Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2021, 07:49 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

We live on the upper 2 floors of a townhouse. Another flat occupies the main floor.

Nutone intercoms attached to the front door were installed in the 80's.

Our intercom talks between our main floor and the front door, between our second floor and the front door, and between the two floors, who can talk to each other.

When we moved in here last year, the front door could hear the main floor and our second floor speaking, but we could not hear the front door speaking from either unit (but the doorbell worked). We could speak to them at the front door but not hear them. Each upstairs unit can hear and talk to each other.

We have tried switching out the front door unit with the unit belonging to the downstairs flat. We cannot hear through that unit, either (although we were able to have full communication when it was wired to their system). The only thing I have not tried is wiring our front door unit to their system to see if we have the same problem.

My general understanding is that on doorbell and other similar units it's usually not the wiring; its the units themselves, but I'm starting to wonder if the wiring might be the problem in this case.

I would not like to substitute a Ring system because we would lose the ability to talk between floors and because I don't want to have to carry my phone around with me all the time when I'm in the house.

If anyone has any ideas we haven't thought of - aside from calling Nutone which I guess we will do if nothing obvious comes to mind - I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 08:22 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...ntercom+system
Give a list of videos about nutone intercom troubleshooting.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:27 AM

Thanks! I see a couple with units just like mine in there. Will do some poking around.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Plenty of options on Amazon. If you look you will find elsewhere.

Most can be mounted on the wall like the nutones. No wires required, not in this day and age.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=in+house+intercom

Old 12-01-2021, 04:19 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
This sounds like something similar what my friends have (it's outdated, because new units have camera as well) but the intercom also was able to unlock the entry gate and the main entry door.
Is that what yours also supposed to do, OP?

Old 12-02-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This sounds like something similar what my friends have (it's outdated, because new units have camera as well) but the intercom also was able to unlock the entry gate and the main entry door.
Is that what yours also supposed to do, OP?
Our particular one does not unlock any doors. It just has speaking capability. I would love to have something that unlocks the front door because while I (should be able to) speak to the front door, I still have to run down to let them in if it's locked.

All the new ones I've looked at (but I certainly haven't seen them all so far) that are wireless, use the phone as their implementer. I don't want to do that. That would mean I have to run around with the phone tied around my neck all the time, upstairs and downstairs. I'm not that kind of person. And my husband is if anything worse about that.

All the new ones that are wired don't seem to have the capability of talking upstairs to downstairs AND talking to and hearing the front door people from both floors.

I may have to get in a professional who knows about all this stuff. Would that be a regular electrician?

Old 12-02-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Our particular one does not unlock any doors. It just has speaking capability. I would love to have something that unlocks the front door because while I (should be able to) speak to the front door, I still have to run down to let them in if it's locked.

All the new ones I've looked at (but I certainly haven't seen them all so far) that are wireless, use the phone as their implementer. I don't want to do that. That would mean I have to run around with the phone tied around my neck all the time, upstairs and downstairs. I'm not that kind of person. And my husband is if anything worse about that.

All the new ones that are wired don't seem to have the capability of talking upstairs to downstairs AND talking to and hearing the front door people from both floors.

I may have to get in a professional who knows about all this stuff. Would that be a regular electrician?
I suppose you did not click on the link I provided. I have no idea what the phone as an implementer thing is either. Most of the units on Amazon that are on that page use FM radio. They have 2, 4 and 6 units based intercom systems. Many examples, many prices. Here's a 2 unit system. Couldn't be easier and it's not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2Z9LPM/?th=1

Old 12-03-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I suppose you did not click on the link I provided. I have no idea what the phone as an implementer thing is either. Most of the units on Amazon that are on that page use FM radio. They have 2, 4 and 6 units based intercom systems. Many examples, many prices. Here's a 2 unit system. Couldn't be easier and it's not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2Z9LPM/?th=1
Yes, I did look at the link you provided. Thanks. But I did not find one that will talk to people inside the house AND talk to someone at the front door, which is our main need. The units in this particular example are all inside type units.

By "phone implementer" I meant that you use the Ring system with your smartphone. Without the phone, there is no way to see who's at the door, or talk to them.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, I did look at the link you provided. Thanks. But I did not find one that will talk to people inside the house AND talk to someone at the front door, which is our main need. The units in this particular example are all inside type units.

By "phone implementer" I meant that you use the Ring system with your smartphone. Without the phone, there is no way to see who's at the door, or talk to them.
Got you. So, I looked up "wireless intercom front door". What came up are intercom doorbells. Do you want just the intercom or intercom with a door bell? I would assume with the door bell.

Most of these don't require internet, wifi or wires. Some even have video.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=intercom+...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I see at least one that has one outdoor intercom/doorbell and two indoor intercoms like the Nutone plus you can connect with other indoor intercom systems for more rooms. They list a separate package that even has two outdoor intercom doorbells. They are rechargeable units, no way around that without wires. You can read some reviews on it to get feedback.

https://www.amazon.com/Wuloo-Interco.../dp/B07PG82TK7

Old 12-03-2021, 03:22 PM

Thanks, gguera! I'll have to sit down tomorrow and look at all these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics