Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 08:48 AM

972 posts, read 542,155 times

Advertisements

If you're going to have a two-channel system that will handle both music and TV audio, what's the difference between using a network stereo receiver (like the Yamaha R-N303) or a 2-channel AVR (like the Denon DRA-800H). The point isn't to compare those specific models; I'm just giving an example of what I mean by a network stereo receiver and a 2-channel AVR. Are there any differences in how the TV audio would be controlled? I'd want the TV audio control to be as seamless as possible.

If I go with an AVR, does it really matter whether I use a 2-channel AVR versus using a multi-channel AVR in stereo mode (other than the ability to add other channels later, which I don't expect to)?

I'm not interested in anything beyond two channels, so please don't try to sell me on a sub, center, etc. I'm not going to run separate systems for music and TV. I just want to know the difference between these two receiver options. Thanks!

Last edited by Masamune; 11-27-2021 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 09:14 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
If you want to use your receiver with your television, you need a 4k capable AVR like the Denon DRA-800H. A stereo receiver like the Yamaha R-N303 is just for listening to music.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:22 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
If you want to use your receiver with your television, you need a 4k capable AVR like the Denon DRA-800H. A stereo receiver like the Yamaha R-N303 is just for listening to music.
Not true. If the OP only has one video source, then the Yamaha will work just fine. No need to spend money to switch video sources if you only have one.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:33 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Not true. If the OP only has one video source, then the Yamaha will work just fine. No need to spend money to switch video sources if you only have one.
Agree. Nothing is "just for listening to music". If you have an output on the TV that connects to an input, that's all you need.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:21 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
If you're going to have a two-channel system that will handle both music and TV audio, what's the difference between using a network stereo receiver (like the Yamaha R-N303) or a 2-channel AVR (like the Denon DRA-800H). The point isn't to compare those specific models; I'm just giving an example of what I mean by a network stereo receiver and a 2-channel AVR. Are there any differences in how the TV audio would be controlled? I'd want the TV audio control to be as seamless as possible.

If I go with an AVR, does it really matter whether I use a 2-channel AVR versus using a multi-channel AVR in stereo mode (other than the ability to add other channels later, which I don't expect to)?

I'm not interested in anything beyond two channels, so please don't try to sell me on a sub, center, etc. I'm not going to run separate systems for music and TV. I just want to know the difference between these two receiver options. Thanks!
The only difference would be the network capabilities the Yamaha adds.

Other than that, you can play anything you like, music, movies, TV or whatever on either one.

Technically, either one can be 2.1 which would add subwoofer capabilities.

I looked up both models, they don't seem to be any less expensive than multi-channel surround units. They literally have a button on the remote that will choose different speaker configurations, stereo 2 speaker, 5 channel stereo, 7 channel surround and so on. It wouldn't cost any more to get a surround receiver. You are not forced into anything. I frequently use 5 channel stereo. It fills out the sound in the room much better than just two front speakers.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:39 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
Keep in mind that a stereo receiver such as the Yamaha R-N303 does not have video inputs or outputs.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:53 PM

1,097 posts, read 644,377 times
I have a network receiver. It has built-in functionality where I can use the app on my cell phone to stream music from online sources like Pandora as well as play my music collection stored on my computer. I run an Ethernet cable from my router to my receiver. Otherwise I would have to use an add-on gadget which requires the TV to be on.

Old 12-19-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Keep in mind that a stereo receiver such as the Yamaha R-N303 does not have video inputs or outputs.
I was thinking that with a stereo receiver that has optical in, I could run all video sources into the TV, then run the TV's audio out into the receiver's audio in. Then I could connect audio-only sources, like a turntable, to the receiver.

If I understand AVR's correctly, each video source's HDMI would be connected to the AVR, then the selected video signal would be passed through to the TV. This would mean that all source selection would be done through the AVR. With the stereo receiver, however, the video source selection would be done through the TV, then the audio would be output to the receiver, which would in turn be set to select that audio input and send it to the speakers. Do I understand both setups correctly?

Old 12-19-2021, 07:12 AM

1,097 posts, read 644,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
I was thinking that with a stereo receiver that has optical in, I could run all video sources into the TV, then run the TV's audio out into the receiver's audio in. Then I could connect audio-only sources, like a turntable, to the receiver.

If I understand AVR's correctly, each video source's HDMI would be connected to the AVR, then the selected video signal would be passed through to the TV. This would mean that all source selection would be done through the AVR. With the stereo receiver, however, the video source selection would be done through the TV, then the audio would be output to the receiver, which would in turn be set to select that audio input and send it to the speakers. Do I understand both setups correctly?
Yes. But you may have problems with a stereo receiver when the source has more than two audio channels.

Old 12-19-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Yes. But you may have problems with a stereo receiver when the source has more than two audio channels.
Good point. An AVR would be able to convert multi-channel to 2-channel stereo. A stereo receiver with an optical input might not do that.

I'll go with an AVR. As gguera says, it doesn't necessarily have to be a dedicated stereo AVR.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics