Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 PM

30,694 posts, read 18,319,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschappel View Post
A unique option, especially for those who desire lifelong learning, is to take a Semester at Sea cruise (semesteratsea.org). They typically have fall, winter and summer cruises lasting from 65 days (summer cruise) to about 100 days. Adults (40 and over) travel with students during the cruise and may audit classes and attend seminars. Classes and seminars are held while at sea. When the ship docks it's often for 4 days or more and traveling "in country" is possible and even encouraged.

Of course it's a large time commitment and not inexpensive, but well worth it. While I have not had the pleasure of experiencing a Semester at Sea voyage my parents went on two and thoroughly enjoyed both. If interested check out their website at semesteratsea.org.
Yes, I have two friends who did semester at sea. Both thoroughly enjoyed their experience and highly recommend the program. If I enjoyed cruising more, I'd consider looking into the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:16 PM

11,813 posts, read 12,064,161 times
I've seen a few cruise itineraries that dock overnight in a port to give you the better part of two days to explore a city, i.e. Venice, Istanbul, St. Petersburg. But beyond that, docking for 4-5 days is not cruising. I can't locate amounts online but it is fairly substantial what a cruise ship has to pay for port/anchor fees at each port/country. There is no incentive for them to want to port for days on end at a given location. Cruise ships are meant to keep moving.

For a cruise like what you're looking for, you might be suited for the Greek Islands where you can ferry between each island, and set the number of days you want to be in each place. The ferry is simply a means of getting you from one place to another, not a whole onboard experience like a cruise ship.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,124,142 times
if you didn't mind more spartan accommodations, and had a couple of weeks or more, you could take the Alaska ferry system along the SW coast and get off and on for days at a time before catching the next or later ferry coming by.

Can't imagine taking one of the bigger cruise lines through there and being disgorged at each port for 8 hours along with several thousand other pax only to repeat again and again at each stop.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,929,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
For a cruise like what you're looking for, you might be suited for the Greek Islands where you can ferry between each island, and set the number of days you want to be in each place. The ferry is simply a means of getting you from one place to another, not a whole onboard experience like a cruise ship.
This works in Alaska as well. The cruise ships and ferries frequently pass by each other on similar routes. Ghengis sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if you didn't mind more spartan accommodations, and had a couple of weeks or more, you could take the Alaska ferry system along the SW coast and get off and on for days at a time before catching the next or later ferry coming by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises