Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Strongly prefer ocean cruises 6 30.00%
Somewhat prefer ocean cruises 2 10.00%
Like both equally 6 30.00%
Somewhat prefer river cruises 2 10.00%
Strongly prefer river cruises 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times

Advertisements

Please, please, please vote only if you've actually been on both.

My husband (72) and I (66) are healthy and active. We didn't travel a whole lot while we were working, but now that we're both retired, we want to see as much of the world as possible. This past May, we took a 12-day cruise to the Mediterranean on the Celebrity Equinox, and loved it. We're booked for another Celebrity cruise to the Carribean this coming January, and are looking into an Australia/New Zealand cruise to depart in February, 2016. We have, incidentally, traveled throughout much of Europe before, but it was when we were much younger. We'd like to go back again before we're too old to enjoy it.

We continually get brochures from Viking River cruises in the mail, and have also thought about taking one of them. With too little time and too little money to see everything in the world we'd like to see, we would like some input from people who have taken both ocean and river cruises. If you fit this requirement, I'd love to see your vote and read what you have to say about what it is you prefer about the one means of travel over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,928,969 times
Even on the cruise specific websites less than 5% of cruisers visit such sites. Here it would be just a small fraction of that. I would be surprised if there are many on this forum that have done both although I'm interested as well. Hope you get some votes!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM

44,662 posts, read 61,729,772 times
In a nut shell...
Ocean cruises you have more room, big ships, more things to do, more eating options, big variety of entertainment.
River cruises, small ships have bathroom size rooms, crowded areas to congregate, certain eating hours only, limited entertainment, but do have good views as you cruise along.
We prefer big ships as they fit what we like and are not so cramped.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 30,032,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
In a nut shell...
Ocean cruises you have more room, big ships, more things to do, more eating options, big variety of entertainment.
River cruises, small ships have bathroom size rooms, crowded areas to congregate, certain eating hours only, limited entertainment, but do have good views as you cruise along.
We prefer big ships as they fit what we like and are not so cramped.
Thank you so, so, so much for responding. I was beginning to think no one would. I think you've made some really valid points. I'd love the idea of having beautiful scenery to see as you cruise, but I really hadn't thought about the downside to river cruises. This will give me something to think about.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,009,063 times
My bathrooms on Uniworld were pretty much the same size as one would find on the majors: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL.

River cruises take you to places the ocean going vessels cannot..........the heart of the cities and towns.

Cabin size.............depending upon the boat a non-suite cabin can be 170 sq ft..similar to ocean going ships......and larger than many cabins on NCL.

I've never missed the large scale entertainment venues while on a river cruise. Who needs it? The shows really haven't changed in 40+ years.........same old themes.

With mass market cruising it is getting to be all about the ships now............not the destinations. With river cruising it is about the destination. And destination is why we're traveling.

And river cruises don't nickel and dime you to death onboard!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:04 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,458,300 times
If you are healthy, I would love to do a Viking Cruise (former travel agent). You get a much better look at the European countryside, able to go into places ships can't go. And so much of Europe was built along the rivers - the primary transportation method for centuries.

But if you are mobility challenged, I would not recommend then. We looked into doing a Viking Cruise, but I need a power chair and the docks, ship, etc are not handicapped-friendly, at least when we looked a few years ago.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,378,218 times
The river cruises are typically a lot more expensive, right? That would be one drawback. It would be nice to see things besides water while sailing but unless the port time is a whole lot more, probably not worth the extra $$$ and limited space for most.. Too bad no one's brought the old dirigibles back in any real accessible way yet.

I didn't vote, just commented, btw.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,859,226 times
We've taken and enjoyed a number of ocean cruises, but, have been thinking about some river cruises, so this thread is of interest to us.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
My bathrooms on Uniworld were pretty much the same size as one would find on the majors: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL.

River cruises take you to places the ocean going vessels cannot..........the heart of the cities and towns.

Cabin size.............depending upon the boat a non-suite cabin can be 170 sq ft..similar to ocean going ships......and larger than many cabins on NCL.

I've never missed the large scale entertainment venues while on a river cruise. Who needs it? The shows really haven't changed in 40+ years.........same old themes.

With mass market cruising it is getting to be all about the ships now............not the destinations. With river cruising it is about the destination. And destination is why we're traveling.

And river cruises don't nickel and dime you to death onboard!!!!!!!!!
you bring up some good points. It still depends on why you cruise: BTW, the shows on most mass marketed lines change about every 4 years, but I know what you mean. Because my husband enjoys things like shows, he would not be thrilled with no night life at all, I don't think. I will also add, though I don't know which NCL ships you have sailed or which RCI ships, but the cabins on both, for the most part are pretty similar in size. Of course again, this depends on the individual ship. The smallest cabins we have ever had and we have cruised about 30 times was on RCI twice; next to that the smallest have been NCL. Carnival has the largest other than HAL.

I think everyone needs to decide for themselves, like you said, why are you taking the cruise? And how much can you afford? Nickel and diming isn't necessary if you don't want it to be. Other than gratuities I know people who cruise for an entire week without spending anything extra; others that will have a $2,000 bill at the end of the cruise. Then there are those of us who fall somewhere in the middle.

The mobility issue does have to be considered as well. River cruising is better for the more active cruisers.

For people who can afford the additional cost and really cruise for the ports river cruising is a great way to see a lot in a short period of time. I don't think I know anyone who has done it and been sorry.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The mobility issue does have to be considered as well. River cruising is better for the more active cruisers.
I'm curious why you would say this? (I've never taken a river cruise, but we've considered it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises