Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 12:09 PM

18,234 posts, read 25,894,159 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I decided to go here with it. if the moderator who oversees this forum moves it to another forum for more responses I'm good with it!

My sister lives an hour southwest of Denver, the closest town is Bailey which has a population of 300 or so. OTA television reception doesn't reach her house at all. She has Dish Network, has had it for a few years now. I talked to her last night about the NBC network, she basically doesn't get it at all and hasn't since last October. Her favorite channel is AXIS TV. From what I can surmise out of this is that' it's a standoff between Dish and Tegna.

I've read the issue about these two groups and if I didn't know any better it looks like two 8th graders shooting spit wads at each other in Math class. I'm aware of the fact that Direc TV has gone through the same thing in the past. My question is--over the air antenna is not doable because of her location and the same goes for internet. For whatever reason Comcast Cable dropped internet service several years ago. She goes to her local county library once, maybe twice a week. It's maybe a ten minute drive. I'm a simple minded Joe Schmo so when you are talking about Roku, wifi hotspots, etc., I obviously go through the internet search process. My question though, is how can she get NBC as she would like to watch the Super Bowl two weeks from now?

When she called Dishnetwork's phone number she got the same response from the message she gets from the NBC screen announcement. She then talked to customer service and was told that she can get NBC if she subscribes to ESPN or Paramount, in which case they obviously want more money from you. Her budget is real tight so her answer was no to that.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 07:58 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,741,898 times
Get a $30 Roku. Set that up.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,492,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I decided to go here with it. if the moderator who oversees this forum moves it to another forum for more responses I'm good with it!

My sister lives an hour southwest of Denver, the closest town is Bailey which has a population of 300 or so. OTA television reception doesn't reach her house at all. She has Dish Network, has had it for a few years now. I talked to her last night about the NBC network, she basically doesn't get it at all and hasn't since last October. Her favorite channel is AXIS TV. From what I can surmise out of this is that' it's a standoff between Dish and Tegna.

I've read the issue about these two groups and if I didn't know any better it looks like two 8th graders shooting spit wads at each other in Math class. I'm aware of the fact that Direc TV has gone through the same thing in the past. My question is--over the air antenna is not doable because of her location and the same goes for internet. For whatever reason Comcast Cable dropped internet service several years ago. She goes to her local county library once, maybe twice a week. It's maybe a ten minute drive. I'm a simple minded Joe Schmo so when you are talking about Roku, wifi hotspots, etc., I obviously go through the internet search process. My question though, is how can she get NBC as she would like to watch the Super Bowl two weeks from now?

When she called Dishnetwork's phone number she got the same response from the message she gets from the NBC screen announcement. She then talked to customer service and was told that she can get NBC if she subscribes to ESPN or Paramount, in which case they obviously want more money from you. Her budget is real tight so her answer was no to that.

Comments/suggestions are welcome!
Pretty simple really.

No OTA, can't do anything about that unless she places an antenna on top of a 50ft tower. Just kidding, I don't know the specifics.

No internet in the traditional sense, she can get satellite internet but if her budget is real tight then there is that. That has limitations and does not come cheap.

Then there's upgrading to the channel/s she wants over Dish Network, more money and if her budget is tight....

That leaves one possibility, broadband internet or in other words internet you get from a cell phone company. That also costs money of course but could be cheaper than Dish Network which is a rip off in my opinion plus they tie you down to a contract. I got rid of that scam years ago. This service also has limitations and is not cheap but there is one possibility, T-Mobile Home Internet. Maybe someone else can offer more suggestions in this regard but here is more on the T-Mobile. They do fill up but as they add more towers they add more customers. You could also call them. Of course none of this would work if there is no cell phone coverage in the area.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

Old 01-31-2022, 09:45 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,741,898 times
Oh, I somehow missed no internet...

Old 02-03-2022, 09:49 AM

1,111 posts, read 655,072 times
Here are the options off the top of my head:

1. OTA TV
2. Cable company wired to the house (TV and internet)
3. Landline phone company wired to the house (TV and internet)
4. Fixed wireless (internet)
5. Satellite TV
6. Satellite internet

Like gguerra said, look into fixed wireless. Otherwise she's probably stuck with satellite, but check with neighbors and see what they are doing. Apparently fixed wireless is available in Bailey according to this:

https://broadbandnow.com/Colorado/Bailey

Last edited by akrausz; 02-03-2022 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics