Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I'd be sure to get rain insurance since those Alaskan ports can get as much as 120 inches per year. Our last cruise to Alaska, same ports as yours, it rained the whole week heavily and all tours, rentals, site seeing flights were cancelled.
If you pre arranged trips with the Cruise line and it rains, you will not be charged for cancellations. If you go on your own, you take your chances.
I would not count on 13 hours in Skagway. We only had 8 hours. Your time will be cut short by about 1- 2 hours if you rent an automobile just because of the time it takes to do the paperwork checking in and then checking out. If the ship is late docking or there is bad weather you will need to adjust your schedule.
And yes we had some cruisers miss the boat. They had privately arranged sight seeing tours and the cost to catch up to the ship at the next port was expensive. They had a flat tire and hit some bad weather that got them stuck. No AAA available for them.
Good things to keep in mind. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 AM

68 posts, read 187,695 times
Default Alaskan Cruise

Thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise next summer. I've noticed different routes. Anyone know what the best routes/ports to see are?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
All the major cruise lines take the same routes. Routes vary slightly depending on the length of the cruise, but they all hit the same ports, and many on the same day.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
We enjoyed it. The towns aren't much--mostly jewelry traps and t-shirt traps--but there are some fun things to do, especially the shore excursions. Of course, you have to be ready to fork over for that.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
I went on an Alaskan Cruise from Seattle this year because its easier to fly there. A must do port is Skagway, and the Train excursion from there.
My cruise went into Glacier Bay which was beautiful, but Hubbard Glacier is also very pretty.
I know a lot that do a cruise and a cruise tour where they go into the interior.
You'll love Alaska.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 PM

228 posts, read 1,001,012 times
You will love Alaska, but to me, there is really nothing to see when cruising from Seattle until you reach the ports. I would do the true inside passage and leave from Vancouver, or from the north down to Vancouver.Its still enjoyable either way, but if your into the scenery, much better. Although, it is cheaper from Seattle..and I loved Seattle too! If you can, add a few land days onto your cruise. Be sure and do a Helicopter/Glacier Trek! Its expensive, but well worth it. The best excursion Ive ever taken on a cruise!

The train from Skagway is enjoyable too, just dont buy the video! I loved walking around in Ketchikan. Lovely little town.We did a float plane trip with Michelle of Island Wings, which was awesome... I have never been to Sitka, but a lot of people do like the history there.

Alaska is so beautiful. Im NOT a cold weather person, but it was one of the most enjoyable cruises I have ever taken. Enjoy!

You might want to go to CruiseCritic.com and check out the Alaska threads. You will get a lot of up to date info there. There is a poster named BudgetQueen who can answer any question you might have about a cruise to Alaska!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
If possible fly up, rent a car and drive...you will miss SE Alaska, but you can drive to the Kenai Peninsula from Anchorage, drive to Homer, fish for a day, you can to north from Anchorage and see Denali, maybe if she cooperates, even to the North Pole and take pictures with Santa There are also train options, plane options...most of the cruise stops are made in China shops...

Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Grannysroost, that is what my wife and i are planning for next summer. Rent a car in Anchorage and drive to Homer, Seward, Talkeetna, Denali, and either Fairbanks or Valdez. Will take about 2 weeks so we can stay in each place for at least 2 nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises