new streaming service to replace their cable service. It's called "Yukon TV"
It seems to be causing a lot of down time with poor customer service per anecdotal posts on FB so I have been exploring other options.

One of my big considerations is that GCI (our local ISP) has an office with live people that I can talk to and they have been really good with customer service and tweaking my account occasionally over the last 10 years.

Thanks for starting this thread I'm going to follow along for ideas and suggestions.

That is exactly what we have.
We only have one choice. Accept their plans or move to another area. They are a known monopoly around here.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:50 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
https://www.gci.com/internet#plans
Get the cheap internet plan. Drop the 'landline' no matter what discount they offer.
Buy some Rokus or Chromecasts.
Then try Youtube TV, Hulu TV, Fubo TV.

$75/internet + $60-70 for TV. +one time purchase of devices.
Done.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:43 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:

How are they supplying the service? Fiber-optic cable? DSL? What internet speeds will you actually get? My phone company has ads just like yours saying "up to 200 mbps" and when you press them, you find out it's actually 3-5 mbps DSL service.

Can you get Starlink there?

Old 11-18-2021, 07:19 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
[quote=KCZ;62335478 My phone company has ads just like yours saying "up to 200 mbps" and when you press them, you find out it's actually 3-5 mbps DSL service.
[/QUOTE]

They aren't lying. In places where they have installed fiber, you will get up to 200. Otherwise, it's DSL. When you 'press them'. LOL You mean ask? They aren't going to lie to you... unless this is some one I've never heard of. Joe's Internet?

Old 11-22-2021, 11:19 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
I don'y know much about this since I've always had cable & recently, a few streaming services too.

I hope your cost is going to be less since streaming in general has been cheaper than cable all along.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Good News: Youtube TV has CNN

I have the opposite problem that you do. My retirement community charges me $35 for cable TV which I don't want. But I still choose streaming...

I prefer streaming because it is just so easy.
  • You get every station (except the weather channel, so sad).
  • You get unlimited DVR.
  • Watching a show in the living room, when you move to the bedroom, you can continue where it stopped.
  • Watch it on the TV, computer, tablet, even your phone.
So yes, I have cable but I choose to stream.
Roku stick has weather channels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics