Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 47,053 times

Advertisements

First of all, I want to say hello to everyone who use this forum!
To be precise, I am accepted as Restaurant Steward in NCL company. The ship is Norwegian Epic...
I am about to board in Miami at April 6th... Unfortunately there is weary little informations that I can find, about company, job position and the ship...
I will be very grateful if anyone can tell me more abouth, what em I to face and experience?!
Any kind of information is acceptable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
You will work 12-16 hours a day, seven days a week.

You will bus tables, set tables, keep all stocks of glassware, silverware, napkins, condiments, etc. filled in the service areas. You might assist with guiding guests to tables and refilling water glasses. You are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel as far as crew, just above dishwasher/laundry attendant. Do your job well and you will have the chance to be promoted to assistant server after a year or so. The more you take it upon yourself to learn, the faster you will promoted. You seem to already know English well which is a big plus in your favor.

Your day will likely begin at 5:00 am and you most likely won't get a break until around 2:30. You will be back on shift at around 4:30 to prepare for dinner service, and finish around 11:30. Depending on exactly which restaurant you work in, the hours could be slightly shorter.

You will also learn fire safety and have an assigned post and will have a fire drill every week during a port day.

Generally you will have 2-3 hours once a week where you can go ashore at a port to manage personal obligations. The port will be chosen for you depending on staffing needs.

You will live in a small windowless cabin with at least one and as many as three other people. Privacy will be minimal.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM

Thank you for such detailed answer... I really appreciate it!
Working from 12 to 16 hours per day? But that is considered as ''overtime'' right? And it will be extra paid?
But no matter, I we been working here sometimes for even 25 hours! And also, it was much harder work, and unfortunately, much less paid.
Please be so kind to answer me, i have 3 more questions!?

1. Is it thruth, that tips for waiter in NCL, are not just in cache? As I heard, when you serve a customer, it will be extra charged (12 dollars per person that you serve) to your account!
And it is also allowed, (if the customer is that sadisfated), you can take also the cache that is been offered to you?

2. Except that is new, and hudge ship, what can you tell me abouth Norwegian Epic?
How good is for crew member to be in ship like that? Someweare I read that, because of ship size, even 80% of the crew have their own single cabins?

3. Can you tell me, the list of job positions on NCL, so that I know where my positions is, and where will I be if i earn promotion...

Thank you so much!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognjenovic89 View Post
Working from 12 to 16 hours per day? But that is considered as ''overtime'' right? And it will be extra paid?
But no matter, I we been working here sometimes for even 25 hours! And also, it was much harder work, and unfortunately, much less paid.
You will not get overtime pay.

Quote:
1. Is it thruth, that tips for waiter in NCL, are not just in cache? As I heard, when you serve a customer, it will be extra charged (12 dollars per person that you serve) to your account!
And it is also allowed, (if the customer is that sadisfated), you can take also the cache that is been offered to you?
Do you mean in cash? Like currency as opposed to chits? I'm not sure if stewards are part of the gratuity pool or not. You might only be working for your pay, not tips. I don't know the NCL policy on keeping tips as opposed to turning them into the pool--this is something you'll have to ask your supervisor when you get on board.

Quote:
2. Except that is new, and hudge ship, what can you tell me abouth Norwegian Epic?
How good is for crew member to be in ship like that? Someweare I read that, because of ship size, even 80% of the crew have their own single cabins?
I haven't sailed it. You are pretty low on the hierarchy, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about having a private cabin. I'm guessing that until you get promoted to asst. waiter you will share.

Quote:
3. Can you tell me, the list of job positions on NCL, so that I know where my positions is, and where will I be if i earn promotion...

Thank you so much!
The next step up would be asst. waiter, then waiter.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
The answers you have gotten are pretty accurate, but even though you are on duty 12 to 16 hours, there are times when you will not actually be working.

No overtime: the ship isn't registered in the USA thus the same laws do not apply.

I do not know about the tipping policy, but I would gather, from what I have read, the $12 per day, per person, split up many times does go to the crew in cash. I am not sure if you will be part of the pool or not. What you will want to do is, do your best and hopefully move up to assistant waiter or waiter...most of the crew we have spoken with on our NCL cruises have been with the company many years, we did talk to someone on our last cruise that had only been with them about 3 years.

I am almost certain you will not have a private cabin, very few crew members do.

Keep us posted, enjoy your new experience, the Epic is a very unusual ship and very popular with the younger cruisers.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
Hey I'm actually going to be on your cruise. April 6th on the Epic out of Miami

Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM

As crew member, or as guest?
Looking forward to meet you in person anyway...
May i find you in facebook?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,830 times
may i know how much money i can earn minimum as a restaurant steward in norwegian cruise line

Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognjenovic89 View Post

Thank you so much!
Well I wonder how it worked out for you?

jidhunp: Are you talking full wait staffer or starting out as an assistant? No one can really tell you how much you make, but I can assure you, most of the crew members we have met on NCL ships have been with the company for years, some as long as 20, so they must be happy.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Kind of a strange thread...must of the hires for steward's are Indonesian or Philipino (hence the low third world wages and long hours). He's almost acting like he has no idea what the job is. A private cabin? hahaha...think military style barracks with bunk beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises