Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespatian View Post
Cruises reflect American society in general. We've gone from looking presentable to sloth in public dress. No one likes to be told what to wear, but social norms are allowing us to see your trashy clothes, flip flops, and tatoos at what were formal situations.
I think that there is some middle ground between "formal wear" and "trashy clothes" - unless of course, you are the person renting out or selling the formal attire.

I have NO intention of incurring the serious expense of formal clothing for a one night activity with a bunch of people I will never see again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Try Norwegian Cruise Lines..they are way more relaxed in the dinner aspect....no assigned seating/times either first come first served between 6:00-8:30 PM I believe
I agree, Norwegian, you can do what you want, go to the "fancy" restaurants or the burger joint, or the cafeteria, etc... no required dress up. Although if you go to the nicer places you should wear jeans and collared shirt at least, but I think the requirement is people just wear long pants usually.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:02 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
We just got back from a Celebrity cruise that had two formal nights. It was a nice part of the cruise experience,
I was shock to see that no one was putting a gun to anyone's head to make them eat in the main dining room that evening. Matter of fact people were made quite welcome at the buffett and room service was available.
People say the cruise lines are forcing them to dress up and conform to their standards yet those who show up in jean, short and t-shirts are doing the exact same thing just in reverse.
My husband who lives in a uniform had no complaints about it. No feelings of oppression or feeling held down by 'the man".

Old 07-02-2010, 07:18 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
I haven't been on a cruise yet, but I'd love the formal dress code. It's a special night, so dress should be "special".
When folks wear bathing suits and other casual stuff all day, it would be great to "spruce up". I'm all for it, and looking forward to my turn on the cruise experience.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:03 AM

51 posts, read 109,545 times
Default It's worse for a woman!

[quote=Tom Lennox 70;14792704]Is anyone else annoyed about the requirements of the main dining room in almost all cruise ships? ....
It's also a burden to have to pack more clothes. They do offer tuxedo rentals on the ship but that is extra charge of course.

I agree! And it's worse for a woman! I'm already limited on suitcase space, and now I have to find room for a dress, appropriate matching undergarments and semi-dressy shoes to match, all to be worn only once! And who wants to keep an eye on the clock all afternoon then be crammed into a cabin during a beautiful early evening, sprucing up with makeup and uncomfortable bras and slips and shoes, when one could be sitting on the deck watching the waves. I'm doing it because my friend wants to but I think it is a total waste of my time.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
OK, so many people say they don't like to get dressed up outside of work. Personally to me, that sounds crazy. My work attire is quite different than my going out attire. I'm pretty sure I'd be fired if I showed up in one of my going out dresses to a formal workplace! That said, cruises are known for this dress code and write out the rules on their sites. If you don't agree with it, don't go. Or, sit on the deck with a bunch of screaming kids, eating hot dogs and burgers. Can't be much simpler than that!

I personally think Americans have lost any sense of dressing nicely and most look frumpy when going out. I see this every single day in San Diego, a tourist haven. Even worse, many very nice restaurants relax the dress code to accommodate these frumpy looking people. Kudos to those that maintain a dress code. Sometimes it's nice to get dressed up for a night out. We travel all the time and I always have a nice dress and heels with me. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean I have to wear flip flops and shorts!
I wear the same clothes to work that I would wear going out in public. That's all I have the budget for--so my clothes must do double duty. However, I go out in jeans and a T-shirt.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I like the formal nights on cruises. However, most cruise lines offer alternatives for people who do not want to dress up.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
It all comes down to choosing the right cruise for you. If you want formal, than most of the mass market lines have formal nights, as do Crystal and on some sailings, Regent.

If you want dressy casual, then go with Windstar or Regent (on some sailings) or one of the others that doen't have formal nights.

If you want to wear shorts and t-shirts, they won't turn you away on Carnival or you could eat at the buffet that all mass market lines offer at no additional cost.

We don't mind formal nights, it's fun to see everyone dressed up and adds to the experience. What we find disturbing is people who are aware there is a formal night and instead of choosing to book a cruise that is more in line with their desires, book the cruise with the formal night and then show up dressed like slobs.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 AM

444 posts, read 582,071 times
Default Lol

I am going to open up my own post and name it "why do people dress and act like rednecks on cruise ships."

have some self respect people and put on a nice pair of cloths when going to the formal dining room...ugh American's can be so childish sometimes. if you don't like it stick to the cafe with the rest of the bums.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:18 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
When we first started cruising there was a dress code. On the last 2 cruises, no code and it was like dining in a sports bar. There was actually one guy wearing a "wife beater" underwear tank top and sandals. I doubt that he showered before dinner either. I like the formal nights. Although, we've quit cruising because we don't like those big ships. I'm betting that those posting here that don't like the formal dress code are under 60. Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises