Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 01:44 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Assuming he snapped... he might have premeditated it for a while. A lot of people who kill fantasize and plan it out.
I doubt anyone "snaps" and decides to kill themselves and their family.

As for the surviving family, they will have a lot more to deal with than being fatherless if the man goes to prison. To know that your father/husband tried to murder everyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2023, 02:54 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,143,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Why do people snap. It is very sad. Now he is off to prison and the children will have no Dad. Another fatherless family.

Why can't people just go quietly off themselves?
If you care, and I must say was mildly curious m'self: go to NIH .gov. "Murder-Suicide: A Review of the Recent Literature." A dry read but I cherry picked a line from the "conclusions" that should feed the red meat nature of this story.

"There are certain clinical presentations that should alert mental health professionals to be suspicious of the risk of possible murder-suicide: a middle-aged man who is recently separated or facing pending estrangement from his intimate partner and who is depressed and has access to firearms;"

Of course in this case it was car meets cliff. Not: dad's magnum meets family. Can't take away a man's Tesla after all just because he's depressed. Bummer for all involved.

Old 01-06-2023, 05:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
It seems Dr. Patel is a family annihilator. He's just not very good at it.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:06 PM

16,559 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
and his mother-in-law
Well that one is understandable.

In all seriousness, if you are a loser and want to kill yourself that is one thing (despite the pain you cause to others), but why kill your children and those who love you.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:38 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
One CT scan too many at work drove him over the edge.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:40 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

In all seriousness, if you are a loser and want to kill yourself that is one thing (despite the pain you cause to others), but why kill your children and those who love you.
"If I can't have them, no one will."

Old 01-06-2023, 10:34 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
People fall asleep all the time driving though. They've got something else, suicide note maybe.

Or maybe his wife and or kids told LE he had a death wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
While the following is pure speculation, I post it both to spark discussion, as well as an exercise in instant speculation, before having coffee, on a Friday morning.

They are not certain, but they have enough evidence that DA thinks he can get a conviction. Since it is California, this means they have a LOT of evidence.

The police have testimony from the wife. The children confirmed the testimony.

Scene of accident shows unusalhigh speed collision with guard rail, which supports wifes testimony. Data from the Tesla confirms the driver did not brake, and steered the car off the road, into the fall, no oncoming traffic or object in view. Warning were going off at the time of the accident.

The only reason the story is "a story" is because it was a Tesla. Which also is the only reason all the family members survived.

This ends my speculation for the day. Drive safe, and buy A Tesla. Unless you are married to a lunatic. There is no "save me from a suicide" mode on a Tesla.

Yet.

I think what you posted will end up being close to what actually happened, especially the wife and kids telling he confessed as they were driving off the cliff.

Quote:

I feel bad that the kids will be left with emotional scars from it, especially if they were all awake.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:

"to spare them the pain of living without him"

Old 01-07-2023, 08:32 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
If you care, and I must say was mildly curious m'self: go to NIH .gov. "Murder-Suicide: A Review of the Recent Literature." A dry read but I cherry picked a line from the "conclusions" that should feed the red meat nature of this story.

"There are certain clinical presentations that should alert mental health professionals to be suspicious of the risk of possible murder-suicide: a middle-aged man who is recently separated or facing pending estrangement from his intimate partner and who is depressed and has access to firearms;"

Of course in this case it was car meets cliff. Not: dad's magnum meets family. Can't take away a man's Tesla after all just because he's depressed. Bummer for all involved.
And you can't take away a pilot's license or plane just because you suspect he may be depressed after a divorce or separation? (Shades of MH370, and Germanwings flight 9525, French alps). Here's what Wiki says about the pilot in the Germanwings (a carrier owned by Lufthansa) case:
Quote:
The crash was deliberately caused by the co-pilot, Andreas Lubitz, who had previously been treated for suicidal tendencies and declared "unfit to work" by his doctor. Lubitz kept this information from his employer and instead reported for duty
An airline can have all the rules in place and cause for alerts that it wants, but it seems that pilots determined to take down their own plane and themselves and passengers with it will find a way to avoid drawing attention to their psychological state.

The question is: why would a depressed pilot choose suicide by passenger carrier? In the case of a family, it might be that the father decided, that he didn't want his wife and kids to live out their lives in sorrow, knowing dad offed himself, so he decided to take out the entire kit and kaboodle. But why kill a hundred or more complete strangers along with yourself?

Old 01-07-2023, 09:05 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Guy wrecked a perfectly good Tesla!

I just wish these suicidal maniacs would just kill themselves first then worry about taking others with them second!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events