Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM

13,409 posts, read 28,749,831 times

Advertisements

For me:

Departure port
Ports of Call
Expense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
We just got back from a Carnival cruise Sunday. We chose it b/c of the itinerary, it was different than the "usual" Caribbean routes you find - Aruba, Curacao (unfortunately we didn't get here b/c we got rerouted due to TS Dorian), Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos. I had only been to Aruba prior to this. So I guess I go for itinerary first, although flying to your departure port is a PITA.

I prefer sailing out of NYC over other places since I'm in NJ, plus there's nothing like seeing the skyline, Statue and sailing under the Verrazano. But with this past cruise, the stops trumped all.
Great itinerary: we are doing, Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas in Dec. I wish we were doing Turks and Caicos? I agree about flying, plus the cost, but, for some of us, if we didn't fly to the embarkation port we would be stuck cruising down the little, local rivers or around the man made lakes.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,495,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Great itinerary: we are doing, Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas in Dec. I wish we were doing Turks and Caicos? I agree about flying, plus the cost, but, for some of us, if we didn't fly to the embarkation port we would be stuck cruising down the little, local rivers or around the man made lakes.
Aruba is awesome, best scuba and snorkel in the world. Grand Turk was nice got to swim with nurse sharks. The beach there is awesome no tender, custom made for cruise ships.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Aruba is awesome, best scuba and snorkel in the world. Grand Turk was nice got to swim with nurse sharks. The beach there is awesome no tender, custom made for cruise ships.
thanks, we have been to Aruba a few times, both land trips and on cruises. The problem with snorkeling: hubby is afraid of the water, so when I go, I have to leave him behind: decisions, decisions??!!! We might try to find a combo tour where there is something else for him to do...

Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM

50,389 posts, read 64,073,157 times
We have been lucky enough to take about 6 or 7 cruises to Mexico and the Caribbean, and I have to say they got more and more disappointing as the years went on. In the late 80's, we had uncrowded pampering and wonderful cruises. More and more, even though we went on some new big ships, they became less fun. They now nickel and dime you for everything, and things like port tours are like herding a bunch of cattle. At the risk of sounding like a snob, as cruises became more affordable, they became more like McDonalds and less like a 5 star hotel.
To answer the OPs question. We plan on trying the experience again, with low expectations. We are semi retired and live 2 hours from two different Carnival (horrors) ports. We intend to take some cheap, last minute 3-4 day cruises to see if they are any fun...no fancy clothes, no tour excursions except to hop into a cab, cheapest indoor cabin available. I think it will be like going to a Super 8, except we wind up in Nassau.
For your first time:
Smaller ship
As expensive as you can afford
As many ports as possible

Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,495,720 times
I actually have come to like 2 days at sea on a 10-11 day. I can sleep in, get a good gym workout and relax. Sometimes it is a cattle call esp for tender or when disembark from Carnival in Miami, talk about going from relaxation to fire drill.

After the Carnival mishaps they are going to have to prove themselves again to us before we get back on. Never had major mishaps but sewage cruise doesn't sound thrilling.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM

gentlearts, I hear what you are saying. We will be on our 20 something cruise in about 4 months. I say 20 something because I have cruised more than hubby. We have watched the changes, but it hasn't affected our love for cruising that much. We just expect a different experience than the days gone by. The nickel and diming, yes, it is an issue, but I would rather see the prices stay down, which they really have, if you think about inflation and choose how I want to spend by budgeted dollars. We love to try the specialty dining rooms, but we are not into spending money on Bingo, ship tours, or spa treatments. We have a favorite line. Well, let's put it this way, it's like a frequent flyer program, we have sailed them so often we are at the top tier (I am anyway) so we get lots of perks which helps.

My main problem is the oversized damn ships. I can remember when a ship that held 2000 people was a mega ship, now it is small to mid sized. We have only been on one mega ship, it was a Princess cruise a few years ago, the ship held 3500, never again.

I really think more than the changes affecting some of us, it is repetition. There is nothing like the first: the first kiss, the first child, buying your first house or first new car and yes, your first cruise. We feel about Vegas like what you are saying about cruising. We have done it so many times, the excitement is gone and the awe is gone.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,709,300 times
I feel like white trailer trash , as I've never had an issue with Carnival. Over the years (my first was 17 years ago) I've found the food to improve vastly, staff has become friendlier, amenities have become better. I find it stacks up nicely to NCL and RC. Yes, the decor is tackier but we make it a game to notice the mismatched wallpaper, carpeting, etc. and try to figure out what drugs the designer was on when the choices were made.

We did NCL 2 years ago and thought the ship was beautiful, but I wasn't a fan of the nickel and diming (NCL has made it an art!). If I knew beforehand it wouldn't have bothered me so much. My brother just came back from his first NCL, but I gave him the lowdown so he was prepared and loved it. I wouldn't NOT go on another NCL though.

I did a transatlantic on the QE2 and while it was a life altering experience, I would take Carnival over that (I know, lock me up now!)! I went when the old class (caste?) system was in place and it was kinda icky.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,709,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that's a great itinerary too! what line?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I feel like white trailer trash , as I've never had an issue with Carnival. Over the years (my first was 17 years ago) I've found the food to improve vastly, staff has become friendlier, amenities have become better. I find it stacks up nicely to NCL and RC. Yes, the decor is tackier but we make it a game to notice the mismatched wallpaper, carpeting, etc. and try to figure out what drugs the designer was on when the choices were made.

We did NCL 2 years ago and thought the ship was beautiful, but I wasn't a fan of the nickel and diming (NCL has made it an art!). If I knew beforehand it wouldn't have bothered me so much. My brother just came back from his first NCL, but I gave him the lowdown so he was prepared and loved it. I wouldn't NOT go on another NCL though.

I did a transatlantic on the QE2 and while it was a life altering experience, I would take Carnival over that (I know, lock me up now!)! I went when the old class (caste?) system was in place and it was kinda icky.
I do not see NCL nickeling and diming anymore than any other line. Could you give a couple of examples? That being said, you really can put NCL, Carnival and RCI in the same category. it is just a matter of your likes and dislikes. They are similar but each has its own personality. I think the average cruiser could be happy on any of those 3 lines, again based on personal interest. You are right, Carnival ships can be a little tacky and Rci ships offer a few more activities. NCL stands out for entertainment and dining choices. Oh, I know some of the new RCi ships, the mega ships do offer unbelievable entertainment, but there is charge for some of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises