Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,641 times

Advertisements

"Sadly, the old Donut Hole, on Ayers, has closed. I got their carne guisada recipe from a girl whose mother worked there in the 80's. And Btw, didn't hear anyone mention "Jack's Dinner Bell" at Parkdell Plaza."

Rust Never Sleeps[/quote]

Hi! I grew up near Donut Hole and was so sad when they closed. No other taco shop ever came close to them, in my opinion. I LOVED their carne guisada (well, anything from there really)!! I would love their recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing and any if you have any tips on how to make tortillas like theirs. Thank you so much!

Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 AM

51 posts, read 66,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesa View Post
"Sadly, the old Donut Hole, on Ayers, has closed. I got their carne guisada recipe from a girl whose mother worked there in the 80's. And Btw, didn't hear anyone mention "Jack's Dinner Bell" at Parkdell Plaza."

Rust Never Sleeps
Hi! I grew up near Donut Hole and was so sad when they closed. No other taco shop ever came close to them, in my opinion. I LOVED their carne guisada (well, anything from there really)!! I would love their recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing and any if you have any tips on how to make tortillas like theirs. Thank you so much!

Ann[/quote]

As would I...

Old 02-13-2022, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 7,602 times
Water park off SPID where the movie theater is now or near there was called Aqua Thrill way. It had 3 slides. When I was in elementary school many years ago I remember it was free to go on the last day of school.

Old 04-02-2022, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Detective View Post
Yes, It was sad to see it go. Someone could have made a 5 star restaurant out of it, but some concrete looking apartments with high rent will probably occupy the space.

Pharmadoc, you are absolutely right! There was a bowling alley on flour bluff drive-It was called the "AMF" bowling alley. I have been in that furniture store, and it is neat. They nearly changed anything in there. I still saw the old snack bar. Even "AMF" posters were in the restrooms! LOL.

Here's a brain teaser for all of you. Where exactly was the old Dillards and Fedway's downtown? I recently came across an old suit that had a fedway's tag on it. When did it close?
I also remember the old "Legs" strip club on the corner of S.P.I.D and Dodd st. Surprisingly it shut down and the iconic "Legs" are torn down.
I remember reading that there was a robbery gone wrong at the Sambo's on ayres and SPID, apparently one man was killed there!
Who Remembers the murder of Wanda Lopez at the Diamond Shamrock at SPID and Dodd st? Texas executed the wrong man!!!

One last thing, What was the name of the school that was on Airline and SPID that got torn down??? Lowe's and A strip mall now reside on the property.
Also What was the original grocery store that occupied the spot where sun harvest, or sprout's is in the gulf way shopping center??
Sundeen Junior High (which was remanded Shannon)
Handy Andy grocery store

Old 09-08-2023, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdIQ View Post

Ann
As would I...[/quote]
Me, three.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I used to love burger chefs and their "fun meals" . i think that the one on alameda disappeared sometime in the early 80s. I really don't remember a putt-putt behind parkdale plaza at all. The only putt-putt that I remember was on SPID. Of course, it's gone now. maybe the parkdale put-putt was before the 70s? I remember the Woolco damage just after the hurricane. all of the bricks came off of the building. i don't think that it closed though. I remember buying some 45 records (what are those?) in 1981 from that store. I'm not sure if it was still Woolco? Not sure.
Your memories are fascinating. I'm trying to picture the pick's at staples and everhart. which corner was it? I only remember Parkdale Bank, Sheps Chicken shack. what was the drive-in that was across from the butter krust bakery on ayers st? i think that it also disappeared in the 80s. I remember my mother told me that it was very popular at one time.
The Picks on Staples was actually at Staples and McArdle, not Everhart. It was directly across from the old Floyd’s and autotown.

Old 01-14-2024, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 480 times
Someone in another group posted that Buccaneer Bowling Alley had a skating rink also. I remember one attached to Gulf Bowl, but not Buccaneer. Does anyone remember?

Old 04-26-2024, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 206 times
I think it was called Aqua Thrillway. But I was only about 5 years old before it was demolished.

Old 04-26-2024, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 206 times
I remember the bowling alley where it is now HEB. Funny thing I was about five years old and I still remember go to it with my family but my sister who is five years older does not remember it.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 206 times
I only remember the Putt Putt Golf on SPID, I think where the strip club Cheetahs is now located or at least in the general area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi