Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 12:41 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

I recently started using a new TV with an old antenna which I've used before (the old school antenna that uses the coaxial cable).

I tried going directly to certain channels (like 7.1) and nothing happened. Then I scanned all the channels (I think it was called Auto Program) which took a minute. Then I could go to the channels.

Was it totally required to scan before using the antenna channels? Shouldn't you be able to go to one channel (like 7.1) without scanning?

Scanning is mostly so that you can press channel+ or -, without getting so many blank channels, is that right? It's also so you can see a list of all channels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 02:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
because a "channel" number may use different "frequency" depending on location. Unlike the old days when 2 was 2 and 10 was 10 and 36 was 36, todays they are mixed up and the TV sorts it out to align with the channels numbering system.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:12 PM

629 posts, read 409,182 times
For me, I have to scan anytime one of my local broadcasters makes a change to what they offer, (add a channel, etc) There could be exceptions, but I've never found one.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:55 AM

Are you saying 7.1 means one thing today but meant something else a few years ago in the same place?

When the TV scans, I guess it goes through all possible frequencies, but how does it know what number goes with which frequency?

Old 07-05-2022, 10:06 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Are you saying 7.1 means one thing today but meant something else a few years ago in the same place?
Yea. A few years ago there was no 7.1

Quote:
When the TV scans, I guess it goes through all possible frequencies, but how does it know what number goes with which frequency?
Because... it scans. It scans for 7.1. It finds 7.1. It makes 7.1 available to you. It has not idea what is on 7.1... only that something is broadcasting there.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We have two TVs in our travel trailer, and though we mostly stream, we have to scan again every time we turn one of them on in a new location. Channel 5 is NBC in Seattle, it's CBS in San Francisco, and Fox in New York. The same applies to all other stations. Your TV doesn't know which stations are available until it does the scan to find out what signals it can pick up.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:23 PM

What tips do you have about types of digital TV antennas?

They still make rabbit ears antennas, with a ring. But aren't the rectangular ones better?

One thing for sure is powered is better than non-powered.

Do some antennas have an output besides coaxial?

Old 07-05-2022, 02:18 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
First of all DIGITAL ANTENNA's are pure BS marketing. There is no such thing as a DIGITAL ANTENNA. You know the old roof top TV antenna? To this day there is nothing better for pulling in HD TV.

No you cannot say a sq antenna is better then rabbit ears.

All TV antennas still connect via Coax.

"Powered antennas" are marketing too. Don't fall for it. They amplify the signal ONCE YOU RECIEVE IT ...it will not get you more channels. Even that doesn't always translate to a better picture. Some times it's actually worse.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/more-co...yths-debunked/

The#1 thing you can do to get excellent antenna service is to get your antenna OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE.
I went from 6 channels... to 42... by putting an antenna outside.

My antenna: https://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Dire...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This website helps to determine if it is worth the effort:
https://www.tvfool.com/

Old 07-05-2022, 07:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:

From my understanding (a techy person explained it completely to me but it was too technical that I only recall a few bits) digital channels work within a range of assigned frequencies. The exact frequency a broadcaster is using in San Diego for channel X.1 may be a slightly different frequency in the assigned range a broadcaster in Dallas is using for their channel X.1., which could be different from what the Boston broadcaster is using in the channel's frequency range for X.1. The digital signal being broadcasted tells the TV set what channel number (X.1 or X.2 or X.3 etc.) to display. So although you scanned and have X.1 in San Diego it's not the same frequency for X.1 in the other location.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:25 AM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
Quote:
What tips do you have about types of digital TV antennas?

They still make rabbit ears antennas, with a ring. But aren't the rectangular ones better?

One thing for sure is powered is better than non-powered.
I use this style of antenna, which has been around for over 50 years:

https://www.channelmaster.com/collec...ntenna-cm-3018

Rectangle ones are fine too. Both are directional antennas, meaning they work best when pointed at the tower.

The key is selecting an antenna (with enough gain) and mounting location for your needs. Usually, the higher mounting locations work best as it will increase the gain, so in the attic or on the roof. Ideally, you won't need an amplifier, but they can be useful if you choose the correct one for your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics