Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2022, 03:33 PM

652 posts, read 689,647 times

Advertisements

How do I go about creating a outdoor live stream camera? I know I need a camera and somehow connect it to my computer. Then, I should be able to stream or record using OBS. Does any of this make sense? Thanks for any help or info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 05:14 PM

23,655 posts, read 70,678,985 times
You can use a webcam, or you might just use an add-on automobile rear-view cam and screen. Those can take a large card for recording and they overwrite the oldest video, so you never have to change the card. You would need a 12 volt power supply though.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:25 PM

652 posts, read 689,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You can use a webcam, or you might just use an add-on automobile rear-view cam and screen. Those can take a large card for recording and they overwrite the oldest video, so you never have to change the card. You would need a 12 volt power supply though.
I can take a automobile rear-view cam and a screen to make a outdoor live stream camera? What screen? I'm not sure if I am following you correctly or not.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:28 PM

23,655 posts, read 70,678,985 times
For instance, if it is intended to supplant or replace a rear view mirror, it will include camera, lighter socket power plug, about 20'of wire and a 10" or 12" rear view mirror screen showing what that rear camera sees. Look on Amazon or eBay for examples. A dashcam is similar, but the screen and camera are in the single unit.

An advantage is not having to have a computer running all the time and they are pretty small and bulletproof. Clarity is good. Cost is decent. A 12 volt supply means an AC trickle charger and gel cell will keep it running even in power failures.

Disadvantage is that it is stand-alone and not designed to hook into a computer or for live streaming. If you saw something you wanted to share, you would have to remove the card and find the segment and copy it off.

Bluntly, the couple game cams I've tried weren't worth the money I paid. They take time to power up, miss shots, and sometimes notify and scare the game. They also trigger on dappled sunlight and other nonsense.

For security when living rural, a dashcam with the screen covered over and discretely placed near the road can give a clear record of every car that goes by it, with a timestamp. If a neighbor is robbed, hand the memory card over and let the car and tags get traced. It is somewhat along the idea of a Ring doorbell camera, but more in keeping with the needs of rural folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics