Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 04:36 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,656,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindb29 View Post
I wish they would get their expansion done in Algood and then expand across 111. I'd love to have 1 gig. At that price, it's cheaper than Spectrum.
Yeah, I saw that this month Spectrum nailed me with yet another price increase of over $21. That makes $35 more per month in just the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 03:55 AM

666 posts, read 762,298 times
I'm good with 1G. After upgrading my home for 1G with Cat6, new router, switches and much back pain I don't plan on any more expensive upgrades for faster speeds I really don't need.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:30 AM

303 posts, read 294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yeah, I saw that this month Spectrum nailed me with yet another price increase of over $21. That makes $35 more per month in just the last year.

I haven't seen any price increases on my bill, yet anyway, but they sure don't offer any loyalty discounts when you ask.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:23 AM

529 posts, read 490,460 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any price increases on my bill, yet anyway, but they sure don't offer any loyalty discounts when you ask.

They will, but they just lump it as a promotion. You have to really work for it though, they can do it, but it seems they have to say they can't 5 or 6 times, and talk to two supervisors before they will.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:26 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Twin Lakes and Spectrum have both received grants to extend high speed internet to the rest of Putnam County not already covered by fiber optics. This means many parts of the county, particularly in the Cookeville area, will have two options for high speed internet. I don't think Spectrum offers 10 gig but it does have 1 gig.

County mayor Randy Porter said:

"It's amazing that some of the most rural parts of the county have great service," he said. "It all has to do with (how) the telephone system was divided up. Twin Lakes had part of the county and Frontier had part of the county. Twin Lakes has already run fiber to all of their areas in the county, but the other (company) didn't."

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/g...-service,62301

It is amazing to me that the most remote parts of the county in the western half have 10 gig internet, the fastest available in the world. I know a lot of people have moved to my neck of the woods because of the 10 gig internet accessibility. Those in the eastern part of the county who have been stuck with Frontier's DSL 1.5 megabit download speed will be ecstatic with having fiber optics 1000 megabits per second download speed instead of 1.5 magabits.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Twin Lakes and Spectrum have both received grants to extend high speed internet to the rest of Putnam County not already covered by fiber optics. This means many parts of the county, particularly in the Cookeville area, will have two options for high speed internet. I don't think Spectrum offers 10 gig but it does have 1 gig.

County mayor Randy Porter said:

"It's amazing that some of the most rural parts of the county have great service," he said. "It all has to do with (how) the telephone system was divided up. Twin Lakes had part of the county and Frontier had part of the county. Twin Lakes has already run fiber to all of their areas in the county, but the other (company) didn't."

https://herald-citizen.com/stories/g...-service,62301

It is amazing to me that the most remote parts of the county in the western half have 10 gig internet, the fastest available in the world. I know a lot of people have moved to my neck of the woods because of the 10 gig internet accessibility. Those in the eastern part of the county who have been stuck with Frontier's DSL 1.5 megabit download speed will be ecstatic with having fiber optics 1000 megabits per second download speed instead of 1.5 magabits.

Now if Twin Lakes will get on it and get it done. Last I talked to somebody, they didn't have any plans to extend service to the other side of 111 even though we are in Algood city limits.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:30 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Now if Twin Lakes will get on it and get it done. Last I talked to somebody, they didn't have any plans to extend service to the other side of 111 even though we are in Algood city limits.
It would be nice if we knew just exactly where Twin Lakes was going to expand to. Spectrum's 1 gig service is good, but the 10 gig with Twin Lakes is phenomenal. Twin Lakes is going to use that money to add 195 miles of fiber optics around the county. I guess part of the deal with this grant is that they have to expand into areas that don't already have fiber optics. Does Spectrum already provide 1 gig in Algood? I'm sure you're not the only one who would like to have Twin Lakes in town.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-14-2022, 03:06 AM

666 posts, read 762,298 times
Spectrum ran their fiber down our street a few months ago and then went door to door to get new customers for their services. The sales pitch sounded great to get a better price on a package deal (1G, TV programming and cell phone) until I started asking questions. The offer included a 1 year reduced price that didn't even beat what I currently pay and after 1 year the price becomes much more expensive.

I'll keep my 1G TL service with Hulu Live TV and my Tracfone burner, still the best price around.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It would be nice if we knew just exactly where Twin Lakes was going to expand to. Spectrum's 1 gig service is good, but the 10 gig with Twin Lakes is phenomenal. Twin Lakes is going to use that money to add 195 miles of fiber optics around the county. I guess part of the deal with this grant is that they have to expand into areas that don't already have fiber optics. Does Spectrum already provide 1 gig in Algood? I'm sure you're not the only one who would like to have Twin Lakes in town.

No idea on Spectrum. I've not had any problems with the 300mb that Spectrum offers, even though my usual download speeds are nowhere near 300 mb. But TL was working on fiber in Algood on the south side of 111. At the time, they hadn't planned on expanding to the north so who knows. I would just like to have another option available.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:24 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
According to 94.1, Twin Lakes hopes to have this finished within 30 months. I'm sure the 2400 residences that don't currently have access to high speed internet are in fairly remote areas. Still, I'm reading between the lines that TL is expanding this to areas that don't already have access to high speed internet. I think TL is simultaneously expanding its fiber optics lines around Cookeville, so some areas will (and do) have two providers to choose from, Spectrum and Twin Lakes. I'd still like to think that TL will eventually expand into further into Algood.

https://newstalk941.com/twin-lakes-a...-in-30-months/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville