Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
And almost everyday somewhere in this country there is at least one triple homicide. They are all intentional, and nobody even cares about most of them. Why is this one case in Boston so special? I don't get it. For a country that has 14,000 intentional homicides a year, it amazes me that so many people get so wrapped up in one single case.
It must be because they were bombers, and it was unknown if they would bomb again.

You're right, in that if they were ordinary punks who walked into a convenience store and shot 3 people dead, yes it would be local news, and yes there would be a manhunt. But a city would not be shut down, and they probably wouldn't make the national news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I have long wondered (since 9/11) why there aren't instances of terrorists setting fire to, say, a factory like the one in West or the fireworks factory in Tennessee and causing mayhem. My guess is they don't because it doesn't have the factor of being spectacular in some way; fortunately for us, so far. Of course I understand that Boston was deliberate and West was apparently accidental. But I do feel the Boston event (event? incident? what's the right word?) since it involved terrorism, there were reasonable concerns that it's part of a larger picture/attack.
The terrorists should give up. They can never top 9/11 for the spectacularly diabolic nature of their attack. Now all they have are disaffected young men who can poke a finger in the eye of a city, a religion, a site, whatever. I also wondered why a dozen or so Beltway Sniper types weren't trained and sent here (or grown here). Apparently I can think diabolically, too... They should give it up. There isn't going to be another caliphate. The tenth century party is over. Get a clue and do something for your own people and stop this stuff. 'sigh'

Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
I know people will think I am a nut, with a tinfoil hat but read "1984". The government controls our media, and for some reason the media is rehashing and scrutinizing Boston. It is tragic and was not expected and it was an international event, but there are reasons for this. Perhaps, the gov't is trying to scare us more and enact more laws to "protect" us.
If you believe the government doesn't lie or distort look at the Gulf of Tonkin incident, look at the untreated share croppers who had syphilis.

Our government is NOT out for the best interest of the people, but for a few elites.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I know people will think I am a nut, with a tinfoil hat but read "1984". The government controls our media, and for some reason the media is rehashing and scrutinizing Boston. It is tragic and was not expected and it was an international event, but there are reasons for this. Perhaps, the gov't is trying to scare us more and enact more laws to "protect" us.
If you believe the government doesn't lie or distort look at the Gulf of Tonkin incident, look at the untreated share croppers who had syphilis.

Our government is NOT out for the best interest of the people, but for a few elites.
Hmm, if this were true wouldn't the "government" be in West Texas looking for (and probably finding) negligence on the part of the company? Rick Perry likes to brag about Texas being pro-business, low regulations, and this appears to be what happens when profit trumps safety.

Alas, you are "informed" by a work of fiction published in 1949.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
I am concerned at the way some here and elsewhere tend to treat the situation in Texas as "just an accident". There was a newspaper story indicating that the last safety inspection of the plant by OSHA took place in 1985.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013...xas-osha-fine/

The plant produced ammonium nitrate based fertilizer. This is the same stuff that is used to manufacture dynamite and other explosives. It is extremely dangerous and must be handled in a very careful manner to prevent occurrences of this nature.

It is premature to speculate much. My personal bet is that when the investigation is completed, it is going to show that carelessness by those operating the plant was directly responsible for this occurrence. So far, the death toll is 14, not 4. A five block area round the plant was pretty much leveled by the explosion.

If the plant owners were running an unsafe operation their culpability is high. How often do fertilizer plants blow up and kill 14 people? Fortunately, its a very rare occurrence. Its proof that these chemicals can be handled safely by someone who is responsible and careful.

Last edited by markg91359; 04-22-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Hmm, if this were true wouldn't the "government" be in West Texas looking for (and probably finding) negligence on the part of the company? Rick Perry likes to brag about Texas being pro-business, low regulations, and this appears to be what happens when profit trumps safety.

Alas, you are "informed" by a work of fiction published in 1949.
The laws/regulations were in place in West. It was the follow thru (by FEDERAL agencies) that was lacking.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post

Well, as Rahm Emmanuel said so eloquently, I believe our government's response to this will mirror his sentiments:

You never let a serious crisis go to waste.
Read more at You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity... - Rahm Emanuel at BrainyQuote

Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The laws/regulations were in place in West. It was the follow thru (by FEDERAL agencies) that was lacking.
Predictable response from you. Sounds like we should double the funding then if you're gonna blame the goverment.

You would blame the FBI more than the Tsarnaev brothers too I'm sure.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Predictable response from you. Sounds like we should double the funding then if you're gonna blame the goverment.

You would blame the FBI more than the Tsarnaev brothers too I'm sure.
Predictable BS from you.

I did not blame the government, so you can stop putting words in my mouth. Thanks ever so. Did federal agencies do a good job of monitoring this hell hole? Hell, no. But it was the owner and management that BROKE the laws that were already in place.

Were the laws in place? Yes.

Were the regulations in place? Yes.

Was the owner/management criminally negligent? Yes.

This is not the government's fault. But it's also not because there were no regulations or laws in place. It's management's fault because they did not abide by the law.

And where you get the idea that I would blame the FBI more than the bombers is beyond me. Perhaps you pulled that idea out of some dark, dank body crevice.

I believe in this really nifty concept called "personal responsibility." Which means, simply put, that I blame the bombers. And just for the record, if I hear Borat #2 described as a "boy" one more time, I'm going to probably become rude. As my son so succinctly says, "He's a grown ass man."

Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I did not blame the government, so you can stop putting words in my mouth.
"It was the follow thru (by FEDERAL agencies) that was lacking."

This is what made me think you were blaming the govt. Your party consistently works for smaller, less-intrusive government starting with the funding, and blames them when things go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events