Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 12:55 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,523,226 times

Advertisements

I have a Windows 10 laptop and a Sony smarttv. When you use screen mirroring, it temporarily disables the wifi router. The attached photo is what you see when you select Input > Screen Mirroring.

Why does the screen mirroring turn off the wifi router? That means I can 't do a Zoom or use the internet while screen mirroring. I know it does this because I just tried it.

Screen mirroring uses wifi direct, not the wifi router. So I don't know why it does that.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen mirroring, Windows laptop, router-mirroring.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 01:19 PM

I got this to work a few weeks ago, but now it says "couldn't connect" when I try to screen mirror.

The TV is the only device that shows on the computer (in the list of devices you can mirror to).

The computer is still registered in the TV's list of devices.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:12 PM

15,406 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have a Windows 10 laptop and a Sony smarttv. When you use screen mirroring, it temporarily disables the wifi router. The attached photo is what you see when you select Input > Screen Mirroring.

Why does the screen mirroring turn off the wifi router? That means I can 't do a Zoom or use the internet while screen mirroring. I know it does this because I just tried it.

Screen mirroring uses wifi direct, not the wifi router. So I don't know why it does that.
Like the TV says, when you are screen mirroring, the TV will not connect to the internet.

If the PC won't connect to wifi, it may be a driver issue on your network card. You can try connecting the PC to the router with an ethernet cable, or connect to the TV with an HDMI cable.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Like the TV says, when you are screen mirroring, the TV will not connect to the internet.

If the PC won't connect to wifi, it may be a driver issue on your network card. You can try connecting the PC to the router with an ethernet cable, or connect to the TV with an HDMI cable.
The PC doesn't connect to Screen Mirroring on the TV. It does connect to the wifi router.

Screen Mirroring uses only Wifi Direct and not the wifi router.

The last time I tried, the lights on the router went OFF when I tried to use screen mirroring. Maybe the router just had a glitch and it wasn't because of what I was doing.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:40 PM

15,406 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
The PC doesn't connect to Screen Mirroring on the TV. It does connect to the wifi router.

Screen Mirroring uses only Wifi Direct and not the wifi router.

The last time I tried, the lights on the router went OFF when I tried to use screen mirroring. Maybe the router just had a glitch and it wasn't because of what I was doing.
If you connect to the TV via wifi, you cannot connect to the router via wifi from your PC without having a second wifi network adapter in the PC.

Can you connect to the TV with a cable, and use it like an additional monitor?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:41 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
To explain further, wifi and wifi direct use the same antenna. It can't connect to 2 things at once.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:58 PM

If you are screen mirroring, should other people be able to use the wifi router for other devices?

I understand the computer can't connect to the router and the (wifi direct) TV at the same time.
And the TV can't connect to the computer and the router at the same time, correct?

Yes I know I can connect using an HDMI cable.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:33 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Yes. There is no possible way your device can ... power off the router. Or make it stop broadcasting wifi. I believe you were correct when you said maybe it had a glitch.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:17 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
If you are screen mirroring, should other people be able to use the wifi router for other devices?

I understand the computer can't connect to the router and the (wifi direct) TV at the same time.
And the TV can't connect to the computer and the router at the same time, correct?

Yes I know I can connect using an HDMI cable.
Yes - if you're just connected to the screen via wifi direct, you've essentially disconnected from your main wifi network and connected to the wifi direct network. Your main wifi network should not be affected at all.

Old 08-30-2022, 11:44 AM

Doesn't this mean that if you're screen mirroring, you can't be on the internet with the laptop? Most people do everything on the internet. You can only show people your vacation photos or play certain games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics