Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2021, 03:38 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't, not at our age and with dh's history of strokes. There are too many breakthough infections with the vaccines and there are too many unknowns. I was so thankful I wasn't on a cruise back when the cruise ships got stuck because so many people onboard were sick.

Someday, if they come out with better vaccines or better treatment I would love to take another cruise. I don't care where I go, it's all about being out on the water in the salt air, nothing to do except relax. Probably would sail from NYC (but getting to NYC isn't that easy) and I wouldn't care if they just went around in a circle, lol. I would be concerned about the buffet though because ever since Covid started I have sworn I will never eat at a buffet again. But I think back to when I went on a cruise and I seem to remember that we were served at the buffet. I don't think it was wide open for people to sneeze or cough on. Maybe some of it was...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 09:32 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,022,442 times
[quote=Bevv;61616034]We will be cruising in 38 days also have to be covid tested and masked onboard like you. Only adjustment we made was move from a cove balcony to one on a higher deck. That avoids spending time in elevators.

We prefer quiet corners, don't do lido deck parties, do not like to eat with strangers, don't hang out at the piano bar, and have seen the shows on the cruise we are taking. We have always done a form of social distancing so there will be few changes for the way we cruise with the upcoming cruise. Happy sailing to you![/quote]

Thank you - to you as well! 68 days till we cruise and I don't want to get sick so I'm still very careful at home and work. I want that test to come back negative lol - obviously not just for cruising sake! I didn't think of less elevator time being on a lower deck but I should think we'll be ok. I'm not convinced we're going to do all the activities and that's why we got a balcony - IF we're confined to our room, we'll be fine.

This is only our 3rd cruise and one of our first vacations in a LONG time that didn't have additional people coming (meeting friends and/or family vacays) and it'll be on my husband's birthday. If we're fortunate enough to not have it cancelled by then, I think we're just going to be super easy about whatever comes - no expectations other than enjoying the water.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 1,155,567 times
Yes. Waiting for these stupid muzzle mandates for planes, airports, and ships to be done before I book anything.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:33 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,317,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Yes. Waiting for these stupid muzzle mandates for planes, airports, and ships to be done before I book anything.
You might be waiting for a long time! I don’t like them either but I accept they are likely to be around for quite a while.

Are the cruises still going to have buffets? We hardly have any in my state. They tightened the health regulations very tightly more than twenty years ago and they have also gone out of fashion. Hotels have breakfast buffets, or did before Covid, but I generally have avoided the ship buffets.

Old 08-10-2021, 10:03 PM

394 posts, read 279,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
You might be waiting for a long time! I don’t like them either but I accept they are likely to be around for quite a while.
That's true. I hate wearing the masks, but I'm afraid I'll never go anywhere again if I don't.

In 2023 we have a cruise booked that starts in Melbourne, goes around New Zealand, then back to Melbourne, plus an OAT land tour through Australia. I'm hoping it will actually happen.

Last edited by dsb1067; 08-10-2021 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-11-2021, 05:29 AM

663 posts, read 435,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

Are the cruises still going to have buffets? We hardly have any in my state. They tightened the health regulations very tightly more than twenty years ago and they have also gone out of fashion. Hotels have breakfast buffets, or did before Covid, but I generally have avoided the ship buffets.

different cruise lines have buffets but different ways of handling them. Carnival allows self serve, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have servers plate the food for the passengers.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:19 AM

7,602 posts, read 6,104,237 times
Shell...cruising out of Miami in October? We are scheduled to as well. Call it a "Birthday Cruise" You know, they bring you a cake (which is not on my diet) at dinner and gather around and sing...
♫ Hoppy BurshDay TO YOU Hoppy Burshday TO YOU♪
Love it when they do that

We did buy insurance, of course, and know the risk of Hurricanes, but the past member cost was SO ¢heap and it is during my birthday so my old lady booked it for us

I have had covid, and the vaccine, and I still wear a mask, I will get tested before leaving and Hopefully be closer to my final weight goal. Have lost 20 Lbs since July 5th, and want to lose 13 more by Oct 1st, very little will work during the cruise, but they do serve baked fish and steamed veggies and I will make that the bulk of the meals.

I will post the details here afterwards, provided that it does happen. Also scheduled to go cruising again Mid December, and then a land trip to Vegas for 6 days in January.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:23 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,317,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
That's true. I hate wearing the masks, but I'm afraid I'll never go anywhere again if I don't.

In 2023 we have a cruise booked that starts in Melbourne, goes around New Zealand, then back to Melbourne, plus an OAT land tour through Australia. I'm hoping it will actually happen.
I think it probably will. I do not expect there will be international tourists coming in next year but the world cannot be locked out forever.

Mind you, New Zealand remains one of the very few countries of any size that has managed to keep Delta out. They will find it hard to move to a situation of accepting some amount in the community.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:25 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,022,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Shell...cruising out of Miami in October? We are scheduled to as well. Call it a "Birthday Cruise" You know, they bring you a cake (which is not on my diet) at dinner and gather around and sing...
♫ Hoppy BurshDay TO YOU Hoppy Burshday TO YOU♪
Love it when they do that

We did buy insurance, of course, and know the risk of Hurricanes, but the past member cost was SO ¢heap and it is during my birthday so my old lady booked it for us

I have had covid, and the vaccine, and I still wear a mask, I will get tested before leaving and Hopefully be closer to my final weight goal. Have lost 20 Lbs since July 5th, and want to lose 13 more by Oct 1st, very little will work during the cruise, but they do serve baked fish and steamed veggies and I will make that the bulk of the meals.

I will post the details here afterwards, provided that it does happen. Also scheduled to go cruising again Mid December, and then a land trip to Vegas for 6 days in January.
Actually, we're sailing out of Port Canaveral - flying into Orlando and taking a shuttle to the port. You're funny about the diet - my husband and I both lamented that last time we went a little nuts on the fro-yo - silly swirl cones ruined many a dinner appetite!

He might be a little embarrassed if I tell them it's his birthday but I think I'm going to anyway - it'll be fun and memorable and we'll enjoy some birthday cake! We haven't tacked on insurance yet - I know, I know - I sort of feel like it's hell or high water, ya know hahahaha - we probably will but haven't yet. Each time we cruise, we discover things about our travels for what to do/what not to do, preferences etc. It'll be nice this time to see if our planning pays off or will we change it up the next time.

Good job on losing weight - whether it was by choice or not - they do have some good choices to help make better decisions. I absolutely love all the fruit - almost can't get enough. We might even try the steak house for something different. I really wish they were back to doing the chef dinners - I've only been on one, but it was wonderful and entertaining.

Good luck to you and your wife - I look forward to details. Lucky you for planning your next trips as well - I have a feeling my husband will consider the same as soon as our own cruise comes to an end - what's next, where do we go???

Old 08-12-2021, 10:39 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,714,950 times
Will you cruise again after the Coronavirus is over?

Nope, never again..I never liked the crusing from Day One, the Wife was the REAL FAN of the Ships out of Miami and Fart Lauderdale.

But a year + AGO, she swore to me that NEVER AGAIN in her lifetime she would resume the trips. That made my day, my year and the REST of my days on earth.

There are so many more and better options than Cruising that I am happy again.

BTW, she is yet to return to the GYM since 3-18-2020 . . I went back as soon as it was feasible, now...that turns me on. Not watching people making PIGS of themselves at the Self Serve Food Cafeterias on the Ships, it's even better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises