Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 05:28 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
Any chance you can copy and paste the article for those of us that don't have the H-C?
Quoting entire articles is a copyright violation, but here's a couple of snippets. As usual, the H-C didn't do much investigative journalism.

A new large commercial development may be coming to South Willow Avenue after the Cookeville Planning Commission Monday recommended the rezoning of about 48 acres.

The property, which previously housed Norwalk Furniture Corporation, borders Interstate 40 to the north, South Willow Avenue to the west, and Green Gate Lane to the south.

"The current zone has a limitation on the size of the structure," Cookeville Planning Department Director Jon Ward said. "This application was submitted to exceed the 120,000 square feet."

The property owner is listed as Broad Street Properties of West Stevens Street.

and

The application for rezoning from local commercial to regional commercial doesn't indicate any specific business.

Businesses permitted in the regional commercial district include retail, shopping malls, department stores, office buildings, restaurants, banks, hotels, motels, funeral homes, climate-controlled storage, general professional offices for doctors, dentists, lawyers, architects, artists, engineers, wholesalers, nightclubs, microbreweries, churches, schools, public parks, theaters, adult day care and assisted living.

On the property owner's application to the city's planning commission for rezoning, under "reason for requesting rezoning" they wrote "Commercial development compliant with the Regional Commercial Zone." It would be nice if the H-C contacted the property owner to see just what they have in mind. But I think it's safe to assume that they're talking about a large shopping center and not storage units or an assisted living center. It would be a colossal waste to rezone 48 prime acres just for storage units.

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/n...at-i-40,57683?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 08:06 PM

So I've heard more news that just might indicate that Target is coming to town. A good friend of mine who's one of the area's more prominent realtors told me that their office sold a very expensive home in Cookeville to a Target real estate executive who has moved here with his family. My friend said they couldn't tell me more about it, of course. But it does sound promising.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-30-2022 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-13-2022, 12:42 PM

While listening to the city council candidates last night, a couple of them referenced a future, large retail project at the Norwalk site. Mark Miller specifically wants the city to build a new road connecting the "future retail development at Green Gate Lane" with Sam's Club, kind of another Interstate Drive but south of I-40. I think the other candidate was Laurin Wheaton. Maybe it was Eric Walker, I can't remember, but it was someone who's on the current city council and who, I assume, would have inside information. Anyway, this continues to bode well for something. I hope we'll know something soon. With the county's retail sales hitting new records (and the growth has been about double the rate of inflation) there is clearly the demand for more retail around here.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-13-2022 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 09:25 AM

730 posts, read 813,780 times
Target is coming. Don't ask me how I know. It might not be this calendar year, but it is coming.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:10 AM

303 posts, read 294,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Target is coming. Don't ask me how I know. It might not be this calendar year, but it is coming.

I've heard this from a couple different people as well.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I've heard this from a couple different people as well.
I'd made a post which I then asked to be deleted because I think I revealed too much info. But yes, I'm 99.99% sure we can count on Target coming to Cookeville and to this particular location. There's always a chance that something happens so that it doesn't turn out, but from what I've heard, and from multiple sources, this is a done deal although they don't expect construction to begin until sometime in 2023.

Old 07-19-2022, 10:18 AM

303 posts, read 294,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
I'd made a post which I then asked to be deleted because I think I revealed too much info. But yes, I'm 99.99% sure we can count on Target coming to Cookeville and to this particular location. There's always a chance that something happens so that it doesn't turn out, but from what I've heard, and from multiple sources, this is a done deal although they don't expect construction to begin until sometime in 2023.

Hopefully they don't wait too much longer to announce. The hype will be insane.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Hopefully they don't wait too much longer to announce. The hype will be insane.
Yes indeed. The throngs of people camped out and lined up for Publix and other recent grand openings will pale in comparison to Target.

In this interview with city council member Mark Miller, at the 20:00 mark he starts talking about "the biggest development that everybody is going to love" south of I-40, ie this one at the old Norwalk site. I think it's safe to say that there will be a lot more than Target there. I hope we're not jinxing the project by talking about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRiRI5C504

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-28-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 06:45 PM

In what I guess could be called a farewell post, Mayor Shelton hinted on his Facebook page that there is much more retail and commercial development on the way for Cookeville after his tenure ends this week, and "they will provide the most requested and much needed options to our community and the entire region." He then posted this picture of what looks like a large development at the Norwalk site with I-40 in the background and Willow Ave in the foreground. Obviously there are no specific retailers listed, but I think it's safe to assume that "the most requested" retailers would be Target and Home Depot. It looks like the development will also have some additional big box retailers, some restaurants and lots of apartments or commercial buildings. And in his radio interview tonight at 94.1, he said there is a massive retail development coming to Willow Ave and I-40. Sure looks promising.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 08-16-2022 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
In what I guess could be called a farewell post, Mayor Shelton hinted on his Facebook page that there is much more retail and commercial development on the way for Cookeville after his tenure ends this week, and "they will provide the most requested and much needed options to our community and the entire region." He then posted this picture of what looks like a large development at the Norwalk site with I-40 in the background and Willow Ave in the foreground. Obviously there are no specific retailers listed, but I think it's safe to assume that "the most requested" retailers would be Target and Home Depot. It looks like the development will also have some additional big box retailers, some restaurants and lots of apartments or commercial buildings. And in his radio interview tonight at 94.1, he said there is a massive retail development coming to Willow Ave and I-40. Sure looks promising.
Not to be a debbie downer, but I don't know if that rendering is the Norwalk site. The amount of frontage along Willow sure looks a lot more than the Norwalk site. But then again a lot of renderings exaggerate certain elements, and the finished product almost never looks like the initial renderings so maybe it is.

Someone else "in the know" told me that Costco was also snooping around town. I don't know if that was legitimate or just wishful thinking. I seriously cannot see Costco coexisting here with Sam's Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville