Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times

Advertisements

I don't see where any harm or insult was given. Not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
When it gets to the point where it hurts someone, though, it's not funny anymore.

What's most likely is that the CVS photo worker who thought he/she was being amusing, when in reality he/she was being a d-bag.
ok, but nobody was hurt here. miss lee just sees cvs dollar signs.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM

29 posts, read 65,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I don't see where any harm or insult was given. Not at all.
Well obviously not because you're not Asian.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
It was probably written on the photo envelope, not on the order.

Who knows, she could have done it herself after the photo pickup. Just speculating.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia Nuts View Post
Well obviously not because you're not Asian.
You don't have to be Asian to see how insulting it was.

$1,000,000 seems rather excessive to me for the actions of a idiotic employee(assuming the employee is at fault) that ultimately caused no physical or long-term mental harm. CVS is definitely going to conduct their own investigation, and probably settle with her out of court for the fraction of that amount if they find one of their employees was at fault. She might get a more if she holds out a little bit as I'm sure CVS doesn't want the bad publicity that could come with a trial.

If only I could've sued all the losers that threw rocks at me while taunting me with racist slurs when I was a kid for a million each...

I probably could've gotten a Papa John's employee fired a few years back for saying that I look like a terrorist, but I just handed the pizza box back and demanded my money back. In retrospect, I should've gotten that asshat fired.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
You don't have to be Asian to see how insulting it was.

$1,000,000 seems rather excessive to me for the actions of a idiotic employee(assuming the employee is at fault) that ultimately caused no physical or long-term mental harm. CVS is definitely going to conduct their own investigation, and probably settle with her out of court for the fraction of that amount if they find one of their employees was at fault. She might get a more if she holds out a little bit as I'm sure CVS doesn't want the bad publicity that could come with a trial.

If only I could've sued all the losers that threw rocks at me while taunting me with racist slurs when I was a kid for a million each...

I probably could've gotten a Papa John's employee fired a few years back for saying that I look like a terrorist, but I just handed the pizza box back and demanded my money back. In retrospect, I should've gotten that asshat fired.
Yeah, I think that most people have been treated like crap due to their race, ethnicity, nationality, weight, gender, sexual orientation, etc etc etc at some point in their life. This is, for better or worse, a universal part of the human diaspora.

Throughout most of my youth, I was one of if not the only white boys in my neighborhood; most people were totally cool with me; first off, I was a kid, and second off, well, I lived in the same neighborhood as them... they may have had their assumptions about "white peoples'" economic status, but here was a white family that moved into an area that no one really moved to if they had a choice... but, there was always someone there to remind me I was an outsider. That I was automatically less masculine, didn't "get it," or deserved to get it because of the transgressions of people I had nothing to do with, long before I was born. I've heard everything... it's not often anymore that I hear anything, but when I do, I always have a comment to put whoever did it right back in the little place that their tiny mind belongs.

This person is just an opportunist who's trying to make a quick buck. She knows they'll settle; she'll go on with her job and her life while some sleazeball lawyer racks up legal fees and the two of them ultimately walk away with a $50,000 split.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
She's not entitled to anything but an apology. $1 million? If I was a judge I'd tell her to go suck an egg.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Leave her alone, shes just trying to live the American dream ... get rich by suing somebody.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,924 times
CVS should investigate and, if it is determined that an employee did in fact enter her name like that, they should be fired. To me, that is an act that goes beyond poor customer service or some performance issue that can be corrected by training and counseling.

With that said, I do not at all believe that the damage here is worth $1M. While I have an (admittedly limited) understanding of the importance of saving face in Asian cultures, the truth is that she is the one who made this public. Her anger is understandable, but it does not warrant a huge payday for her and her attorney just because in this case the perpetrator happens to be employed by a corporation with deep pockets.

Perhaps she should visit some Korean grocers in inner city neighborhoods to see how they deal with racial taunts from those that are judgement-proof.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
As an Asian person, I don't know if I should be more disturbed by the racism or the 1mm lawsuit.

If it happened to me, I'd still be extremely angry but I would not go all out and sue for 1 million. I'd still do everything within reason to get that employee fired for sure and write a letter to CVS's CEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events