Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 33,433 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Cookeville, TN area and have heard that Putnam County and Cookeville are dry. How dry is that area, completely, beer only, or can I buy outside the town/county and bring it home to have a glass of wine? I'm from Mississippi, and know how much alcohol laws can vary within a state, as well as by county and city.

If it's completely dry, could someone tell me the nearest town and county to Cookeville that isn't? It may sound silly to some, but I want to respect the laws of where I'll live and want to relocate to somewhere I can have a glass of wine without breaking the law. I'm getting ready to search for an apartment, and want to do this almost 600 mile relocation right from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 07:50 AM

176 posts, read 799,758 times
Default Cookeville is a city in Putnam County

where I live. You may buy beer in a store in cans or bottles or in a restaurant by the drink. You may also buy mixed (hard liquor) drinks or wine in a restaurant. Neither wine nor hard liquor is available in stores, however. The nearest stores in counties that permit hard liquor and wine to be sold by the bottle are about 15 or so miles away.

Every so often I have to go to Nashville so I buy any wine/liquor that I need there.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating? View Post
I will be relocating to the Cookeville, TN area and have heard that Putnam County and Cookeville are dry. How dry is that area, completely, beer only, or can I buy outside the town/county and bring it home to have a glass of wine? I'm from Mississippi, and know how much alcohol laws can vary within a state, as well as by county and city.

If it's completely dry, could someone tell me the nearest town and county to Cookeville that isn't? It may sound silly to some, but I want to respect the laws of where I'll live and want to relocate to somewhere I can have a glass of wine without breaking the law. I'm getting ready to search for an apartment, and want to do this almost 600 mile relocation right from the get go.
Putnam County allows beer sales but not liquor sales. Jackson County, which is right next door, allows liquor sales. It's probably the only thing keeping the Jackson County economy from going belly up. (That was a joke.)

Cookeville allows liquor by the drink in restaurants. Some of the restaurants where you can get liquor by the drink: Applebee’s, Cheddar’s, Chili’s, Crawdaddy's, El Tapatio, Logan’s Roadhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse (under construction), O’Charley’s, Outback, Paula's, Puleo’s (under construction), Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Spankie's, Toot's. Restaurants that have announced they're coming to town and will also have liquor by the drink: Buffalo Wild Wings, Hooters, Olive Garden, TGI Friday's.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:33 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Default No still life?

Well, isn’t this just great! When I’m finally able to be out and about to observe the culture, which line of reasoning should I follow, a) that Putnam County is not a likely place, or b) that it probably IS a good place for still life studies in Tennessee?

A quandary.

Just what I need.

This is giving me a headache . . .

Where are those meds when I need ‘em . . .

Old 03-24-2007, 12:36 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
If the county is dry then there is a still.

You have a headache because you were up at 2 a.m. contemplating.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 33,433 times
Smile Thank you to everyone!

I really appreciate your help! Cookeville sounds similar to places I've lived here, beer only, with Blue Laws. Seems like the transition won't be as rough as it could be - this is good news! Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
I have been reading old post and came across this one. I have never lived in a place that had rules like these. So can someone explain it to me? I do not drink alcohol at all, but do use burgundy in cooking things like beef burgundy. Is it illegal to have it, or is it ok to have it, just one must buy it elsewhere? And what is the consequence--is it regulated at the consumer level, or consumption level --if one is caught with beef burgundy is it a fine or what happens?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM

869 posts, read 1,785,873 times
Old Thread, alcohol sales now legal in Cookeville.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM

209 posts, read 417,267 times
This is a really old thread- now, both Putnam County & Cookeville have liquor stores where you can buy wine & hard liquor. And if someone lives in a county that is dry, they can still go somewhere else and buy liquor to keep at home. We may have strange liquor laws, but the booze police don't go door to door and search our cabinets! Just kidding about booze police, we don't have those.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Ok, thanks for the update. Hate to think I'd become a smuggler just to cook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
View detailed profiles of: