Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 07:06 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Which is utterly out of the scope of the question here. OP wants to know if his family or friends can remotely listen. Again: no.
Right.
They don't have an access to it. Unless they are skilled hackers. A motivated hacker could record you through your smart TV. (assuming your smart tv has that feature).

Hackers can break into anything in your smart home. That's why you must secure your internet-connected devices — including your smart TV. If you've wondered, “Can someone see me through my smart TV?” the answer might be yes.
https://www.komando.com/privacy/smart-tv-hack/845769/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 09:31 AM

2,644 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Hi all.
Wondering if a family member can record and or listen through a smart TV? Like through google chrome or other Apps?
Thanks so much

I am not tech savvy, but I don't think that is possible with the TV with Chrome or Google and with a regular TV.

I do believe the cable Company and possibly law enforcement can see through what is being watched on TV and who is in the room with the smart TV. So don't have sex on the couch LOL. like a sort of seeing through a fish tank with all the fish in it but fading the fish a little and seeing the people on the other side of the tank. That's the best example I can think of. I believe they can and do this when there is a terroristic threat in the area. Most, not all, terrorists if indoors will watch what is being reported about them on the TV. I think it helps law enforcement to track them and get a full detailed description of them.

I think the same with cell phone cameras too.

I do think it is possible for the administrator of the family Alexa/Dot to be used to listen in on conversations. But I am not sure if Alexa makes a sound to alert the people in the room they are being listened in on.

A smart TV is useless to me if I can't change the background sounds and music sound. Also, useless if it doesn't have a mono or headphone ear plug. Roku does what I want, and I have to pay for Netflix either way same with Amazon Prime. Don't care for commercials so I rarely try and look up an old TV show from childhood. Now if I or you have disks to play on your computer or downloaded videos on your computer even pictures on your computer or disk you can make it show on your TV and see them larger on the TV instead of your computer.

I don't know but I always keep thinking if not now eventually we will have to pay for antivirus on the smart TV since the separate devices like Roku are built in and it streams right to the TV no the separate device first then through to the TV.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:49 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I am not tech savvy, but I don't think that is possible with the TV with Chrome or Google and with a regular TV.

I do believe the cable Company and possibly law enforcement can see through what is being watched on TV and who is in the room with the smart TV. So don't have sex on the couch LOL. like a sort of seeing through a fish tank with all the fish in it but fading the fish a little and seeing the people on the other side of the tank. That's the best example I can think of. I believe they can and do this when there is a terroristic threat in the area. Most, not all, terrorists if indoors will watch what is being reported about them on the TV. I think it helps law enforcement to track them and get a full detailed description of them.

I think the same with cell phone cameras too.

I do think it is possible for the administrator of the family Alexa/Dot to be used to listen in on conversations. But I am not sure if Alexa makes a sound to alert the people in the room they are being listened in on.

A smart TV is useless to me if I can't change the background sounds and music sound. Also, useless if it doesn't have a mono or headphone ear plug. Roku does what I want, and I have to pay for Netflix either way same with Amazon Prime. Don't care for commercials so I rarely try and look up an old TV show from childhood. Now if I or you have disks to play on your computer or downloaded videos on your computer even pictures on your computer or disk you can make it show on your TV and see them larger on the TV instead of your computer.

I don't know but I always keep thinking if not now eventually we will have to pay for antivirus on the smart TV since the separate devices like Roku are built in and it streams right to the TV no the separate device first then through to the TV.
Not really...

They can likely get logs from the cable company to see what programming was accessed (so in a sense, see what was being watched). But for them to activate the camera on a smart TV or device would essentially require them to hack their way in via malware/exploit.

As for antivirus - it's not exactly an effective tool anymore. Or no more than the built-in protections provided by the OS (essentially, not necessary - especially paying for one). What's crucial is keeping these platforms up to date. No anti-virus is going to protect you from a vulnerability inherent to the software installed on your device... which goes back to point one.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 1,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Not really...

They can likely get logs from the cable company to see what programming was accessed (so in a sense, see what was being watched). But for them to activate the camera on a smart TV or device would essentially require them to hack their way in via malware/exploit.

As for antivirus - it's not exactly an effective tool anymore. Or no more than the built-in protections provided by the OS (essentially, not necessary - especially paying for one). What's crucial is keeping these platforms up to date. No anti-virus is going to protect you from a vulnerability inherent to the software installed on your device... which goes back to point one.
Which I would guess is very easy for them to do. If something is connected to the internet, consider it accessible by expert hackers.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Which I would guess is very easy for them to do. If something is connected to the internet, consider it accessible by expert hackers.
Do they have the funds and expertise? perhaps.
Is it worth it ...? for what gains?

It's not like if they want to, some guy will just "tap tap tap" on some keyboard and you're in. This isn't TV or the movies.

If there was a legit reason - there are far easier/more direct ways to conduct that surveillance.

Sometimes, people get caught up with the "new" stuff and forget that some of the "old fashioned" ways to doing things still work and can be easier...

