Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 09:27 AM
exm

3,737 posts, read 1,796,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
That should trigger a comment or two in a thread with "audiophile" in the title.

Only if it has Monster cables!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 09:32 AM

1,118 posts, read 663,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you like full sound, a subwoofer is the way to go.
Tastes vary widely, so it depends on what the listener considers full sound. My Google Nest Audio has a 3" inch woofer. It doesn't play loud but it measures flat enough down to 55 Hz. NEVER would have thought that was possible until I bought it and measured it with my calibrated mic. By comparison my JBL L100 speakers with 12" woofers (which were popular in recording studios) go down to about 50 Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Only if it has Monster cables!
Right! A true audiophile needs cables that are at least in this class:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B5PUVNNI&psc=1

Last edited by akrausz; 04-30-2024 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-30-2024, 01:34 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,958,582 times
Everyone -

I've purchased the Marantz CD6007 CD player from Crutchfield. I was leaning towards pairing it with the PSB Alpha iQ powered speakers, but an issue arose. Since I no longer have a smart phone (by choice), I won't be able to set up the system. It's kind of stupid I can't use my laptop to complete this task.

Alternatives recommended by the Crutchfield Advisor include Kanto TUK and Klipsch The Sevens speakers. Having never heard of Kanto, I leaned towards the latter. The deal breaker was the 18-inch height. Since the speakers won't be hidden, I'd like to limit the height to more than 10 inches. I'll probably buy the Klipsch.

I wish I had never tossed my father's Mid-Century Modern stereo console. I could've had it retrofitted to accomodate a modern stereo system, including taller speakers.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:12 PM

381 posts, read 152,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Everyone -

I've purchased the Marantz CD6007 CD player from Crutchfield. I was leaning towards pairing it with the PSB Alpha iQ powered speakers, but an issue arose. Since I no longer have a smart phone (by choice), I won't be able to set up the system. It's kind of stupid I can't use my laptop to complete this task.

Alternatives recommended by the Crutchfield Advisor include Kanto TUK and Klipsch The Sevens speakers. Having never heard of Kanto, I leaned towards the latter. The deal breaker was the 18-inch height. Since the speakers won't be hidden, I'd like to limit the height to more than 10 inches. I'll probably buy the Klipsch.

I wish I had never tossed my father's Mid-Century Modern stereo console. I could've had it retrofitted to accomodate a modern stereo system, including taller speakers.
I've been toying with a use/refurbed pair of Klipsch The Fives for a small room I have. From everything I've read and seen, The Sevens and The Nines are pretty awesome - like the Fives but better. Powered speakers with a lot of input options, plus Klipsch sound and technology such as HDMI arc for your TV (if that's something you'd use it for).

Old 04-30-2024, 02:40 PM

Or get a speaker that fits, and with the money left over get a Chromebook or tablet that will run Android apps for any setup needed.

Last edited by akrausz; 04-30-2024 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
I've been toying with a use/refurbed pair of Klipsch The Fives for a small room I have. From everything I've read and seen, The Sevens and The Nines are pretty awesome - like the Fives but better. Powered speakers with a lot of input options, plus Klipsch sound and technology such as HDMI arc for your TV (if that's something you'd use it for).
Make sure you buy from a reputable source. I've been approached so many times outside of Best Buy by young men trying to sell me "quality" speakers from the back of their van.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Or get a speaker that fits, and with the money left over get a Chromebook or tablet that will run Android apps for any setup needed.
It appears electronics these days require apps for setup. I discovered that last month when I purchased Bose headphones. Whatever happend to plug and play?

In any case, I was planning to use the money I save (from not purchasing a receiver/amplifier) to buy OTC hearing aids for my mom. But Sony told me that I'll need a smart phone to setup the hearing aid.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:26 AM

Quote:
It appears electronics these days require apps for setup. I discovered that last month when I purchased Bose headphones. Whatever happened to plug and play?

In any case, I was planning to use the money I save (from not purchasing a receiver/amplifier)...
Plug and play is alive and well. You're just looking at the wrong headphones and speakers. The PSB is not plug and play because it has an uncommon feature where no wire is required to the second speaker. In fact, most do not require an app, like these:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_772A5P....html?tp=72535

Any notion that you are saving money over $1300 Klipsch powered speakers by not buying a separate amplifier is highly subjective at best. You can have a nice system for half of that (no app, plug and play) with a small inexpensive amp like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S1F23IH5&psc=1

Then you will have a much greater selection of bookshelf speakers to choose from that meet your size requirements.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:41 AM

^Oops! I linked the wrong amp. This is what I meant to link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XZ3ZXOW8&psc=1

There are models with a remote as well.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:36 PM

10,945 posts, read 4,634,055 times
Quote:
Make sure you buy from a reputable source. I've been approached so many times outside of Best Buy by young men trying to sell me "quality" speakers from the back of their van.

"white vans"!

ran across a set from time to time.

they dont always suck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics