Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 05:14 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

It doesn’t appear to be Roku, it doesn’t happen on any other channel I watch except the Roku channel.

So I’m watching the show, and there’s commercial breaks. The commercial freezes the screen but the audio keeps going. The audio of the program comes back with the screen still frozen. The fix is to hit the home button, and click on the Roku channel again, and restart the program from where it left off. I do have to let it run a few seconds before I perform this “fix”, because if I don’t it takes me back to the ads again. All other channels are fine.

I have made sure the Roku device was updated, I have made sure the Roku channel app was updated, I have removed the Roku channel, restarted the Roku, reinstalled the channel, and it’s still happening. As far as I can tell I’ve done everything I can do.

When I first got the Roku several years ago and this one’s only a couple of years old, I had a problem with another channel, and removing it and putting it back on solved it. So I started looking for some esoteric reasons that this may be happening, and all of the oddball things like I have some sort of ad setting on my router I didn’t do that. I’m the IT person in the family so I know what I did and what I didn’t do.

Anybody have any clues?

Old 06-24-2022, 11:25 AM

And it appears that I can get no help from Roku itself so… I guess if I wanna watch the Dick Van Dyke show I’m going to have to go back to my DVDs.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 AM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
I believe you may have seen these:
- https://community.roku.com/t5/Playba...es/td-p/597216

- https://community.roku.com/t5/Playba...ls/td-p/759892

Also, just curious what your video settings might be (since you don't mention which unit you have or the TV). Guessing you're connected via HDMI cable - do you have the option of selecting the video resolution in the Roku unit? If so, and it's set to 'Auto' or 'Automatic', try forcing it to (depending on what your TV can accept) 1080P or 720P as a test. If it continues to happen with 1080, change it to 720 and try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 09:42 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
OP, I was having the same problem for a couple days. But when we tried watching our usual cable channels on roku (we have ATT TV), we got a message that we needed to unplug the TV and the modem for a couple minutes to reset everything. We didn't do it exactly the way it told us to do. We unplugged the roku, then turned the TV off and on, they plug it back in. No more problems!

Do you have roku ready TV or the stick? My wife recently had to spend a couple days in the hospital and I took my spare stick and plugged into the TV in her room and we enjoyed our usual shows.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
OP, I was having the same problem for a couple days. But when we tried watching our usual cable channels on roku (we have ATT TV), we got a message that we needed to unplug the TV and the modem for a couple minutes to reset everything. We didn't do it exactly the way it told us to do. We unplugged the roku, then turned the TV off and on, they plug it back in. No more problems!

Do you have roku ready TV or the stick? My wife recently had to spend a couple days in the hospital and I took my spare stick and plugged into the TV in her room and we enjoyed our usual shows.
I don’t have a Roku ready TV, it’s a Google TV. I also have regular issues with that TV so sometimes I need to unplug it and restart it again. Darn thing drops the internet constantly. It’s actually fine it does that because I’m not using the internal Wi-Fi to actually stream anything. It’s more that it keeps telling me over and over that it isn’t doing it and then sometimes that causes a problem and it needs rebooted. That’s pretty rare but I’ve done it a couple of times in the past few weeks. I should probably attempt to disable entirely the Wi-Fi so it’s now a dumb TV instead of a smart TV because not using is a smart TV.

I use the Roku box. It’s not really a box it’s this little gizmo that sits on top of the TV. So I wanted to let everybody know that I figured out a workaround. And it’s even better.

I can watch the Roku channel on my phone. On my phone I don’t get ads. And I can cast my phone to my television. Problem solved. My thinking is that it’s a Roku channel issue.

All I know is that Roku doesn’t seem interested that I’m having problems so it was time to find a workaround. And I found it. Now I don’t have to deal with ads, even better.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 07-11-2022, 07:51 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Might be time for a newer Roku.

Also download REELGOOD on your phone. It's an app that tells you what services have the show you want to watch.

Dick Van Dyke is available on:
Hoopla, 5 Seasons, Free
Tubi, 5 Seasons, free
Pluto TV, 1 season free
Peacock free version, 5 seasons, free
Freevee, 5 seasons, free and
Crackle, 5 seasons, free

Old 07-17-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Might be time for a newer Roku.

Also download REELGOOD on your phone. It's an app that tells you what services have the show you want to watch.

Dick Van Dyke is available on:
Hoopla, 5 Seasons, Free
Tubi, 5 Seasons, free
Pluto TV, 1 season free
Peacock free version, 5 seasons, free
Freevee, 5 seasons, free and
Crackle, 5 seasons, free
I finished the show, and I’m just gonna leave the Roku channel alone for a while. Here’s the thing, it’s not the Roku device. The Roku device works perfectly fine, it is only a couple of years old. I make sure it’s up-to-date on a regular basis. The issue is the Roku channel. And they don’t wanna hear about it. So if they don’t wanna hear about it it’s never going to get fixed.

Kingman when I was in California I got that message frequently. It has not happened here in Pennsylvania.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:16 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
I'm not sure if you ever tried my suggestions (noted previously, but not commented on), but the reason I mentioned them is to see if the channel/s in question are broadcasting their advertising in a different resolution than the shows you would be watching. I have seen strange things happen when everything doesn't sync correctly - this *could* happen when the ad starts and the equipment being used to watch it has an issue in switching formats correctly.
Thanks

Old 07-18-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm not sure if you ever tried my suggestions (noted previously, but not commented on), but the reason I mentioned them is to see if the channel/s in question are broadcasting their advertising in a different resolution than the shows you would be watching. I have seen strange things happen when everything doesn't sync correctly - this *could* happen when the ad starts and the equipment being used to watch it has an issue in switching formats correctly.
Thanks
Sorry about that. I couldn’t change the format. I couldn’t find where the format was… tv or Roku. Frankly, your suggestion actually sounded the most logical given that I was watching a show from the 60s. I’m not sure if they were remastered when they issued them in DVD. That was some thing that my late husband would’ve known.

It started happening at the beginning of the commercials — the screen would freeze at the cut. And if I let it run it would stop it and buffer. And buffer…. And stay stuck.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:03 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I don't have roku channel on my phone because I don't do all that on my phone. I'm one of the ones that are behind everybody else because I just talk, text and play a few games on my phone. I do have Discovery+, Disney+ and Frndly on my Samsung tablet. I have to go to the laundromat to do our laundry so I have plenty to watch on my tablet.
Roku just added Grit, Ion, and a couple other channels. I like Grit because I like some of the old B&W westerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics