Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 02:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times

Advertisements

Ok, I hope somebody can help me. I have a question regarding my treadmill that is giving me problems. I just bought it, its brand new. I had an licensed electrician come out and installing a 20 amp outlet dedicated for the treadmill alone. The treadmill requires 15 amp.
The second time I turned on the machine it wouldn't start. The screen was flickering, speakers making popping noise but the screen remained black. I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in. I reset breaker on treadmill, I reset breaker on the wall outlet. Noting. I let it be for a couple of days. It was the weekend and I couldn't call the warranty department.

Before I called the company I went down to my basement to turn treadmill on again..just in case it would turn on this time. It did. Then it worked great for a couple of days. Then..again..it wouldn't turn on and made the noises, flickering screen etc as before.

The company sent out a new upper console to me because according to my description they determined it was something wrong with it. A tech came out to install the console and the first day it worked good. Then, AGAIN..the same problem yet again. I didn't turn it on for several days.

I bought the treadmill from DICKS sporting goods. It's a Sole f85. I have warranty thru Sole. I asked them if they can just send me a new treadmill but according to them they have to try to fix it before they replace it. Well, It's brand new and it shouldn't have to be fixed. So I called Dicks who I purchased it from and they will exchange it for me since Im still within the 90 days.

ANYHOW..today, just for the hell of it I wandered down to the basement and decided to turn the machine on . There is power because the red light is on around the power button and you can hear it, but screen is black. So, I folded it up, moved it a little, unfolded it and unplugged it from the wall again,, reset wall breaker, plugged it back in and the treadmill turned on like it should.

I will still exchange it because I don't trust it will stay working. But my question for you is

Do you think it could be the wall outlet?
The treadmill motor?
Some pinched wires?

WHy is it working sometimes and then sometimes not.

It's so frustrating.

Please help and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 03:26 PM

674 posts, read 608,131 times
Intermittent problems are usually very hard to pin down. Back in my engineering days, we had a "golden unit" to use as a test bed. When we had intermittent problems with another unit, we would start taking out its components one by one, and plug those components one at a time into the golden unit. Sooner or later we'd find the culprit. We could do it because 1) the entire unit was fairly compact (about the size of a big printer) and 2) its components are easy to install - pretty much plug-and-play. A treadmill is an entirely different beast. You would need the wiring schematics + a voltmeter + some troubleshooting skills to find the problem.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:28 PM

Can I get a volt meter just to check if the outlet is working properly?

Old 10-14-2022, 04:41 PM

674 posts, read 608,131 times
You can, but it'd be easier to plug a fan or a lamp into the outlet to see if it works properly. Or you can buy an "receptacle tester" at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's inexpensive and plugs directly into the outlet.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
You can, but it'd be easier to plug a fan or a lamp into the outlet to see if it works properly. Or you can buy an "receptacle tester" at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's inexpensive and plugs directly into the outlet.
Thank you.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:49 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Intermittent electrical problems are usually a loose/bad ground, but it could be any part of the circuitry.

Because a new console didn't solve it, it must be something between the console and the wiring farther up stream.....First just move it or use an extension cord to plug it into a different circuit to test the house wiring/socket. If that doesn't solve it, then it's still something in the machine.....Does the plug fit snuggly into the socket, or is it a little loose?

Old 10-15-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Intermittent electrical problems are usually a loose/bad ground, but it could be any part of the circuitry.

Because a new console didn't solve it, it must be something between the console and the wiring farther up stream.....First just move it or use an extension cord to plug it into a different circuit to test the house wiring/socket. If that doesn't solve it, then it's still something in the machine.....Does the plug fit snuggly into the socket, or is it a little loose?
I'll check with extension cord later today.
And yes, it fits snuggly..

Old 10-17-2022, 07:32 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
I have a Nordic Track S22i bike... and I just plugged it into the wall. And I have a no name treadmill...plugged into a standard outlet.
Your treadmill requires a 15 amp outlet. As do most things. This is the standard in most homes in the US.
Why did you screw around upgrading the outlet? I think that's more likely your problem. When something says "requires 15 amp", making it 20 does nothing. Let me say that again: absolutely nothing.
I don't understand why you spent money on that?

Old 10-19-2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have a Nordic Track S22i bike... and I just plugged it into the wall. And I have a no name treadmill...plugged into a standard outlet.
Your treadmill requires a 15 amp outlet. As do most things. This is the standard in most homes in the US.
Why did you screw around upgrading the outlet? I think that's more likely your problem. When something says "requires 15 amp", making it 20 does nothing. Let me say that again: absolutely nothing.
I don't understand why you spent money on that?
I have a brand new house and the Sole recommended a 15 to 20 amp outlet. I had an electrician put one in for me at the location I wanted the treadmill. I never had an outlet at that wall to begin with. I picked a 20 amp just in case I wanted a fan or something else plugged into the same outlet.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:38 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,660,480 times
The chance is low that it's the wiring in the wall, as that was installed by an electrician. Not zero chance, but low. I'd bet on it being an intermittent fault in the mill itself. However, you should be able to call back the electrician to troubleshoot and rule out his work as being the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics