Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 01:26 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,530,949 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/harvar...heft-1.6877292

Quote:
Lodge sometimes took the body parts — which included heads, brains, skin and bones — back to his home, where he lived with his wife, Denise, 63, and some remains were sent to buyers through the mail, authorities said. Lodge also allegedly allowed buyers to come to the morgue to pick what remains they wanted to buy.

Bodies donated to Harvard Medical School are used for education, teaching or research purposes. Once they are no longer needed, the cadavers are usually cremated and the ashes are returned to the donor's family or buried in a cemetery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 02:28 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
I work in a medical school- I'm surprised there was anything left to steal. At the end of our Pathology course, there is little "salvageable".

Old 06-15-2023, 02:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Hahaha! You beat me to it!

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/14/u...fts/index.html

This has to be one of the most disgusting and ghoulish crimes have heard about recently. Sadly it happens far too often: https://www.theguardian.com/media/20.../23/bbc.usnews

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-6108424.html

https://nypost.com/2023/05/13/nyc-do...rgans-lawsuit/

Old 06-15-2023, 03:44 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Why would people buy body parts of deceased persons? Can the organs be transplanted after the people die?

Old 06-16-2023, 03:14 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Why would people buy body parts of deceased persons? Can the organs be transplanted after the people die?
I had the same question although my basic knowledge tells me those organs are dead and can't be used as transplants.

I'm sure they will argue the body was to be cremated anyway so no loss but it's still a disgusting act.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:51 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
People probably use the dead organs to further study the human anatomy (they been studying it for centuries while the human anatomy is the same today as it was in the time of Ancient Egypt), witchcraft (hey, it happens), to make a special drinkable juice, whatever. The point is people have uses for those dead organs, understandable ones and disgusting ones.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:58 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Here is one of the people(?) involved in buying parts.

https://local21news.com/news/local/p...s-june-15-2023

Quote:
According to the U.S. Attorney from the Middle District of Pennsylvania, Pauley was one of six people charged in connection with trafficking stolen human remains. Authorities said those body parts were stolen from the Anatomical Gifts Program at Harvard Medical School.

That indictment stated Pauley received human skin from people in Boston, that he allegedly tanned and turned into leather.

A woman from Massachusetts who owns a store that sells "creepy" things bought two faces. I'll bet she could make some "art" with it and sell it from the back of the store for some good money. Also two stillborn babies were sold. Imagine what they would do with those. This is about collecting and crafting items using human parts for a hobby. Perhaps there are also fetishists using them for even more disgusting purposes.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:33 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I had the same question although my basic knowledge tells me those organs are dead and can't be used as transplants.

I'm sure they will argue the body was to be cremated anyway so no loss but it's still a disgusting act.

Exactly and I'm not surprised someone didn't do it before these guys. You never know what a school does with remains if it can't use them they sell them because they need the money more. It's es[ecially disturbing because it's Harvard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Here is one of the people(?) involved in buying parts.

https://local21news.com/news/local/p...s-june-15-2023

A woman from Massachusetts who owns a store that sells "creepy" things bought two faces. I'll bet she could make some "art" with it and sell it from the back of the store for some good money. Also two stillborn babies were sold. Imagine what they would do with those. This is about collecting and crafting items using human parts for a hobby. Perhaps there are also fetishists using them for even more disgusting purposes.

Beyond disgusting. I'm not surprised though, people profit from donated bodies. I've said it in a few body donation threads on CD, one was a womans veteran husband she had donated to a broker company that bought the body when it was focused in an pay per view autopsy that charged about $800 a head. She was not happy because he specified medical research. IIRC his body was not used or accepted because of possible COVID or he was too old, may have had surgeries where body parts had already been implanted to him such as a back fusion.

CD thread - Louisiana woman learns WWII vet husband’s cadaver dissected at pay-per-view event: 'It's horrible'

Article - Louisiana woman learns WWII vet husband’s cadaver dissected at pay-per-view event: 'It's horrible'
Elsie Saunders thought her husband's body was donated for 'scientific purposes'

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-16-2023 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2023, 06:34 PM

12,842 posts, read 868,983 times
It all sounds like an episode of Criminal Minds.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:28 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
A number of the old west outlaws feared this kind of crap more than they did being killed. They still got put on display and dissected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events