Old 09-26-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Do they have the funds and expertise? perhaps.
Is it worth it ...? for what gains?

It's not like if they want to, some guy will just "tap tap tap" on some keyboard and you're in. This isn't TV or the movies.

If there was a legit reason - there are far easier/more direct ways to conduct that surveillance.

Sometimes, people get caught up with the "new" stuff and forget that some of the "old fashioned" ways to doing things still work and can be easier...
I think Verizon does.

I still think it will be possible. I'm thinking of Tsarnaev who hid in the boat. What if he had his cellphone with him and they traced it to the same location. If he were inside a home holding someone hostage they could eventually have the technology to wait and see if he turns on the TV and see him inside the home. I know it's most likely not available yet but I still have this thought that the possible for the cable company to see inside. I do agree they can see and track what shows we watch that I know from SD card in the back of the cable box. I assume that is what that is for.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:31 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
I do believe the cable Company and possibly law enforcement can see through what is being watched on TV and who is in the room with the smart TV.
99% of Smart TV's do not have cameras. Not even remotely possible.

Quote:
I believe they can and do this when there is a terroristic threat in the area.
But there's still no camera in the TV...

Quote:
Most, not all, terrorists if indoors will watch what is being reported about them on the TV.
You make a lot of assumptions.

Quote:
A smart TV is useless to me if I can't change the background sounds and music sound.
Music... sound?
The Roku devices let you change the background and.... music sound. I don't know why this suddenly makes it useful to you.

Quote:
Also, useless if it doesn't have a mono or headphone ear plug.
Why mono?

Quote:
Don't care for commercials so I rarely try and look up an old TV show from childhood.
So you deprive yourself of something you love... over commercials....

Quote:
Yea, I doubt that.

Quote:
I am not tech savvy
At least you admit it.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:52 AM

6,012 posts, read 2,836,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Hi all.
Wondering if a family member can record and or listen through a smart TV? Like through google chrome or other Apps?
Thanks so much
No, family and friends cannot spy on you through a smart tv.

However, smart tv's with Google software, Roku software, and Amazon software are spying on you through the collection of multitudes of data. I liked it better when I was blissfully unaware of this...

Old 09-29-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I think Verizon does.

I still think it will be possible. I'm thinking of Tsarnaev who hid in the boat. What if he had his cellphone with him and they traced it to the same location. If he were inside a home holding someone hostage they could eventually have the technology to wait and see if he turns on the TV and see him inside the home. I know it's most likely not available yet but I still have this thought that the possible for the cable company to see inside. I do agree they can see and track what shows we watch that I know from SD card in the back of the cable box. I assume that is what that is for.
Verizon does what? Have the funds? Perhaps, but they're in the business to make money - not waste money. How is something like this, even if possible, be useful for Verizon????

The original question was about whether family/friends can spy on you.
There is a HUGE spectrum between what is "possible" vs. what is "practical".

Can a smart TV w/ a camera be used to spy on someone. Yes - it's technically "Possible". But is it something that can be done by just pressing a button? absolutely not.

Back in the day - tapping a phone was not at all hard. However, people didn't exactly worry about their conversations being eavesdropped on a daily basis.

Same principal. Except hacking that smart tv takes a LOT more effort than tapping a phone.

What you see on TV is rarely possible/practical in real life.

In your scenario - what would be gained to have that camera on? You'd only see what's in front of the camera. Sure, it's better than nothing... but the effort to get that camera on isn't exactly trivial (outside of pure luck).

Old 09-30-2022, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
99% of Smart TV's do not have cameras. Not even remotely possible.

But there's still no camera in the TV...

You make a lot of assumptions.

Music... sound?
The Roku devices let you change the background and.... music sound. I don't know why this suddenly makes it useful to you.

Why mono?

Mono plugs are the one ear plug those plugs into the TV it drowns out most sound because it is mono sound not dolby or stereo sound. They were common in the old days when someone wanted to watch the TV at night and not wake up everybody who was sleeping.

At least you admit it.
No my Roku device has no option to do that and I have new updated one. It isn't suddenly useful it has ways been a problem with TV having to loud music background. I have hated that for years but recently it has become more annoying.

Google has this:

Like computers, smart TVs run on software, but they don't have the same strong antivirus and firewall systems installed. Once the TV gets infected, all the browsing history, passwords, and other private data become accessible to hackers.Sep 22, 2022

Your smart TV can be hacked! Here's how to protect it from ...

and this below:

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/how-...320500723.html

and this also:

Where are the cameras and microphones of Smart TVs hidden? Modern Smart TVs now actually have cameras and microphones installed. Smart TV cameras and microphones are often placed at the edges above the screen of your TV. These two features are often placed nearby, as they are often paired together in video calls.

Where Are Mics & Cameras On Smart TVs? (We Found Them)

Last edited by staystill; 09-30-2022 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: I can see why the OP is concerned. It's alexa admin who can listen in on conversations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics