Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

We had to pay extra for alcoholic beverages and soda but I only drink water so that didn't bother me.

I had to pay extra for access to the steam room (gym was free) and the mud wraps, manicures and hair salon.

The trips away from the ship while your in port are also extra.

Daycare was included in the price as well, I wanted to visit the adults only restaurant with my Mom so my daughter went to daycare. They also took care of her when I was having the mud wrap.

The ship we were on (The Disney Magic) had a limited room service menu but I found that if you contact your waiter ahead of time, they would make up the food that was served in the dining room and have it sent to your room which was awesome.

There was literally some place to eat all the time while on board the ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM

203 posts, read 960,664 times
Well, I assume I will gain a few pounds just for the mere fact I have no idea the ingredients. But after losing 100 pounds by eating healthy and exercising 2 hours EACH day, gaining weight will be on my mind and I do hope I won't gain THAT much!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbecky79 View Post
Well, I assume I will gain a few pounds just for the mere fact I have no idea the ingredients. But after losing 100 pounds by eating healthy and exercising 2 hours EACH day, gaining weight will be on my mind and I do hope I won't gain THAT much!
YOu know what I did to combat that, I never took the elevator, I would go into the elevator and hit the right floor for my elderly Mother and my daughter and then I would run up or down the stairs trying to beat them. I also spent some time each day in the steam room, I actually LOST weight on the cruise.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Drinks are not always included. My parents' friends went on a cruise in the Caribbean and paid $9 per drink!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 AM

203 posts, read 960,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Drinks are not always included. My parents' friends went on a cruise in the Caribbean and paid $9 per drink!
For Alcohol or Iced tea???

Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
For specific cruise information check out cruisecritic.com. It is a huge place for people with reviews of ships and lines, forums for specific companies, ports, types of cruises, etc. I have found it valuable for everyone from the first time cruiser to those with experience who are looking for something special.

Cruises have flavors just like ice cream. Some ships cater to families, some to more sophisticated groups. Some are very port intensive and some are full of physical sports.

They are basically the same but with details that can differ by ship.

Food: Timing of meals, whether anytime or set times, quality (although all are pretty good), choice, set up, whether expresso is included or extra, etc.
Entertainment: Pretty standard but you can get a wide variety of quality.
Tips: Pretty standard but the luxury lines mostly include them in the fare.
Shore excursions: Way way overpriced but consistent and easy to book.
Drinks: Alcohol is a big money maker and on only a few luxury lines is it included. There is always a source for something to drink, usually around the upper buffet. Bring an insulated container and you can fill and carry around with you.

We have gone around 10 times and usually only spend $200 (mostly the tips) on board. We take no shore excursions because the ship is our vacation. Love the people and there is always enough to do. We read a lot and walk the promenade. The Holland American Noordam library was a dream. Actually fell asleep in the lounge chair.

I pick HAL because of the friendly crew, the wonderful beds, the DVD player in the room, the library on the new ships, the set up of the buffet.

I pick Celebrity because of the people, the Italian type crew, the wonderful ships, the evening entertainment.

depends on the cruise experience I want at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises