Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 12:22 AM

537 posts, read 443,644 times

Advertisements

We have been traveling to Europe for 52 years, and still return once or twice a year. In June, 2022, we went to London for a long weekend and then flew down to Athens to catch an Eastern Med cruise to the Greek Islands, Montenegro, Croatia and ended in Italy. We had taken an Eastern Med cruise before.

In Italy, we took a train 70 miles from Ravenna up to Venice. Venice recently quit allowing large ships from entering their lagoon. Although I've been to Venice 10+ times, I wanted my 11 year old granddaughter to experience the place.

Italian trips are best done on land, and most first time travelers do well to fly into Rome and then take a train up to Florence and a train to Venice. The best travel sights are inland.

My wife is mobility challenged this year, and we're taking the year off. Cruises are a great way for her to go on vacations since she rides an electric scooter. I am going to Israel in 3 weeks, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 09:04 PM

1,709 posts, read 805,172 times
I might suggest checking out the Azamara cruises. <700 passengers so fits into (and closer to) ports the other lines can't get to. Also they generally have a couple of overnight stops so you can get out and explore the nightlife and still have your ship cabin. A bit pricey but not grossly so especially with what they include. They are known for their country immersion itineraries.

Sailed Alaska in 2019 and loved Azamara that we're doing a Western Med this coming September.

Old 04-15-2023, 12:32 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,489 times
We were on a tour of Greece that concluded with a 4 day cruise of the Islands. The land tour was great but the cruise was so-so as the stops were brief and the crowds were overwhelming. And that was in October!
Italy would be tough to really get to know on a cruise ship because visiting any of the major cities would involve a considerable bus ride to even get there. And I believe that Venice is now parking cruises further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises