Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:01 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times

Advertisements

I went on one with my family when I was 14 and it was boring. It was a 3 day to Mexico. Royal Caribbean I think. Maybe if I was with friends & it was a better cruise line...
I don't know....It seems like an old person type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:26 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
We had a fabulous time on the Disney Cruise but I have to chuckle when I remember some of the people on the cruise were complaining about how the boat pitched and rocked.

I said to one of them "you are aware we are in a tiny little boat in the middle of the ocean right??"

I mean honestly what on earth did they expect?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:05 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think cruises can be limiting. We really love the freedom of going and doing what we want to do - we love to drive and discover new out of the way little towns and areas - staying at great little Bed & Breakfast Inns, etc....we don't like to overeat or crowds of people.

A few years ago we went to New England for 3 weeks vacation during the fall - we saw the best fall colors inland and we wandered all over New England while our friends paid for a Fall color cruise and saw very little color at the limited number of seaside ports they visited - they were gone for 10 days and spent the same amount of money we did for a 3 week vacation.
Cattknap, I'm the same way. For me a vacation would never be a cruise, but a road trip. The freedom to be driving your own car and go where you want when you want is priceless. I'll be taking my first road trip of the year in the next month or so. I usually drive my big rig since I have a sleeper bunk and don't have to pay to stay at hotels. I got an onboard frig, so I can take along lots of food to minimize eating on the road and eating better quality food. Going on a 10 day joy ride like that is priceless to me and a freedom I truly cherish. It's great to get away from the office for a week or so just to get back to reality.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Over 100 million people have contributed to the destruction of port cities in the past ten years.
And what positive contributions have you made

Old 04-29-2008, 08:22 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Over 100 million people have contributed to the destruction of port cities in the past ten years.
Yes, we should all go back to living primitively in caves. And ride horses instead of drive cars. We'll appoint you "Chief of Horse Dung Removal"...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Default boats are just good for transport

The only "cruises" I ever did was boarding a ship to travel from a point to another, usually from a continent to an island or between 2 islands; it took from one hour to max one night :
- from Hyannis Port to Martha's Vineyard
- from Madeira to Porto Santo
- from Barcelona to Ibiza
- from Hyères to Port Cros
- from Cannes to St Honnorat
- to cross the English Channel
- from Venice to **** (Croatia)-on an overcraft
Oh no, I forgot, once I made a cruise on a former fishing boat for an afternoon along the Adriatic Italian coast between Rimini and Cattolica (lunch, fish and wine included), that was nice; the same in Tenerife to view whales & dolphins and then take a dip in water, delicious and not expensive!
But 21-days (!!!!) 20.000 Bucks cruises on McMonsters "Emperors of the sea"...yikes!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM

...I forgot the very pleasant 1 and half hour crossing between Den Helder and Texel (Netherlands)...and countless "circles on the water" on sailing boats, sure it's "not my cup of tea"(I'm seasick and sailing boats are so incredibly cramped), but I can relate much better to the people who are into sailing (after all, it's a sport, and a tough one) than the "aficionados" of "floating palaces"...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm sorry (where did I leave my head?), I forgot the 2-hour passage between Luzon and Puerto Galera (Mindoro, Philippines) , the 1 hour trip between Tenerife and Gomera...the 1 hour trip between the French continent and Yeu island (nothing to see save the tomb of the ignominious Marshal Pétain),the mini cruises on the Lake of Geneva and the Lake of Constance (dead boring those) ...and...the trips on vaporettos in Venice ...and ...the water taxi between Puerto Vallarta and Yelapa (vow!)...all this probably doesn't count as "cruises", but I enjoyed some of these short trips tremendously!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 AM

515 posts, read 1,832,813 times
Just got back from a crusie to the Mexican Rivera. 7 day cruise abord the Carnival Pride. This was my first cruise, same with my wife. I'll try and break it down as useful as possible.

Things we loved:
-The service from the crew and staff was amazing! 10 out of 10!
-The ship was very clean, we were both suprised at this. 10/10
-Plenty of entertainment while on the ship. Very hard to be bored. 8/10
-Met some really nice people from all over the globe. 9/10
-Cabo San Lucas, A must see for all, this place is fantastic!!! 10/10
-Excursions. Carnival did this very well. 9/10

Things we didn't love:
-Way too many smoking areas. Thats just us though. 2/10
-The food. It maybe included, but it was awful! 1/10
-Getting on the ship. 2 hours from parking garage to room. 2/10
-Mazatlan (not the cruises problem) very, very trashy. 1/10
-Some if the prices were outrageous. We ran out if sunscreen. $14 for a spray on can. 5/10

Just a quick review, I can go into more detail if someone wishes. We did have a lot of fun and got to see some places we wanted to. Will we go on a crusie again? Probably not. The food was terrible and 4 full days at sea was a waste in my opinion. We were lucky and met some really nice people at our dinner table, it could have been a nightmare. I've heard some incredible stories about dinner tables, like I said before we were lucky. The shows were entertaining, but in no way are they excellent. Someone posted that the shows were as good as shows in Vegas. Very, very untrue. The crew of the ship made it entertaining, they are amazing and have fun doing their jobs, they made it the most fun for us. Any questions let me know, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises