Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 7,930 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been living in DFW area for 11 years. I'm originally from Wisconsin. My husband and I work from home so jobs aren't an issue. I own my home here in DFW and will be selling it. I have several questions. We visited Galveston once, but are now looking at Corpus area. I have 2 kids (school age). I'm a teacher...schools are important, but I currently homeschool them. I don't plan on doing that forever.

I am chronically ill, but my illness would be more manageable living near the ocean (per doctor and the research I've done). I stay in the house 95% of the time to avoid the terrible pollen and air quality that sets my disease off. I am stable at the moment, but I am tired of not "living". I am "young"/ late 30's. I absolutely LOVE the beach!

-I am looking for a place that has great air quality (Ocean circulates the air better) - I am not sure if I will find this in Texas.
-Good Schools
-Home prices around 300K
-Nice family community/ burbs
-Close to the ocean

Please let me know your experiences. I'm tired of suffering. I love Texas, but am okay with relocating out of state if I can't find a place here that will give me a better quality of living.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 01:46 AM

29 posts, read 21,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTXMove View Post
Hi all,
I have been living in DFW area for 11 years. I'm originally from Wisconsin. My husband and I work from home so jobs aren't an issue. I own my home here in DFW and will be selling it. I have several questions. We visited Galveston once, but are now looking at Corpus area. I have 2 kids (school age). I'm a teacher...schools are important, but I currently homeschool them. I don't plan on doing that forever.

I am chronically ill, but my illness would be more manageable living near the ocean (per doctor and the research I've done). I stay in the house 95% of the time to avoid the terrible pollen and air quality that sets my disease off. I am stable at the moment, but I am tired of not "living". I am "young"/ late 30's. I absolutely LOVE the beach!

-I am looking for a place that has great air quality (Ocean circulates the air better) - I am not sure if I will find this in Texas.
-Good Schools
-Home prices around 300K
-Nice family community/ burbs
-Close to the ocean

Please let me know your experiences. I'm tired of suffering. I love Texas, but am okay with relocating out of state if I can't find a place here that will give me a better quality of living.
Thank you.
South Side of Corpus Christi in the Veterans Memorial attendance zone of CCISD.

Calallen ISD in the area of Northwest Corpus Christi

Gregory-Portland ISD on the other side of the bay

Tuloso-Midway ISD down the street from the Calallen area.

South Side of CC and Gregory-Portland would be you best options in regards to beach/ocean access.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:50 AM

61,719 posts, read 87,123,005 times
You can check the air quality on a daily basis here:
https://aqicn.org/city/texas/corpus-...onal-seashore/

Here is the ocean water quality check:
https://cgis.glo.texas.gov/Beachwatch/

Real Estate website:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-180000-350000
You will find school info on one of the listing folders.

Last edited by elnina; 03-26-2021 at 02:01 AM..

Old 03-26-2021, 11:02 AM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
Due to a fence line community air quality lawsuit over 30 years ago Corpus Christi has had a court mandated hyper advanced air quality testing network(lots of monitoring stations) for several decades. As a result we are the largest city in the U.S. still in air attainment status. There has been an air quality monitoring working group made up of the plants and scientists that consistently work on lowering emissions and supporting emissions lowering projects. So they support plant upgrades and projects like switching the bus system to natural gas to keep us in air attainment. For example our relatively few Ozone action days are in the Winter when the wind shifts and Houston and Austin air blows down here. It ain't anything like Dallas.

We do get some Central Texas cedar pollen at some times of year but it's much lighter than other areas. As the Southern tip of the Great Plains we are not naturally forested.

For air quality, beach access, and schools I'd lean towards Ocean Drive corridor, Flour Bluff, and North Padre Island. Your price range will get you into a low 2000 sq.ft. 3-4 bedroom in a nice neighborhood near expensive housing in those areas. Basically here pricing works from being expensive right on the water to falling back 100-200k per block you are off of it. So generally 3-4 blocks off the water is your price range. That'll give you good afternoon wind off the water.

Flour Bluff ISD for Flour Bluff and the Island is very good, and Padre Island has a good lottery based charter. CCISD is overall pretty good if you are in a good neighborhood. By far the best education you can get in the area is the CCISD IB program run at Windsor Park Elementary, Baker Middle School, and Ray High School. Your kids do need to test into it though.

Southside CCISD schools are good and there is vast housing in your price range my only concern on that front is it's distance from the water and heavier road traffic with more particulates for your health. It's not Dallas highway level or anything but much heavier than the places in town I mentioned. Calallen is pretty far from the water and Gregory-Portland has a fair amount of industrial growth. Both of them have outstanding schools though. Port Aransas is a good option as well but your price range puts you in condo/townhouse range there. If playing outside is walking to the beach for your kids that could work though.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 7,930 times
Thank you so much!!! This is very good information. Thank you jackalope for the insight on the different areas. I will be visiting next month, so I will check out the areas you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi